bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6735
Donations
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Honey Badger 1k
bryce_wes
Thanks for the info. That is more than enough flexibility for what I am looking for. I will try to post a thread as I build the roaster.

jkoll42
Hi all - it's been a while. Work, family etc.

So after 6 years I had my first failure on the roaster. I was planning to roast some batches in single digit weather, dumped the beans and maybe 15 seconds later the stirrer seized.

As best as I can tell after probably 250 batches of heat cycles the long preheat got the aluminum fatigued enough that when a bean got jammed between the stirrer and the RC wall it bent the stirrer back and jammed it against the RC wall. They were pretty small Guats, not peaberry but small.

There aren't any cracks in the metal and that gear motor only puts out 4 in-lb of torque so that's my only thought.

Back to the shop tomorrow to make the most annoying to make part of the whole build out of steel. Let this be a warning to anyone making a stirring arm out of aluminum that's getting hit directly by a torch during preheat - you might only get 6 years out of it roar

Happy New Year all!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

jkoll42
Update on the stirring arm for anyone who might be looking to build something similar. Finally got around to fixing it. To make fabrication and future mods/repairs easier I kept the geometry the same but totally redesigned the assembly.

It is now a piece of 1" square aluminum stock for the spindle with mild steel bar attached for strength. The leading edge is thin flat stainless as it is much easier to profile it for height/curve of the RC. Where the set screws meet the shaft I ground flat spots on the shaft as a sort of keyway. All set screws/screws tapped at 10-24.
jkoll42 attached the following image:
img_20180226_080200.jpg

-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JackH
Jon - Glad you got it back together and working again. How fast does that spin?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkoll42
iirc it's 200rpm
-Jon

homeroaster
Awesome
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1

http://www.homeroaster.com
Jump to Forum: