You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 1
FrankG

Total Members: 6,628
Newest Member: BoP
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
cold brew coffee
ginny
Hi all:

Several folks have asked me lately about cold brew coffee. I have never done it but am going to since what I make out of regular brew or espresso tastes like, well not great.

Have any here done much with cold brew? Have you tried different "system" for this magic stuff?

Please let us all know what is good out there in coffee land.

Mike MKoffee has a huge brewer in his place but me thinks on my sink it may be overkill.

thanks in advance from all of those who want to know about cold brew.

ginny

Roflmao

JETROASTER
Well, here's one previous discussion, plus a very elaborate set-up on youtube

http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...post_25964

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47A9v...47A9v-pi1Q

-Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 07/14/2011 12:38 PM

allenb
A while back I experimented with the "Toddy" cold brew setup with different coffees. I couldn't tell much of a difference between coffees and all seemed to have a taste similar to a Starbucks bottled "coffee" flavor Frapachino.

To me it produces a fairly one dimensional flavor profile. I've never heard that different brewing setups really change the outcome much but I don't have any first hand experience.

I really like the steampunk pharmacy brewer rig Scott linked from youtube.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Koffee Kosmo
I have sampled it but never made it

Its simple enough and great for mixing with cold milk or on Ice Cream in summer

Can also be used to make a good Americano coffee just add hot water

KK

I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Dan
My neighbor has done this for twenty years. It makes Robusta drinkable. Here's my take on it. If hot water and no pressure makes good coffee, and hot water and pressure makes great coffee (espresso), then cold water and no pressure must make terrible coffee. The Wikipedia article says it all:

Another variation is cold-brewed coffee, sometimes known as "cold press." Cold water is poured over coffee grounds and allowed to steep for eight to twenty-four hours. The coffee is then filtered, usually through a very thick filter, removing all particles. This process produces a very strong concentrate which can be stored in a refrigerated, airtight container for up to eight weeks. The coffee can then be prepared for drinking by adding hot water to the concentrate at a water-to-concentrate ratio of approximately 3:1, but can be adjusted to the drinker's preference. The coffee prepared by this method is very low in acidity with a smooth taste, and is often preferred by those with sensitive stomachs. Others, however, feel this method strips coffee of its bold flavor and character. Thus, this method is not common, and there are few appliances designed for it.

http://www.intactamerica.org
JETROASTER
Cold brew makes great iced coffee.....but I wouldn't waste top shelf coffee on this method.
It only extracts the mid and low range. All the high notes would be lost.
An otherwise undrinkable Vietnamese coffee became a really nice iced coffee...because the high notes were gone.
-Scott

danw2002
My thoughts exactly, just a few weeks ago at the Seattle coffee show(what Seattle and coffee and a show, who da thunk) a vender was showing a cold brew system, and had 4 different coffees to sample, was making a big thing about it, but to me, there was very little difference between the coffees, very small differences at best.....to generic overall for me....kind of a 'what is the point' of all this cool coffee if you are not going to get all the flavor out of it...and leave the bad behind....but that is me....

Dan wrote:
My neighbor has done this for twenty years. It makes Robusta drinkable. Here's my take on it. If hot water and no pressure makes good coffee, and hot water and pressure makes great coffee (espresso), then cold water and no pressure must make terrible coffee. The Wikipedia article says it all:

Another variation is cold-brewed coffee, sometimes known as "cold press." Cold water is poured over coffee grounds and allowed to steep for eight to twenty-four hours. The coffee is then filtered, usually through a very thick filter, removing all particles. This process produces a very strong concentrate which can be stored in a refrigerated, airtight container for up to eight weeks. The coffee can then be prepared for drinking by adding hot water to the concentrate at a water-to-concentrate ratio of approximately 3:1, but can be adjusted to the drinker's preference. The coffee prepared by this method is very low in acidity with a smooth taste, and is often preferred by those with sensitive stomachs. Others, however, feel this method strips coffee of its bold flavor and character. Thus, this method is not common, and there are few appliances designed for it.

Dan Williams...WHAAAT!?!?!? I have NOT had enough coffee.....

Dan
Sounds like cold brew is a good way to get to the lowest common denominator of flavor. Sorta like what's behind lite beer!

http://www.intactamerica.org
Koffee Kosmo
Dont have time to verify but
I was told the cold press is the basis of instant coffee

The coffee liquid is dried to form instant coffee granules

KK
Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 07/16/2011 12:06 AM
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
ginny
I was looking at some reviews and this popped up in one?

>>>There are a couple of issues with this coffee though. As I understand it from reading "What Einstein Told his Cook", written by a chemist, caffein doesn't really go into solution until the water gets up to about 174 degrees. This means that the cold brew Toddy coffee is decaffeinated regardless of the coffee that you use. For some this is a plus, for others a minus. Another point from this book (and a doctor) is that the acid in coffee is very mild compared to the hydrochloric acid (strong!) in your stomach. Thus reducing the acidity by 2/3 rds in Toddy coffee has no real effect. However, brewed coffee has chemicals in it that relax the sphincter at the top of the stomach where it connects to the esophagus allowing the strong stomach acid up into the esophagus --- this is acid indigestion (read up on GERD). Thus for Toddy coffee to reduce acid symptoms, it must be missing the chemicals in coffee that relax this muscle. If you have reduced acid indigestion, it is from this effect rather than the coffee itself being less acid. The effect is the same; the explanation different. As a result, we don't use the more expensive 50 percent caf or decaf with our Toddy. <<<

thoughts all guru' of coffee brewing...

ginny
:P

coffeeroastersclub
Personally I have never cared for cold brew coffee (as in iced coffee). It is just so wrong on so many levels. :(

Just my 2 cents.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
ginny
Len:

That is a very interesting comment. Yes, everything is personal though how is can be so wrong on so many levels seems wrong to me!

hot chocolate or cold hot chocolate (chocolate milk.)

my 3 cents!

ginny

Grin

coffeeroastersclub

ginny wrote:
Len:

That is a very interesting comment. Yes, everything is personal though how is can be so wrong on so many levels seems wrong to me!

hot chocolate or cold hot chocolate (chocolate milk.)

my 3 cents!

ginny

Grin

Just a bit of humor coming through with the "levels" thing. But seriously, I have never found cold coffee appetizing. I love iced tea; however do not like regular hot tea unless its Earl Grey or good Chinese tea. I do not care for coffee ice cream either.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
yamhill
I like cold brew coffee in the summer. It is a different drink than what you get with other brewing methods - as you can expect. You can make it with a bunch of different methods including Toddy, Ronco, french press, filter, and more. I don't use my best beans as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Cold brewing gets different flavor elements - and yes it does have caffeine.

I especially like it when it's hot and you absolutely don't want to add any more heat to your kitchen.

John

Jump to Forum: