Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
to wait or not to wait?
yantacaw
hi all,

i've had my gene for about 7 or 8 months (defected from a behmor when a near new gene became available 2nd hand at a very, very good price).

something i'm curious to hear about is whether or not fellow gene roasters wait from 1 roast to the next or simply make a night of it and bang out the batches.

I think while this could maybe apply to those who use the full cool down cycle of the gene, I'm really more interested in hearing about the practices of those who use their own external cooling as this clearly makes it possible to do successive roasts with very little delay.

if you go straight into your next roast, for those who preheat on the first roast, do you bother preheating on successive roasts or do you use some other measure such as the starting temp of any additional roasts to determine whether and for how long you might preheat again?

if memory serves, i believe vendors like sweet marias and burman advise against roasting back to back batches in the gene. i believe the going argument is that it has potential to shorten the lifespan of some machine parts.

for me personally, i tend to go all in and make a 'session' of it and typically roast about 4 or 5 8oz to 10oz batches back to back. i run the cool down for 2 minutes and the e stop the machine to continue cooling beans externally. i'd say, typically, i'm looking at just a few minutes tops before moving on to the next batch (this time accounts for cooling, labeling & putting the beans into a container, & vacuuming the chaff). I have gone back and forth from pre-heating successive batches to not bothering with a preheat at all.

I'm curious to hear from others what your approach is and why. I'm also interested in knowing whether anyone has found that the bean integrity is ever compromised by back to back batches (i suspect that it helps to be thoughtful of what's being roasted after what to avoid chances of tipping or scorching?

thanks!

John Despres
Hi, Yantacaw.

I've been using my Gene Cafe for just about 4 years now and am coming up on 1000 roasts. I've replaced the heater 2 or three times (don't remember for sure) and I've repaired three heaters. (One was sent to me by Eddie Dove).

There's the history. The heater's a heater, right? I figure it's for heating. Yes, it probably will wear out one day due to use, over-use or abuse. I figure keeping that sucker hot is using it to it's fullest capability. Besides I don't have a lot of time to watch the machine cool.

First roast of the day, I preheat until the roaster has reached 350F and let it hang there a short while; maybe two minutes, load the drum and roast. After that I let it cool a couple minutes as you do and load it up again.

One caution - never leave your roaster while it's roasting, especially later in your multi-batch regimen. That sucker is HOT! The whole thing, not just the drum.

I hope this helps.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
gene
Yantacaw
I have used my GC for three years now and at least 800 roasts. First Eddie Dove and then John Despres helped me with tons of questions. Have repaired a burned out wire in heating element once. Still have a spare, new element just in case.
Its exactly like John says. Here's my routine for what its worth:

Preheat to 300, 350 if high grown.....Log all roasts, watch carefully at first crack. 30 seconds after 1C adjust down to 442 range so you can keep roast from approaching 2nd too fast, etc. Check with John here, he is our guru! Once hit cool, keep close eye on temp, when it hits 370ish dump. Quickly reinsert empty chamber hit "C". While its cooling clean fresh roast beans on bath towel before storing for four days in container with one way valve.
By the time cleaning and storing is done GC usually stops from automatic cooldown cycle. Immediately heat back up to 300-350 and go again. You can make fifty batches w/o any degradation in quality, IMHO in one session!

g

John Despres
Guru, schmuru!

Gene's a rock star! And he has funny poses and shouting routines while roasting. :P

In any event, there are lots of Gene Cafe users here to help.
Edited by John Despres on 10/18/2011 1:42 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

yantacaw
thanks for your thoughts, john & gene. i love everything about the gene - except for those little rubber bumpers (1st lasted through last week and then the two back ups that came with it fell apart within a matter of days). i'm thinking of cutting out rubber from one of my terrine jars and using that.

you guys are veterans compared with my use of the gene. like you and likely many others on the board, i simply can't juggle the downtime that would be required to wait between roasts. i also enjoy ensuring that i have variety to choose from from one morning to the next. funny, too, because it wasn't that long ago when there was one bag and one bag only on hand.

ginny
Hey Yantacaw:

John, Eddie and Gene are the MASTERS of the GC Roaster.

plus you cannot find a better bunch of coffee freaks then these dudes!!

no surfboards but they are dudes!!

ginny

thanks for joining us! we like folks with sense of humor!Grin

yantacaw
yantacaw wrote:
thanks for your thoughts, john & gene. i love everything about the gene - except for those little rubber bumpers (1st lasted through last week and then the two back ups that came with it fell apart within a matter of days). i'm thinking of cutting out rubber from one of my terrine jars and using that.

quick update: jar rubbers - even though they are meant to tolerate a hot water bath in canning to form a pressure seal - are no substitute for those little black gene rubbers. i learned the hard way last night as they morphed into a gooey, gelatinous puff.

John Despres
Oh, no!!!!

Shoot, I wish I'd seen this in time. Your roaster can get as high as 485F and canning baths get to a 212F sterilizing temp...

Ugh! Is your drum all messed up?
http://www.freshb...Parts.html to buy new bumpers.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

yantacaw
John Despres wrote:
Oh, no!!!!

Shoot, I wish I'd seen this in time. Your roaster can get as high as 485F and canning baths get to a 212F sterilizing temp...

Ugh! Is your drum all messed up?
http://www.freshb...Parts.html to buy new bumpers.

John

live and learn! the drum is fine. i was standing right over it and keep a pair of ov gloves handy so i just needed to pull it out, yank out the piece of rubber. i let the roast chamber cool with the lid open for a good chunk of time and then gave it a clean down inside. truthfully, it wasn't heating long enough to do damage and, fortunately, i had not even put any beans in there yet. lesson learned and a bunch of proper bumpers ordered.

gene
Yantacaw:

Three years ago I was on phone telling Tim Skaling my heating element had burned out.
He sent me a new element no charge. I happened to mention I was also worried about the bumpers. He threw in a bunch of those no charge.
In the meantime, thanks to the good guy in the white hat, managed to repair the burned out element.

After 800 more roasts still have the new element in its original wrapping from Tim and have not needed black bumpers in all that time.

Thanks to homeroasters dot org and all the fabulous people you meet thru this forum I remain on Cloud Nine!

And Ginny hasn't been keeping up! A lot of my friends paddle SUP's down our famous white water rapids since they became popular two-three years ago locally. Check out WhatSUP section at Boatertalk.com.
darned surfers are squeezing our kayak playboats out of the playholes now, dang it! Ha ha Ginny!
gene

Jump to Forum: