Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: CSCCA
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Caffe in Belgium
freewillow
Hi John, I tried your fast ramp up of Guatemala and, as I expected, I could hear very clearly the first crack ( only when the ramp up is too slow, I do not hear it ). Pre heat @ 150°, @250° until first crack 11:00 minutes, lowered T° to 227. Stopped at 15 minutes but did not hear second crack. First real smoke when I opened the container for Fast Cooling. I guess roast level Full City ( I was shooting for Full City +. Suggestions? Lowered too much the temperature or did not wait long enough. :-). Shock

freewillow
I will send you my profile by mail and taste notes after 24 hours tomorrow. Thank you for all you do for me.

John Despres
Hi, Guy.

I think you may have ended your roast too soon.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Army Coffee
:| I did the same thing with my Mexican Turquesa this weekend. Managed to pull it back together with my next 2-pounds. I am not sure why I am so afraid of over roasting, but I have had the tendency to pull things early from the Gene Cafe when I compare it to what I did with the Popcorn Popper...Always errored on the side of over-doing with that!

Cheers!
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

freewillow

John Despres wrote:
Hi, Guy.

I think you may have ended your roast too soon.

John

Thanks John, thats my guess too. But 4 minutes afther first 3 cracks, this is not a maximum. Rather that extend time, would'nt temperature a bit higher be a valid option. After all if you follow SM temperatures, second crack correspond to temperature of 235/240°C?

I found on:

http://www.avacuppa.com.au/mediawiki/...Techniques

an interesting view point: this is to decrease from 250°C to different temperatures in order to get to different roast levels:
C Go to step 7 for the Cooling steps.
C+ Adjust the Temp knob to 230C
FC Adjust the Temp knob to 235C
FC+ Adjust the Temp knob to 240C
Vienna Adjust the Temp knob to 245C

BAd idea, or something to consider? Regards

(edit: made link clickable)
Edited by John Despres on 02/21/2012 6:52 AM

John Despres
Yes, you can certainly give that a try. Thom's guides are quite valuable for getting started. They are not the end-all, be-all for refined roast profiles, however.

The thing to keep in mind here is none of our roasters are the same. I think you're getting close to determining what your roaster is capable of. I can certainly help with the subtleties, but you make the final decisions.

Second crack begins at roughly 454F (235C) and as long as your set temp is above that, you will bring the bean to it. The closer your set temp is to that goal, the slower you will reach it. If you want to get to first or second crack sooner, raise your temperature.

Here's an experiment to get to know your Gene Cafe - Preheat your roaster, set the temperature at maximum and let it rip until the beans are black and oily. Take notes and pay attention! Things will happen fast after about 9-10 minutes. In fact, first and second crack may pile on top of each other.

Do not throw the beans away! Taste 'em first. If they taste awful, then toss 'em out.

John
Edited by John Despres on 02/21/2012 10:03 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

freewillow
OK John, Do it with 1/2 a Pound? What about fire if I let it go @250 all the way. All the way to waht, Fire:|. How do you take control of fireB)

John Despres
No! NO FIRES!! Fires are against the rules. Besides, the coffee tastes bad.:yuck:

End when the beans become shiny. There will be smoke. Just be vigilant and you will be fine. Do not walk away from your roaster - no beer, no wine.

You can use as much coffee as you like, but a half pound will be good. Use a wet processed bean so there will be less chaff. There will be smoke.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

freewillow
OK John,

I did what you told me. Used some Brazil from SM. Preheat 3 minutes @ 150°c, First phase, dry @ 150° for 5 minutes and then all the way up to 250°.
8:30 temp 220°C: yellowing
9:30 temp 227°C: peanut
10:30 temp 239°C: Hazelnut color + First chaf on the screen
13:00 temp 244°C: first crack underway (3 cracks together)
Smoke, smoke, more smoke
16:30 Second crack underway
17:30 Oil on first beams
18: EOR, Fast cooling outside the gene.
Never been there, I am glad I did.

Here are picture with SM colors background ( not sure if colors are correct!). Vienna Roast? No oil after 3 hours.
I would add this picture if I knew how to do it :@. Will send it by mail with the profile.

John Despres
Okay, now that you've run this, you have a much better idea of the roaster's capabilities.

Now the trick will be to get those light roasts you like.

John
Edited by John Despres on 02/23/2012 8:18 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

freewillow
Hello John and C°

I have now 30 roasts under my belt and never have been dissapointed. I guess I am not that difficult with my taste:).
I clearly like a good level of acidity in my expresso. This is why I try to stay away from second crack. I have no problem of hearing first crack now that I raise temperature to 240°C after 5 minutes of drying phase @ 150°C.

Here comes my question. I am at 30+ roasts now and I still see NO REASON to clean my cylinder nor the chaff collector grids with soap and hot water. They still look perfectly clean to me. No odor of old coffee oils. Is this exceptional since I have been through second crack only once, or do I miss something? Please advise. :BigHug:

Jump to Forum: