You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,632
Newest Member: jeep02tj
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
AHHHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!! So Frustrating!!
smatty1
Well this is about the 4th time this has happened to me in my 3 yrs of using the Gene Cafe. I've come to expect it, but it sucks no less when in happens. I'm roasting some very fine Panama Sieta dry process and just before C1 the temp starts to plummet and does not recover. I aborted roast and cooled it and tried to grind it to see if it was drinkable. It damaged my bur grinder!:(
I love the GC when it works, but HATE the heating fan part of this unit!
I needed to vent before going through the regular routine of getting a replacement fan AGAIN. Anyone share my frustration??

www.shop.com/johnbytell
Dan
Sux! Reroast it instead. Or, its time to build your own roaster. :)

http://www.intactamerica.org
dja
as dan says build yourself a roaster that won't break.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

smatty1
I wish I was handy like that! Anyone wanna commission the job? I'd love to see a great Gene Cafe mod!

www.shop.com/johnbytell
oldgearhead
My reason for not getting a Genie is: I couldn't figure out where to
put the Bean Mass Temp probe..has anyone accomplished that?
Edited by oldgearhead on 09/27/2011 10:20 AM
No oil on my beans...

ginny
smaty:

that does sux! I agree with Dan here, build one!

NEVER grind half done beans in your good grinder always keep the old blade grinder or a hand grinder around (rolling pen/pin?) for just this type if accident. I have had this issue with myself at hitting the wrong button, not the machine going bad.

It seems to me that there is something wrong with your GC; something on the board is simply screwed up and every now and them it pops up OR your power
has somehow "hit" the GC and allowed it to drop temp.

I would ask for a new machine and send them yours back for examination.

My reason for this is I am having the same type of problem with my 3 year old fridge/freezer. This unit will randomly not freeze food or keep the items in the fridge cold. Changing setting has virtually no effect and actually can make the problem worse. The mention of the 3 year old unit is I purchased an entire kitchen of stuff and did not install right away so by the time I actually used this stuff they warranty was history.

I sent the CEO of the company a three page letter with temp reports along with photos of water dripping from ice-maker yadda, yadda...

update, got a call two weeks ago from the only local repair service who has been here, ordered a part and my bet is it will take 3 months to get here.

This unit has a flaw, regardless of how often it appears it is there and they need to fix it, period.

Your GC has some flaw and regardless of what they want you to believe make them give you another machine.

out of words, I thought this forum did not edit word count!! must look into that.

ginnyGrin

smatty1
Ginny,
I was under the impression that this was a problem that many people have with the GC. I know there are people out there that have been running it for years without incident, but I gathered this was more common than not. I kinda feel like the machine might just be a bad one too. Tim Skaling is sending me a new heater free of charge like he always does. That also says to me that this is a known problem. Who would I try to get a new one from? Tim or Genesis? I dont speak Korean :)

www.shop.com/johnbytell
John Despres
Is it the fan or the heating element? Your first post says fan, the last post element.

In 5 years, I've replaced the element 4 times, but then, I'm about to cross 500 pounds in mine. I roast a lot in it. The last element I put in is one I repaired and it's lasted the longest. Do you still have your old ones? I can tell you what to do, or ship me one or two, I'll fix 'em and send 'em back.

Nope, no way to add a bean probe. I've built roasters with a bean probe and still love my Gene Cafe.

John
Edited by John Despres on 09/28/2011 5:57 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
smatty1
Not sure John if it's the element or the fan. How can I tell?

www.shop.com/johnbytell
John Despres
I don't know what happens if the fan goes out, so I can't be much help there. Is the fan running at all?

Gotta ask, John, you've done all the cleaning? Spotless chaff collector and all that?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1
Yeah, the machine is clean.. All I know is the temp started to drop and did not recover. How do I know if the fan is running? I dont think I could discern the fan noise over the drum motor noise....

www.shop.com/johnbytell
hazbean
I've had similar problems, as posted here:

http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/vie...ad_id=2136

I haven't posted an update to that because the problem is still unresolved. I haven't worked on it a lot because in the meantime I've acquired a Quest M3 and have been fully occupied figuring out how to drive it. However, I really like using the Gene, it produces an excellent roast easily, and I want to get it working again.

Currently, after installing a new fan (and heater previously), my Gene will function and do a roast, but it will not reach a high temperature, and goes slowly. So it is not very usable in its current state.

Fortunately I have a friend who also has a Gene and is also adept at pulling it apart. So we were able to swap fan and heater to try to figure out the culprit. We also swapped circuit boards, but that wasn't it. In his case, changing the fan solved his problem. In my case, it has improved its behaviour, but not fixed it. His Gene is now starting to exhibit again the "click on and off" phenomenon of the right sensor, similar to what I experienced early on (this I found to be always associated with the plummeting temperature noted by smatty1). His also has a new heater (replaced recently when it failed after three years of operation).

As for deciding between element and fan, on our experience, I'd suggest looking at the fan first -- airflow is critical to the operation of the Gene, and it seems from our experience the fan needs to be fully up to spec. I replaced my heater, but didn't need to, my friend borrowed the old one when his failed, and it behaves identically to his new one. However, for both of us, the fan has made a big difference.

As I still have a problem even after that, I have gone back to investigating the right sensor. The Gene's control logic clearly looks at difference between left and right sensors, so will misbehave if one is out. Anyway, I've just ordered a replacement, which we will try in each of our machines to see what happens.

If that doesn't work, it's off for a service ....

ginny
Smaty:

I would talk to Tim tell him your issues and follow up with letter and make the request. There is NO question your machine has a flaw. My guess is that by now the company has fixed the issue put will clearly not advise all old buyers of some mass recall.

You need to ask and stand your ground. No question he is aware of your problem since he has been gracious enough to send repair/replacement parts.

Bad design should not have to be your ongoing problem. It will only get resolved if your continue to follow up. Do not take NO for an answer. Period.

regards,

ginny

smatty1

ginny wrote:
Smaty:

I would talk to Tim tell him your issues and follow up with letter and make the request. There is NO question your machine has a flaw. My guess is that by now the company has fixed the issue put will clearly not advise all old buyers of some mass recall.

You need to ask and stand your ground. No question he is aware of your problem since he has been gracious enough to send repair/replacement parts.

Bad design should not have to be your ongoing problem. It will only get resolved if your continue to follow up. Do not take NO for an answer. Period.

regards,

ginny

Thanks for the encouragement, Ginny:) I talked to Tim and he is sending me a refurb machine and I am sending mine to him for inspection. Hope to be back in the game again soon!:)
Cast Iron roasting in the meantime and that's fun too!:)

www.shop.com/johnbytell
simagic
I know this original post is almost a year old, but I was reading it just now and 'related" to it..............THIS (BELOW) SOLVED MY PROBLEM. MAYBE IT'S YOUR PROBLEM AS WELL????
Well, here was the issue. it would climb to "past" the first crack ( lets just say 465). Then I would watch it drop.. 462-458-455-452-445-440. So. first Tim sent me a heater, then some sensors. To no avail. Then I sent back the unit to him. He fixed it. It worked great on his work bench, but when it got here it didn't...same problem. Then he sent me a rebuilt unit that 'again" worked fine on his work bench, but again when it got here didn't work. Sooooooo, have a diagnostic mind, I started to think,,think,,think. What I came up with was, that when I sent back the unit and he returned it.((.AND )) when he sent me the rebuilt unit , there was one thing that stood out in my mind. What it was,, .that I never sent my "drum" with the return and his rebuilt unit didn't come with the drum. I used my original drum. Soooooo, the units works fine for him, but when i use them they don't work.
Ah ha. the drum was the only difference between his shop and my home. Sooooo, I looked and looked at the drum..Again, Ah ha. the little rings that hold the swing arm on had loosened. The swing arm was no longer close enough to the screen to move the chaff. They WERE NOT sweeping away the chaff. The chaff was clogging the exhaust port and 'I guess" telling the unit to cool. ...and it was............ Sooooo, I pulled off the swing arm and put on some VERY thin wire and pulled the swing arm as tight as i could without restricting it's movement. A little trial and error to get it tight enough to sweep, but not too tight to stop sweeping. I also pressed (with my finger), from the outside in to try to get as much of the screen as close to the sweeping arm as possible. It's a little tricky with the wires because when you "twist" the little wires (holding the swing arm on), it creates a little "tail" where the twist is. If that tail is too long it will interfere with the action. But now after heater/ sensor replacements, it's working great. Dennis

John Despres
Excellent addition to the thread, Dennis. Thanks for your research and looking into this.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres

ciel-007

simagic wrote:

... The swing arm was no longer close enough to the screen to move the chaff. They WERE NOT sweeping away the chaff. The chaff was clogging the exhaust port...

Dennis, I sometimes find chaff accumulating on the screen of my GC to the point that I am concerned about the chaff possibly clogging the exhaust port. When that happens, my reaction is to slide a thin board under the left side of the roaster; the objective being to change the level of the roaster just enough to allow the sweeping arm to swing a little bit closer to the screen, and thus catch more chaff. Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

simagic
great idea.. But wouldn't it be in the right side of the roaster to make the sweeping arm a bit closer via gravity??????

simagic
great idea.. But wouldn't it be in the right side of the roaster to make the sweeping arm a bit closer via gravity??????

Uh oh, hmmm ........Actually. I just went and looked at my unit and realized that the only time the arm "swings" is when the drum is on a steep angle down towards the L/H side. Soooo, It already has the gravity pushing against the arm onto the screen. So I'm not sure what the cardboard is actually doing..please explain

ciel-007

simagic wrote:

Dennis, thank you for pointing out my poor choice of words. To be clear, what I should have said is this:

"I sometimes find chaff accumulating on the screen of my GC to the point that I am concerned about the chaff possibly clogging the exhaust port. When that happens, my reaction is to slide a thin board under the blower/heater side of the roaster; the objective being to change the level of the roaster just enough to allow the sweeping arm to swing a little bit closer to the screen, and thus catch more chaff."
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Jump to Forum: