Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

koriglman
10/13/2019 6:09 PM
Male Guide Reviews Some of the common supplements used to assist you lose weight are: Hoodia can be an herbal supplement that is very popular in programs designed to help you lose excess fat. It is em

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

allenb
10/08/2019 11:29 AM
Hi RAZ. Please post your 18-25kg build question in either the drum or fluidbed build forums and we'll all try to answer.

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:43 AM
Quien me pude ayudar por favor, con el diseño para construir un tostador que funcione ya sea con Gas, electricidad o flujo de aire caliente, de unos (18 o 25) Kg. estoy en Venezuela

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:41 AM
Saludos a todos

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,179
Newest Member: koriglman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Dan's Direct-Flame Roaster
Dan
The first four samples mailed today. :)
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

http://www.intactamerica.org
Lawnmowerman
Recieved parcel today. I could smell the beans through the box. Three days from postmark. Two samples marked 4 and 10. Waiting for my wife to return from errands before tasting. Will be using manual drip. Basket filter not cone. Both samples displayed a very pungent quality but with markedly different levels of strength,with sample4 being nearly over powering @ I would say a 9. Sample 10 @ a level 3. As to appearance,sample 4 looks darker, and has exuded much oil. Sample 10 exibits hardly any surface oil @ all if any. Will get my wifes opinion. What ever origin this is I can only guess but my wife said it smelled like nothing we have ever had. I tend to agree. I guess in the interest of scientific accuracy that shouldnt be disclosed either. So... Will report back this evening.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

CharcoalRoaster
received my beans as well. I will be cupping tomorrow and report back - sir! cross fingers

Lawnmowerman
I liked sample10 better aroma [email protected] aroma wet @a5 [email protected] flavor @a8 Sample4 aroma [email protected] aroma wet @a5 [email protected] [email protected] The aroma in the cup was much less pronounced with both samples. My wife and I both agreed on this. Since we share almost every cup of coffee we drink, here are her scores: she preferred sample 4, with aroma [email protected] aroma wet @a8 [email protected] and [email protected] Her scores for sample 10 were aroma [email protected] aroma [email protected] [email protected] and [email protected] We also agree that both of these are excellent coffees and we will need to have other coffee on hand for when we dont have time to be subjective, like 1st thing in the morning. That way, we have time to properly evaluate and report all cuppings for these coffees. Thank you for allowing me to be included in this taste test. I believe I am very privileged.

CharcoalRoaster
Dan, I cupped your roast (delicious btw) this morning but can you clarify the scale for me?

What is the scale determining? 10 being the best coffee I've ever had? Thanks

bvwelch
I'm sorry I missed out on the taste test, but will enjoy reading about the results!

Dan
Yes, 10 being the best. It's the same scale Sweet Marias uses.

Btw: Both coffees are the same bean, roasted for the same time, ending just as 2nd begins, and were identical in color when I mailed them. Any difference cuppers are seeing now is a result of the roast method.

bvwelch, I still have coffee I can send you and other cuppers. The more tests the better the results validity. Just PM me your snail mail address.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

jedovaty
Dan, I'll PM you as well, this would be fun :)

coffeeroastersclub
Dan wrote:

Yes, 10 being the best. It's the same scale Sweet Marias uses.

Btw: Both coffees are the same bean, roasted for the same time, ending just as 2nd begins, and were identical in color when I mailed them. Any difference cuppers are seeing now is a result of the roast method.

bvwelch, I still have coffee I can send you and other cuppers. The more tests the better the results validity. Just PM me your snail mail address.

Hello Dan. I missed your taste test. On a different but related matter, will you have an opportunity to post a video of your roaster in operation? I think that would be a real kick to see. cool

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
Dan
Len, there's still time to participate, just PM me your snail mail address.

I think a video would be great, too. Let's wait for a warm day!

coffeeroastersclub
Dan wrote:

Len, there's still time to participate, just PM me your snail mail address.

I think a video would be great, too. Let's wait for a warm day!

Just sent you my address. Thanks Dan!

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Dan
Len, I got your and Jedovaty's addresses and I managed to get them in the mail today.

Sorry folks, that's all the samples I have, so this cupping is closed. I'm excited to hear what the results are!

coffeeroastersclub
Dan wrote:

Len, I got your and Jedovaty's addresses and I managed to get them in the mail today.

Sorry folks, that's all the samples I have, so this cupping is closed. I'm excited to hear what the results are!

Thanks Dan, I am very interested in seeing the differences in the roasts!

Len pouring

allenb
Mine arrived in today's mail. Great smelling mailbox!

I'll float some grounds tomorrow and make notes. pouring

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
Dan's Instructions:

4. Report on this thread these five variables: brewing method, dry aroma (sniff the bag), wet aroma (sniff the cup), body, flavor. Use a 1-10 scale (no decimals, please, just whole numbers)
5. You can add more comments about the flavor if you like, but please, don’t post your guess which one is flame-roasted, I don't want others to become biased. I'd hate to throw out this test and start over.

Brewing Method = Manual cone, Melitta #4. Water temp 198 F.

Sample #7
-Dry aroma 8
-Wet aroma 7
-Body 9
-Flavor 8
Bean appearance was dark brown with dry surface, somewhere in between Vienna and French roast. Grinding aroma very rich and intense.

Sample #5
-Dry aroma 6
-Wet aroma 6
-Body 7
-Flavor 6
Bean appearance appeared slightly darker most likely due to slight oil sheen on surface. This coffee rated lower due to thinner body/mouthfeel, more single dimensional flavor spectrum and a hint of a carbony note.

Thanks for allowing me to participate! Much fun.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Lawnmowerman
No scores for day 4. These are our scores for day 5,yesterday. My scores for sample 4: aroma dry 4. Aroma wet 3. Body 5. Flavor 7. Sample 10: aroma dry 3. Aroma wet 5. Body 6. Flavor 5. My wifes scores for sample4: aroma dry 3. Aroma wet 6. Body 7. Flavor9. Her scores for sample 10: aroma dry 3. Aroma wet 4. Body 5. Flavor 7. It seems on day 5 I was starting to favor sample 4 for flavor. Both coffees seem to be rounding out rather nicely.

jedovaty
Hi, I received samples 31 and 32 on monday! Boy - that was a unique smell. Coffee + grilled aged steak? o.O Errr.. something. Wood fire or I don't know. Burning wood early morning, I wanted bacon and steak and eggs, made me hungry. I usually don't eat much breakfast.

Not sure how to score 1-10 since there's only a slight difference in smell that I can't elaborate, and they taste nearly identical to me; any differences could be attributed to the brew method (hario v60 01), so I will try again tomorrow with a slightly more consistent method (I'll just do coarse grounds and spoon/slurp).

CharcoalRoaster
Thanks for the coffee to be cupped. I found it super interesting to see how the two compared. I think aromatic presence of direct-fired is the major distinguisher between the two.

BREWING METHOD - Aeropress

Appearance - 9 (oils present on the surface, darker)
Aroma (dry) - 6 (distinct smoky/fire aroma)
Aroma (wet) - 5 (roasty but no nuanced aromatics)
Taste - 6 (dry finish, smoked, burnt sugar)
Body - 6 (good body but not syrupy,)

Appearance - 9 (little to no oil)
Aroma (dry) - 7 (roasty but no discernable aromatics)
Aroma (wet) - 7 (cacao, tobacco, prune)
Taste - 7
Body - 7 (less body but more balanced)

CharcoalRoaster
UPDATE::

The scores I just posted were from last week when I cupped both roasts the day after receiving them. I brewed both this morning and the pungency has mellowed out.

FWIW

Lawnmowerman
Day 6. Feb 10. My scores: sample4: aroma [email protected] Aroma [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Sample10: aroma dry2. Aroma wet 4. Body 6 favor6. My wifes scores:sample4: aroma [email protected] aroma [email protected] [email protected], [email protected] Sample4:aroma dry3 aroma wet3 body5 flavor7. Sample10: aroma dry3 aroma wet5 body7flavor8. For a little more diversity here are our neighbors scores: sample 4: aroma dry4 aroma wet4 body 5 flavor 5. Sample 10: aroma dry6 aroma wet8 body8 flavor8. So day 5 I tended to favor sample 4 for flavor. Day 6 all 3 of us were favoring sample 10for flavor. Every time i have favored sample 10 for body, finding sample 4 to be lacking in comparison. The dry aroma has decreased considerably for both samples.

Jump to Forum: