Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bad Cofee Growing Enviroment?
jm82792
Hi I'm new to the forums and have a few questions regarding coffee trees.
I've got around 100 coffee trees that have never been pruned or taken care of that are growing in a gulch. They are under a good amount of shade given from a canapoy of tall trees, and the coffee trees are around 15 feet tall on average. The elevation is around 600 feet. My (parents :) ) property is located on the Hamakua Coast, Paauilo to be specific. So far I've removed all the non coffee tree saplings and have left the avacado trees that provide the shade.
The conditions are rather hot, wet and humid. The soil appears to be really rich and black. It appears that the trees are mostly Arabica(tall and spindly) and maybe 4 or so of the Robusta.
Can I get good coffee from the trees because of my elevation and other conditions?
Edited by jm82792 on 01/04/2011 5:37 PM

jerstew
Welcome to the forum. You've come to right place, if coffee roasting is your thing. This forum has a wealth of information on roasting, brewing, fabrication, electrical, et cetera... but coffee farming, not so much, I could be wrong though, we may have some friendly coffee farmers here among us.

However, there should be quite a bit of help right in your backyard, relatively speaking.
Just to get you started, contact one of these organizations. They are in the business of helping and promoting Hawaiian Coffee growers:
Hawaii Coffee Association http://www.hawaii.../index.php
Kona Coffee Farmers Association http://www.konaco...rmers.org/

And hey, why not read up on coffee seed processing and coffee roasting (if you haven't already). Pick a basket or two of the fruit, when its ripe, and find a way of making a hot beverage out of it. You might find you have some of the best coffee out there. If not, freshly roasted, poor quality coffee is still better than supermarket sludge.
100 trees should keep your friends and family caffeinated all year round!

Jeremy

JETROASTER
Hi JM,
Very intrigued! Any more history on how these trees came to be? I'm curious about the multiple types in one location.
I concur with Jeremy, I'd make contact with the local economic development folks. Good luck with your endeavers. -Scott

jm82792
From what I can tell since the land was lived on until the 70's then they tore the house down and the gulch has been dumped into for around 100 years the trees were unintentionally planted there.

I do know some people that own a coffee farm however I don't know them very well and thought maybe I could get some ideas from here.

My experience regarding the processing of coffee is very limited.
It has consisted of going to a few coffee trees in the neighborhood,
picking them then, removing the fruit, drying them, removing the shells(whatever it is called), then drying them some more, then finally pan roasting them.

Not the text book way of doing it.

However it worked but my roast came out rather dark, not at all burnt just dark....

I like the idea of having a micro-controller controlled roaster since I've messed around with the Arduino platform for fun in the past.

Well when I get the trees in shape and get some fruit out of them :)
Edited by jm82792 on 01/06/2011 7:34 PM

Dan
You are in the middle of the harvest, so get busy! We have the Uker's book "All About Coffee" online. It has a lot of information on coffee growing and harvesting.
http://forum.home...p?cat_id=3

Here's some factoids I found:

An arabica coffee tree can produce up to 12 pounds of coffee a year, depending on soil and climate.

Most coffee trees are pruned to 8 feet high to make harvesting easier.

It takes 2,000 coffee cherries to make a pound of roasted coffee.

http://www.intactamerica.org
Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

jm82792
No no harvest right now, there isn't much fruit on the trees correctly.
However where I live currently, 6 miles away from the property, the neighborhood trees are fruiting. This is probably because we have somewhat different micro-climate here.

I've read up on pruning and want to prune them soon,
however there is a lot of property work to do that my Dad won't let me put off to prune coffee.

The biggest issue I see is getting the fruit off of the coffee cherry), if I go dry processing or the other two methods.
As it is right now it takes far too long to process enough coffee for a cup :)

jm82792
I take that back :)
In the past two weeks the trees are now fruiting.
Maybe it's a season with lag?

Currently I'm experimenting on how to process coffee quicker,
I really want to find a method that works so I can process a few pounds of coffee within a decent amount of time.
Then there is the whole thing about dry verses wet.
Are dry processed beans inferior to wet, or is it okay compared to wet?
Edited by jm82792 on 01/13/2011 7:21 PM

seedlings
Here's a couple of helpful videos I came across:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6230QagjVHc[/video]
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD-93U01rIA[/video]

You also might try a cherry pitter.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/14/2011 2:15 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

jm82792
I've been doing roughly(minus fermentation, I've been pan roasting, and I've been using a dehydrator) what they have been doing however fermenting the fruit off of the beans would be a very helpful thing to integrate into my workflow. I'm not sure about a cherry pitter, it could work very well if it can remove the parchment.
The parchment in the end is the annoying part.
Because it is brittle when dry maybe some sort of rolling device could remove(crush it off) a good amount of it.

jm82792
Just brewed some 50% arabica and 50% robusta mix.
What an interesting flavor, very sharp and I'm very buzzed from it.
Hit the second crack and then quickly cooled it off,
brewed it for around 5 minutes in a coffee press.
I'll try to get pictures of the trees and such soon,
I've been busy with stuff lately :(

jm82792
Eeek!
They are ALL (mostly, I'll have to check each one) Robusta!
Ugh so strong, so punchy and so caffeinated.
I thought the young tress where Arabica..
Oh well I'll cut some down, leave some and plant a ton of Arabica Typica.

Jump to Forum: