Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My actual self-made 1.5 kg copper drum roaster
Rubens
This is my self-made copper 1.5kg drum roaster.

I put it on my kitchen stove (the kitchen of my coffee shop), with a self made "burner", well it is technically not a burner but a flame breaker... I don't know if it's its correct name, I literally translate the word from Italian.

Everything costs me around 400 euro.

What do you think about it?

I believe it is very reliable since it has just 1 thing that can broke, that is the motor that rotate the drum. I actually broke it afer 2 years of intense activity and it costs me 30 euro to replace it.

www.rubensgardelli.com
Dan
Ruben, Please post a picture!

In English, I think you mean "heat deflector."

http://www.intactamerica.org
Rubens
Sorry, the pic was too big. I'll try another time.

Can you see it now?

What are your first thoughts about it?

The drum is made of copper, beleive it! It's not reddish because the direct flame contact turn it into grayish. Well, it is not really directly in contact, when the flame is 100% there are still 10 centimeters between the flame and the drum.
I don't like perforated drums because the residual chemical substances from gas burning can go into the coffee. The beans in this drum are 100% protected since is a 99% "closed" drum...there are only 3 little holes on the left side to let the smoke go outside. To maintain a bright coffee profile I usually stop the motor from rotating 3 times during roasting, then open the drum from the left side, blow some "fresh" air from my longs :) , then start the roasting process again.
Rubens attached the following image:
roaster_3.jpg

Edited by Rubens on 01/22/2011 9:23 AM

www.rubensgardelli.com
Rubens
This is the opening, where I put green beans, where I blow the air during roasts, and where the roasted coffee comes out
roasteropen.jpg

Edited by Rubens on 01/22/2011 9:34 AM

www.rubensgardelli.com
Rubens
And this is the heat deflector
flame.jpg

www.rubensgardelli.com
seedlings
Very nice! (I hope this translates to Italian.) I would like to know how you deal with smoke, and also how do you cool the beans?

Fantastic project!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Rubens

seedlings wrote:
I would like to know how you deal with smoke...CHAD

Here is how I deal with smoke
aspiratore.jpg

www.rubensgardelli.com
Rubens

seedlings wrote:how do you cool the beans?CHAD

I dump the roasted coffee into that big stainless steel colander, then I leave it there for a couple of minutes, then I pass all the coffee from the colander into the rounded home-made perforated tool that you see in the pic for a more efficient cool action and chaff removal, using a "air blower" (I don't remember the English word for it!)
You can really understand how much I can define myself an "artisan" roaster! Grin
Well I'm following with great interest the "boom's profile roaster project" posted in this forum...that would be my next roaster improvement!
aaa.jpg

Edited by Rubens on 01/22/2011 10:08 AM

www.rubensgardelli.com
Dan
Ruben, Nice pictures. That is a unique, practical, and inexpensive roaster. At 1.5kg (3 pounds) it is also large by hobbyist standards, and I can see how it would be a good size for a coffee shop or restaurant.

I thought you were using your stove's burner, but that looks like an auxiliary or alternate burner, so 'heat deflector' is the wrong term. Sometimes those are also called 'pipe burners.' I think the distance between flame and solid drum is just right. If you are roasting in the 15-25 minute range then your heat is OK, too.

When you are stopping the roast to blow air in, you could be stalling the roast. This could give your coffee a 'flat' or baked tastes and aroma. I understand you wanting to purge smoke from the beans. Why not drill some holes at both end of your drum near the center? Since the beans are tumbling around the outside, none will fall out of those holes, and you'll be venting air constantly and won't have to stop your roast.

Your beans keep roasting until cooled, so I would find a better way to cool your beans more quickly. For instance, you could plact your colander over a fan (blowing up or down) and stir constantly until cool.

I have a vent hood over my 1kg sample roaster that vents to the outside. It doesn't have a grease filter like yours, but then I'm not cooking under it. If you cannot remove all the smoke with your vent hood you might want to look into a larger blower, or increasing the speed on your exisiting blower. Many use belt drive. What I've done is increase the pulley size on the motor to increase blower speed. You will need a longer belt, too.

Dan

http://www.intactamerica.org
samchn07
Well done that's a great work, i like it.
sam chn

Jump to Forum: