Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We already believe my roasts are better than what we have b

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,193
Newest Member: wclark5179
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rwanda Bulk Buy in the Cup
sabalism
seedlings wrote:
Great discussion all! I believe this illustrates the 'art' of roasting coffee. Now, when I say 'art' some of us read 'correct way'. But, no! When I say 'art' I mean it like Picasso or Hendrix or Hawthorne.

CHAD

Definitely. And a similar comparison : this coffee seems more like a full set of oil paints than a 16 count box of crayons. While both media will allow someone to draw a tree, the oil set will certainly require more understanding of light and shadow and spectrum to take full advantage of extra possibilities. These have significant nuances ( well that's almost an oxymoron) and are going to show off differently for each roaster , even using the same machines.

Also, I can't help but wish I'd claimed twice as much of this. It kills some of the coffees I've spent much more on as far as enjoyment and interest. And yeah, it is just awesome freshly roasted when it's cooled just enough to not gum up your grinder. How are you all brewing this? I'm not really finding it at it's best in a FP but in a siphon it is unbelievable as well as very good in a CCD. Really tempted to take 40 grams to a local barista and pay full price to try a double shot lol. J

JETROASTER
City w/ 2 days rest>>>super -auto espresso.
In your face molasses!!!
It looks darker than it tastes. A very nice little bean.
Thanks Chad! -Scott

oldgearhead
This is the very BEST coffee I've had in 2011-2012.
Thanx Chad!

No oil on my beans...

seedlings
oldgearhead wrote:
This is the very BEST coffee I've had in 2011-2012.
Thanx Chad!

I think so too, and after her first cup, my wife says, "this is my favorite coffee yet". However, I have yet to replicate in my 2lb roaster what the popper does... frustrating!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

CoryM
OK, with another day of rest this coffee is great. The blend of cocoa and molasses/maple syrup is now wonderfully balanced with the citrus notes. The tartness i noticed in the finish is now gone.

After roasting and drinking fresh great coffee for a couple of months now, I'm amazed by the experience. The way slight tweaks in the roasting process change the flavor in the cup, then how that cups rises and falls in the following days, and finally, in a single cup, the experience changes from the first sip to the last.

Store and *$ coffee is just so boring now.

BenGeldreich
CoryM wrote:
Batch #1 is very bright, but definitely has an orange/citrus quality to it. The body is light and the finish is long with a tartness ...

I roasted 1LB to City+ and made an Aeropress 11 hours after the roast. Cory's description above is right on par with my roast. This morning about 40 hours post roast I made a Syphon pot. I am very pleased at the brightness and acidic nature that remains in the coffee without the long tartness finish. As the coffee cools the long aftertaste is present but again less. I am going to roast 1/2 a pound to FC+ to see how this bean performs on my Strega.
Edited by BenGeldreich on 02/22/2012 10:44 AM
--------

Ben

Turbo Oven Roaster w/ Variac, TC4Cw/ Bourbon | Bezzera Strega | Baratza Vario Grinder | Yama 5 Cup Syphon | Aeropress

www.bengeldreich.com
jedovaty
Two things!

1. I found what looks like slate in my most recent batch.. just a heads up for everyone, save your grinder :)
jano.portablehole.net/fridge/roasterpics/slate.jpg

2. I don't think my roaster likes the rwanda. It's really hard to control the temp, just rapidly climbs up to FC, then does wacky things compared to my yirg, columbian tolima, and mandheling. I wanted to see what it would taste like just at second crack, and the temps started to drop about 1/4 way there after 1st crack finished, I panicked then stopped the roast. With the other beans, the bean temp continues to rise. My roaster seems to be consistent, FC at 392-400F, then SC from 420-430F. This one is just... weird, I was getting SC popping just over 400.

jano.portablehole.net/fridge/roasterpics/rwanda_dark.jpg
Edited by jedovaty on 02/25/2012 11:58 AM

seedlings
Hey jedovaty- these do seem to be smallish beans, and I would guess that smaller beans would be easier to take to heat up. Can you reduce the drop-in temperature, or the overall temperatures? I haven't noticed any significant differences with this bean compared to others, but, everyone's roaster is different for sure.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
5 lb load.....well into 2nd Crack.....no apologies. Brewed thru Bloomfield Airpot.
Not normally what I would do with a Rwanda, but with all the molasses....I had to try.
Not everybodys thing, but for those that like it...fantastic!
Thanks Chad...nice find. -Scott

Jump to Forum: