Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,236
Newest Member: dale67
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Turbo oven roasters?
Lawnmowerman
Hi. My name is ben. Have been perusing this site for about 9 months. Been wanting to join up but technical problems have retarded me. Here i am, still retarded by technical problems. Trouble logging on. Cant log off. Various error codes are hampering just about every move i make. And i have not a clue what any of them mean. I am using my webphone because thats what ive got. On to the subject of roasting coffee beans. Can someone who is in the know please share with me what are the advantages of a turbo oven roaster. Why is it better than a hgbm? Ive been reading about some of the problems some people are having and it makes me wonder if they are worth the trouble. Am using hgbm with relative ease but its cumbersome and unsightly. Otoh, t o roasters can be made relatively compact and are~sightly. With all that shiny metal how could i go wrong? Than i learned from jon of honey badger renown, that black metallic paint on a roaster makes the beans taste better.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Lawnmowerman
To continue, i found out today that i have an inferior t o with many design flaws. I believe they can all be overcome w a little help from others. I have a sewing machine motor to replace the fan motor like farmroast did, but then it would be not so compact. And i would have to find something shiny to cover it with, because im too cheap to buy black metallic paint.

Lawnmowerman
I made a bean cooler thats pretty eye catching,but i need a vac to operate it. Will post pic when i figure it out. As soon as i can get the time to tear up the vacuum cleaner thats been waiting, ill make it a self contained cooler.

Koffee Kosmo
OK
Whats the difference between a HGBM and a Turbo Oven Roaster

In favour of the Turbo Oven
1 Its more compact
2 Its cleaner in its operation
3 Quieter operation

Roast capacity is the same in general DIY terms

As for your Cooler
I built this one & used a bathroom exhaust fan for $2 bucks

https://docs.goog...&pli=1

KK

I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Lawnmowerman
One question about agitation for k k. Did you make your design slower speed because one fifty rpms just isn't necessary?in other words is the slower speed better? Or would a bread machine platform work as well? Oh,that's three questions.

Koffee Kosmo
Lawnmowerman wrote:
One question about agitation for k k. Did you make your design slower speed because one fifty rpms just isn't necessary?in other words is the slower speed better? Or would a bread machine platform work as well? Oh,that's three questions.

My design is 68 rpm
However it has 2 blades so if you double the rpm due to an extra blade you have 136 rpm close to 150 rpm of the single blade for the BM

Speed is not the crucial factor
In the end it depends on how well the beans mix & tumble that give superior roasts

KK
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

Lawnmowerman
My webphone is retarding me again! I wish i knew what to do to get the server to consistently log me on. I keep getting message that says document contains no data. Then a blank screen. Ive tried the contact me option and the site tells me i entered the wrong validation code. I did not, however. So by some fluke i was able to log on after numerous trys. If someone could contact me and try to walk me thru,well this is so frustrating

jedovaty
Try a different browser on your phone. I have success with opera mini browser.

Lawnmowerman
I noticed that when members are logged on, its only for brief periods. I guess if i were to stay logged on i might be tying up the server, but cant be sure. If i log off i dont know when the undefined powers that be will allow me to log on again. I wish i could laugh at this but my head is starting to hurt from banging it on the wall. Wish i could talk coffee tech not computer tech. Thank you again for letting me join this fine club.

Lawnmowerman
A different browser. Thank you 4 the suggestion. I will try that.

Lawnmowerman
What caused me to be designated @ quarter pounder? I had thought it had to do with consumption but that cant be it. Must be the number of posts?

Koffee Kosmo
Lawnmowerman wrote:
What caused me to be designated @ quarter pounder? I had thought it had to do with consumption but that cant be it. Must be the number of posts?

You are correct - its based on post count
Post more and you will change your status ThumbsUp

KK

Lawnmowerman
If it were based on consumption i would be much higher up there. Well, see soon if my technical malady has been rectified. Next log on.

Lawnmowerman
Im starting to get uneven roasts with my bm setup and have finally broken down and gotten out my chunk of aluminum to fashion a new stirring paddle which is why the ?s about agitation. Hope to use the same stock in the t o roaster i have in the works, albiet slowly in the works. The honey do list takes priority as does the 6month old so the actual building lags. I still am using the original paddle and its quite distorted at this point. Upgrade is in order.

jedovaty
Have you tried adjusting batch size, or moving distance of the heat gun?

Lawnmowerman
I keep my batch size just below 1 lb and as low as 3/4. I roast 1 or 2 bags a wk. Each bag contains a liberal scoop of 1.5 minimum and 1.9 lb max high quality green. split it in half and thats a batch. @ 10 bucks a bag i think im pretty spoiled. I would guess this paddle has gone through 50 or more roasts and is plastic. It trails its original position by 45deg plus i think it might be teflon! And my wife thinks i need to build a new stirring paddle! I must make it.

Lawnmowerman
Heat gun placement is fixed by a tube attached to the bottom of the lid. This keeps the gun cooler and my hands free to manually log temps, am using a hf dmm thermocouple. Hf gun has high and low and i have the bm element. Stick a cooling fan on the side of the gun and its like 9 speeds and 2granny gears. I know i need a rsc but this what i got to work with for now. Various attempts to improve efficiency have resulted in my most recent roast exibiting the same burnt rubber taste i knew i wasnt getting but,oh great, i have scorching! Plus was getting a ror [email protected] 1st! Jack hg up to full to get out of it. Thats why i want to build from scratch. I have hacked this thing up to the point that it really doesnt hold the heat.

Lawnmowerman
All my materials must be cheap or free. One of my ocds is that of accumulating junk that i may someday use and i can finally use that pneumatic cylinder made of al stock. Once ive quartered it will have 4 lengths shaped like a wedge with a slight indent and 6 inches long to work with. And my next batch i wont neglect to cover w foil so to keep et down. We really do learn from others mistakes. I have to make this fit a 10flatted shaft. If i had the skill to thread metal i could use a set screw against the flat but im smart enough to know my deficiencies. I will split the end and make a clamp which i will tighten w a thru bolt that contacts the flat of the shaft. Since i have no machine skills i will call it metal carving and do it any way.

Lawnmowerman
I will use my metal hacking skills i learn today when i build the stirring rod on my t o roaster. Which puts this thread back on track. Im assuming the slower speed rotation equates to quieter operation? I have actually begun this build, but whats in service must take priority.hope my thousand words paint a clear enough picture.

Lawnmowerman
I ran my bm roaster w the old paddle and saw a split almost the entire height. My metaI cutting blade is shot so i decided to just run it a little bit more and it will fall off by itself. Ill probably use something else if it breaks. I dont want to over engineer a bm roaster. Otoh this t o roaster i keep talking about is looking more and more appealing the more i stare at all these unassembled parts. I dont mind overengineering my t o roaster. Im trying to avoid something that looks like it was thrown together, like my bm roaster. As im making this post im try ing to drink this burnt rubber coffee. I have never had this before and i hope to never repeat it again. It was 3/4 lb load, a little smaller than the usual7/8lb. Could the lower bean mass be lowering the thermal efficiency? I wouldnt be surprised the way i have butchered the housing. But the beans werent circulating badly at all. A kidney bean added went up and down every few seconds.

Jump to Forum: