Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: CSCCA
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Caffe in Belgium
freewillow
Hello,

I have a question that could be a bit difficult for you guys in the US, but let's try. I am contemplating buying a Gene but I am a bit concerned about two things:

Since the model in Europe are running under 230 volts, the gene can behave a little differently than with 110 Volts. Do you think that your roasting profiles will be "usable" for me. When I am saying usable, I understand that a profile cannot be used without at least small changes since the same coffee will differ in humidity, freshness level...

The second thing is that I am horrified ShockShock at the amount of heater units to be replaced. I have NEVER heard about the same problem in Europe. Could it be that the 110 volts elements have a weakness that the 230 Volts units does not have?

Finally where do you publish you roast profiles. I cannot retrieve them on this site. I guess I am blind B). By the way do you have a favorite worsheet in order to keep trace of your roasts?

Sorry, my subject was way too long, but I am pretty hot right now :)
Edited by allenb on 12/27/2011 4:44 PM

allenb
Welcome again,

Look under "All About Roasting", "Roasting Profiles" for profile discussions and examples.

Also, in our downloads section:http://forum.homeroasters.org/downloa...p?cat_id=1 you'll see some roast log options as well.

Help should be on the way to answer your Gene questions.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 12/27/2011 4:58 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

freewillow
Thanks Allen:)

ginny
Allen:
We lost all of our downloads last year. I sent a memo out asking people to send me any so we can upload again.

I will find a place for our mew to go meantime.

g
Grin

seedlings
Does anyone in Belgum sell a 230V to 120V transformer or converter, or a universal adapter of some sort? This may be worth a try.

I haven't used either a Behmor or a Genecafe. If money were no object I would buy a Genecafe because of it's greater control. If batch size were more important, the Behmor will roast twice the batch size of the Genecafe. So, you will have to weigh the options!

Will you be roasting for brewing as espresso, or do you also make drip-brew coffee?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb

freewillow wrote:
Thanks Allen:)

Sorry about the lack of downloads.

I forgot about the loss of them last year. We'll find something for you in the meantime.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

freewillow
I have no intention to change from 220 volts to 110! 22o volts is way much more flexible since you have more power potential. It is one reason why some people with Behmor 110 Volts can hardly achieve very dark roasted coffee. No, I am looking for profiles on Gene caffé and wonder if the change from 110V to 220 would change these profiles. I do not think so since the whole thing is temperature controlled. The only thing is that it may take less time to reach some high temperature on 220 Volts.

I cannot see a CLEAR list of Profiles for the Gene except some from 5 years ago ( Mr. Gene Cafe aka Eddie Dove in 2007). I am surprised to see no updates on these.

I am basically interested in Expresso coffee, not really drip coffee.

gene
A roasting profile for Gene Cafe would be universal be it 110, 220 or 440 volts.
I have logged my roasts for years and would be happy to give you an example. Just tell me what beans you have to roast.

After lessons from Eddie Dove and especially John Despres's wisdom thru the years we are getting closer to perfection! Ha!

Regardless of volts one would still want to take up to five minutes for drying phase, first crack in the 11-13 minute range, thirty seconds after first crack ramp temp down so you don't immediately go into second crack, etc.

For years I have logged every minute of every roast:
Here is a recent example:
Ethiopia Nigusie Lemma Jimma-bought from Sweet Maria's. Tom said this one would roast from C+ to FC+. He said he enjoyed this one more at C+.
Oct 18 ambient temp 69 degrees, 300 grams:
300 degrees to three minutes, 350 to five and then set to 465, minute 6=397, minute 7=408, 8=419, 9=428, 10=433....outlying crack=11:20, full crack=11:35, down to 442 at 12:20, second smoke at 15:00 and immediately hit cool. This roast went to FC+. I made a mistake by taking it too deep.

14 months later same beans:
Dec 21, 2011, 250 grams, ambient temp 52:
300 for first three minutes, then 350 til minute five, set to 467...
Minute 6=368, 7=386, 8=402, 9=413, 10=426
full crack=13;10
@13:10 DECREASE TEMP TO 440, COOL AT 14:55
Roast is very close to C+.

Hope this helps.
By the way there is absolutely nothing wrong with GC 115 volt heating elements. I paniced also a few years ago and purchased a spare just in case. Mine had burned due to me taking a roast off at 440 degrees. Very foolish.
While I was waiting on new element had old wire shortened and re-crimped. Has worked like a charm for another 900 roasts and new element is still in box.
Let us know how we can help.
gene

gene
One mistake on second roast above:

First Crack was at 13:10, time down was 13:40, 30 seconds later and cool at 14:55.

The ambient temp on my back deck on DEc 21 was 52, quit a bit cooler than roast one and prob accounts for later crack. I normally like first crack before 13 minutes depending on how high the bean was grown.
g

freewillow
Thank you gene. You really made my day with your very comprehensive answer. As explained in my presentation subject, I am fairly new in this exciting world. I bought my Oscar + Grinta grinder only a few months ago. It is because it is not easy at all, here in Belgium, to find freshly roasted coffee that I am investigating possibilities of using a home roaster. Money and WAF (Wife acceptance Factor) is for the moment a bit tight. Behmor is out of stock here in Europe until Spring but I may have an opportunity on a barely used Gene.

If I get the Gene, no doubd that I will ask you for help. Would you, by any chance, have some profiles on worksheet format? I love worksheet because they are very flexible. It would allow for example to quickly transform FArenheit into Centigrades for temperatures.........:)

gene
I have hundreds of profiles but none on computer format. Would be happy to send you any profile. I do have a sheet which is on computer. I fill them out longhand.
Actually it would be easy to use this sheet and computerize them in MS Word in the future.

Just let me know here or at gecounts at gmail.com and I'll zip you my profile sheet.
gene

John Despres
Good morning and happy new year!

I think similar profiles will work for either machine. Perhaps you'll have to tweak them as yours may heat quicker or slower. That's for you to discover and we will be more than happy to help.

Gene's profiles will work quite well as a starting point and from there you can adjust to your own needs.

I'll send a PM so you can send me your e-mail address and I will send you my electronic log as well as a few roast profiles.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
freewillow

gene wrote:
I have hundreds of profiles but none on computer format. Would be happy to send you any profile. I do have a sheet which is on computer. I fill them out longhand.
Actually it would be easy to use this sheet and computerize them in MS Word in the future.

Just let me know here or at gecounts at gmail.com and I'll zip you my profile sheet.
gene

Thank You gene, Yes please send what you have in electronic format to [email protected]

Thanks

freewillow

John Despres wrote:
Good morning and happy new year!

I think similar profiles will work for either machine. Perhaps you'll have to tweak them as yours may heat quicker or slower. That's for you to discover and we will be more than happy to help.

Gene's profiles will work quite well as a starting point and from there you can adjust to your own needs.

I'll send a PM so you can send me your e-mail address and I will send you my electronic log as well as a few roast profiles.

John

Thank you John. Your worsheet is GREAT. The only problem is that we are not used to FArenheit in Europe. Do you think that it would be easy to change the graph for centigrades?

freewillow
I was with a friend 2 days ago and he made a roast of 150g of Yirgacheffe ( half a pound ). I was estonished to hear the first crack so loud and clear. I have read that most gene users have a problem to hear the first crack during their roast. Would it be that the gene is louder that the behmor or just that the Yirgacheff has a violent first crack? If the first crack is so difficults to hear on the gene, this is a major drawback compared to the Behmor. Am I wrong?

John Despres
I've never really had a problem hearing first crack. I used a stethoscope for a bit; it was some help, but I think I got it pretty quickly.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres

freewillow wrote:
Thank you John. Your worsheet is GREAT. The only problem is that we are not used to FArenheit in Europe. Do you think that it would be easy to change the graph for centigrades?

I'll have to look at it - there probably is a way...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

freewillow
OK John and other nice friends, the deal on the gene café is getting very close now. So, time is approaching where I will need to have good green beans at home. I intend to order with SM, the 18 pounds flat box. That is the most efficient way to get some coffee internationally.

I have the intention to buy a single origin here in Belgium in order to brake the ice and get used to teh géné. I would take a SO that can go trough first and second crack in order to try to hear/recognise them. I can put my ands on Santos for exemple. Is this a good idea? How much should I buy for these first trials?

Secondly, order some SO with SM. I guess that I should start with SO that are not too difficult to roast. I also have read that "blends" is not the way to go before you have some real experience in coffee roasting.

CAn the big guys help me with this? Thanks

Guy/Freewillow
:coffee:

freewillow
Hi everybody. My Gene is about to be home. So time has come to order some coffee beans at SM. I intend to order the following at the end of the week. Remarks and above all, profiles are highly sought after for these varieties. Thank you::smileycoffee:
El Salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon - 2 lbs
Ecuador Organic Espindola Small Producers - 2 lbs
Ethiopia Pulp Natural Process Limu - 2 lbs
Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber Espresso Blend - 2 lbs
Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi - 1 lbs
Guatemala Acatenenango -Finca La Soledad - 2 lbs
Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O - 2 lbs
Ethiopia Illubabor -Camp Cooperative - 2 lbs
Sumatra Dry-Hulled Aceh Bukit - 2 lbs
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate - 1 lbs

Guy

John Despres
Good morning, Guy.

Profiles can be a wide varied set of numbers based on your own machine; no two are the same and your power may be different than mine.

As soon as you get your Gene Cafe, do this: Make sure the drum and chaff collectors are clean of any chaff or bits of beans and from a cold start, set your temperature and timer at the highest settings and push start - do not add beans. Using a good timer or stopwatch, time from the start until the moment your empty roaster reaches the highest possible temperature. Send me the time. This will help me in guiding you further.

All of your coffees look great and will be fun to roast.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: