Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cast Iron Roaster Project
6eight
Well I contemplated fluid bed and settle on cast iron. I know they're not even in the same playing field, but that is how my brain works. Cast Iron is a premium to a chef. Better flavor, better heat conduction, and steeped in tradition.

I have a turbo roaster lid that I acquired (free) a few months ago that I will use as the heat source. Currently the fan doesn't work, but after looking at Farmroasts "dream roast" it looks like the top could use some alterations and a new high speed fan motor.

So here is what I am starting with. I am a chef so everything is kitchen oriented and easy for me to access.

1. Turbo Chef "Galloping Gourmet" top
2. Cast iron dutch oven (handle ground off)
3. Stainless steel stock pot for housing

The dutch oven fits perfectly into the stock pot. I will drill a hole through the bottom to install the stirring paddle. My plan is to install an electric heating element just below the cast iron dutch oven for "booster" heat. Under that I will install an aluminum plate and the motor will be housed below that. Hopefully all will be nicely contained within the stock pot. I am hoping to cut a door in the stainless for access to the motor and heating element. A dumping mechanism and cooling tray will wrap it up.

Wish me luck...this is going to be fun!
6eight attached the following image:
img00137-20110208-1540.jpg

Edited by 6eight on 02/08/2011 9:14 AM
“I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W.C. Fields

6eight
Here is a shot of the cast iron dutch oven with the handle ground off.
img00138-20110208-1541.jpg

6eight
A nice little package!
img00139-20110208-1541.jpg

seedlings
ThumbsUp

Sounds like Ed's (farmroast) roaster build might be helpful for you if you haven't seen it yet:
http://forum.home...ead_id=561

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

6eight
That was my inspiration. It has popped up on several other sites and the control he has is what guided me to this design.....just with a cast iron roasting chamber.

farmroast
The cast iron will hold heat and cause more conduction. This will mostly become an issue when trying to slow the roast to stretch it during and post 1st crack.
Edited by farmroast on 02/08/2011 2:23 PM
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

6eight
Great point. I am wondering if some of the conduction can be controled with airflow and venting. RPM control on the stirring mechanism may reduce conduction as well.

There are probably going to be a ton of questions coming your way...as long as you don't mind. Your roaster build inspired me to start homeroasting.

6eight
So this project has been in the back of my mind since I posted it over a year ago. I got a little scared reading about all the controls people had over their roasts and the different profiles. Recently I started thinking about coffee and the cast iron project. I came to the conclusion that it is all about the cup. Some of the best coffee I ever had was roasted in a big cast iron skillet over a fire. There were no PID's or laptops....just beans over a flame. Now I am not trying discount controls and profiles, I just needed to put them out of my mind for this project. My goal was to get a great coffee, roasted in cast iron, with some "control" over the roast.

The Turbo Oven top in the first pictures posted is now part of a scrap heap. I found a new top at a thrift store for $5. There were several parts I acquired since the project so I have no idea how to put a cost to any of this.

So here is what I have so far!

The TO top has been replaced by a stainless steel utensil holder. The original thermostat was moved (knob on front) and the timer switch (on/off) was replaced by a two way toggle. I used tin snips to cut out vents for the hot air and attached the SS holder to the TO using 4 small machine screws.
img-20120831-000611.jpg

6eight
The cast iron roasting chamber is a 10 1/4" dutch oven. I drilled a hole in the center for the agitator shaft that will be powered by a motor I picked up. The cast iron pot is about 4" deep and sits perfectly inside the stainless steel outter pot.
6eight attached the following images:
cast_iron_chamber.jpg cast_iron_2.jpg

6eight
I thought I would need more heat to get the cast iron pot up to temp so I drilled two holes in the side of the SS pot. Then I installed a tubular heating element I had from a bread machine. It sits about 1/2" from the bottom of the cast iron chamber. I had a dimmer sitting on the desk so I wired it to the booster element. My next step will be to install an insulated false bottom about 2-3 inches below the booster to focus the heat more on the cast iron. I also want to install a grill thermometer into this chamber to track airtemp. My original thoughts were to use this as a warm up element, but I think it might be more versatile once I start roasting...maybe?
dimmer_switch.jpg booster_heat.jpg inner_element.jpg

6eight
next on the list is fabricate the shaft that will run from the motor to the inside of the roasting chamber, make the stirring arms, install an electrical box over the booster element connections, and install the false bottom and grill thermometer. A quick trip the Depot in the morning should get me going again.

I ran a test this afternoon with the lid and cast iron pot installed. I was able to hit 600F without any meltdowns. It is my guess the temperatures will not get that high once beans are involved. During the test I had the booster and top at full blast. It took about 10 minutes to get to 600F on the oven thermometer. For the most part I thought it was a successful day!

John Despres
Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing about the first cup of coffee.

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
6eight
So today was a big day. I attached the motor and main shaft. If i had to guess I went through about 5 drill bits drilling the holes for the motor. I found a shaft coupler at lowes and installed the stainless steel rod that will hold the stirring arms. It will need to be cut down, but I started the motor up and everything worked like a charm. The next step is to put legs on the bottom of the pot. I am thinking through the dumping mechanism and main control panel. I installed a small electrical box over the wires for the booster element as well. All in all it was a good day.
img-20120902-000771_1.jpg img-20120902-000821_1.jpg r2-3.jpg

6eight
any suggestions on stirring arms and attaching them would be greatly appreciated. I have seen several posts with springs used so I was going to investigate that. The shaft will be cut down and then I can grind a flat or shape it however needed to mount the arms.

Koffee Kosmo
6eight wrote:

any suggestions on stirring arms and attaching them would be greatly appreciated. I have seen several posts with springs used so I was going to investigate that. The shaft will be cut down and then I can grind a flat or shape it however needed to mount the arms.

This area is critical
And its all trial and error that you need to sort out
What works on one design may duffer on the next

Ideally you need good agitation not just a bean mass to be pushed around in circles
Have a look at my test videos on the KKTO agitation
I used some red coloured beans to see the action

http://www.youtub...ature=plcp

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ewkisDF5o&list=UUFGudejxMmm_7HTgp7LFHIA&index=15&feature=plcp[/video]

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Koffee Kosmo
This is what is under those beans

KK
Koffee Kosmo attached the following images:
roaster_double_agitator_blades_small.jpg img_2797.jpg fixed_agitator.jpg

Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

Lawnmowerman
Last weel i replaced the stirrinp rod on my bread machine. I used 1/2 inch aluminum flat bar attached to a 3/8 inch collar. I removed the set screw and replaced it with one with a head so the stirring rod was held by the set screw too. Had to drill out the collar a little to make it fit the shaft.
Lawnmowerman attached the following image:
0904121321a.jpg

Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Lawnmowerman
Not very refined, but its very secure
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

6eight
Those look great kk. I rounded up a piece of flat stock today so it is time to experiment. My thoughts were to use a steel set screw and weld a paddle on each side. The guys in the shop at work are itching to break out the welder.

Koffee Kosmo
Be aware that every bean has the potential to be a wedge at any time
It's important that they flow over
Don't give them a chance to do so as t will lock up the paddle and motor

KK

Jump to Forum: