Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

pokeronlinejakarta
10/13/2019 7:27 PM
Jakarta Poker adalah situs agen poker online terpercaya dna terbaik yang dapat diakses dengan aman dan nyaman

koriglman
10/13/2019 6:09 PM
Male Guide Reviews Some of the common supplements used to assist you lose weight are: Hoodia can be an herbal supplement that is very popular in programs designed to help you lose excess fat. It is em

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

allenb
10/08/2019 11:29 AM
Hi RAZ. Please post your 18-25kg build question in either the drum or fluidbed build forums and we'll all try to answer.

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:43 AM
Quien me pude ayudar por favor, con el diseño para construir un tostador que funcione ya sea con Gas, electricidad o flujo de aire caliente, de unos (18 o 25) Kg. estoy en Venezuela

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,180
Newest Member: pokeronlinejakarta
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Holiday Bean Swap 2010!!
stoneguard
CHAD, thanks for the great and detailed reviews! For Roast #1, it is actually an Organic Ethiopian Sidamo. I would agree it is Full City to FC+ in roast. Thank you for the great compliments! I will tell you what #2 is when I write up your second coffee.

I cannot promise my reviews to be quite so well done, but I am still a young coffee evaluator Grin. My first evaluation is of the Beans in the Brown bag with a window:

The beans have a very strong yet alluring aroma that reaches out and says "here I am!" This aroma carries all the way through the grind and into the cup. I would say the beans are approximately a City+ roast. Ground, the beans continued to have a pungent and strong presence with wonderful earthy accents.

I brewed in a French Press (my only brew method at the moment). The aroma his me with a spicy caramel, with hints of chocolate bean.

The taste has a slight citrus, tending toward lemons (but not actually lemony), with wonderful floral accents (my wife says hibiscus) and mellow overtones with just a hint of saltiness.

Very good cup of coffee! If I had to guess (erm, I suppose I DO have to guess), I would say that it is a Central American bean, but I am very limited in my bean knowledge still.
Edited by stoneguard on 12/27/2010 1:26 AM

seedlings
Excellent evalutation, Phil! You were right on the Central American, it's El Salvador Finca La Florida, and, yes I tried to stop at City+, about 425F.

Now, my first guess was way off! Sidamo?!? I'm drinking it right now filter brewed, it's tasty! If only the bean size had more variations or I tasted berry instead of apple/pear... I'm still learning.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/27/2010 2:05 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

stoneguard
For those that don't know, Chad couldn't wait, so I had to tell him roast #2 was a Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea.

My second evaluation is of the beans in the silver bag. My wife was a great catalyst yesterday, but I did not have her help this morning:

First off, the beans - whole and ground - remind me of an Ethiopian. The taste does not so much, but I am sticking with Ethiopian because I don't have a better guess :up-late:. I would say the roast verges on Full City+, leaning toward Full City.

The bean aroma has a very slight oily smell with a hint of fish oils. Not an overwhelming, but a welcoming smell when I open the bag. The grind has a more buttery smell (reminds me of a Sumatra bean I have).

I brewed in the French Press again (I want to get a couple other brewers). The aroma of the coffee had a slight toffee smell to me and was very mellow, like a gentle morning mist rolling over the senses.

The taste proved to be a challenge. There seems to be high acidity, giving me a taste of tea leaves. There is also a hint of grapefruit and a sharp tang suggesting a bit of alkaline. Even so, it is a pleasant cup.

Thanks for the great coffees! I am going to enjoy finishing them both up over the next week :).

Thanks for handling coordinating all this, John. It has been a great experience!

seedlings
Yes, yes, I was waaaay off in both guesses: 0-2.

Phil, the silver bag is another 'trick' coffee: Brazil Moreninha Formosa "Raisin" roasted to Full City++, dumped after first 2C snaps, but before 2C started rolling.

This was my last batch, I was saving it if ever we had a bean exchange... and we did!

Thanks, Phil and John, and everyone participating!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

jlyon10
farmroast wrote:
Enjoying a cuppa Nic :smileycoffee: (not to be confused with St. Nic) from Jim jlyon10, very nicely roasted with nice sweetness. Very clean ThumbsUp roast from I believe a BBQ drum setup. Much appreciated!
best wishes this holiday season,
Ed
aka farmroast

Actually I have a Fresh Roast plus 8 and sr300 that I use to roast with. I couldn't get the BBQ to roast consistenly and gave up on it. Both of your coffee were excellent and my wife liked them both, a hard thing to accomplish. Where did you get the El Salvador, my favorite
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

http://www.jimscoffeebeans.com
6eight
The beans really look good, a little more oil on the beans then I roast too, I am sitting here sipping on a cup of the IMV as I type this, and I have to say it taste like a well rested cup of Ethiopian, not a Kenyan.

Well the JBM is Blue Mt. I ordered some for my wife as our honeymoon (11 years ago) was at the foot of the mountain. We enjoyed great coffee the whole time.

The one you are trying to guess is Indian Mysore Nuggets. I do tend to roast on the heavier side as I drink alot of espresso and coffee brewed in the Moka pot.

The coffee you send was great and it was a pleasant contrast to what I have been drinking. The roast was light and beautiful. I was going to guess Ethiopian on yours as well, but I think I might be pretty far off. It only lasted a couple days...it was that good!

Please let me know how the others drink!
“I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W.C. Fields

randytsuch
I want to thank Al (Ringo) for two wonderfull coffees.
One was a Ethiopian Maduro, and the and was a Columbian "Special microlot" from SW.

I guess I would call them both city roasts, stopped a few minutes after 1st (Al sent me his roast profiles notes). They were both at the level of roast that I usually aim for these days.

I made espressos with both types of beans, and they both pulled very nice shots. The shots were not sour or bitter at all, they were very smooth, yet still had a nice flavor to them. Sometimes when I miss my mark on a bean, I will get some off flavors in a shot, but neither of these beans had any trace of that.

I am just getting over my 2nd cold in a few weeks, and I stop drinking coffee when I catch a cold (caffeine wimp), so I had to freeze Al's beans until I start drinking coffee again.

I am looking forward to trying his beans in a drip, and in an aeropress cup, and see how they taste there.

BTW, this was the first time I particiapted in the holiday swap, I just started hanging out here last year around this time, and missed the swap. It is a lot of fun, and is really nice to exchange information with other roasters. Looking forward to next year.

Randy

dja
Keith; you were a long way off like half way around the wrold, the one that I was able to roast before my roaster cratered, was Kona from this years crop off of the Makapveo Farms. I was lucky enough to have a friend send me some of it and I have been very stingy with doling it out even to my self.

I have a younger brother that loves the stuff (have to keep it hidden from him)

Glad you enjoyed it, I enjoyed all three of the coffees that you sent. the Indian Mysore was a first for me. I had never had it before, I will have to aquire some green and see what I can make with it.

Thanks.

I also want to thank everyone else that was in the Swap this was a first for my and I had a lot of fun just wish my roaster hadn't of went belly up in the middle of it. But I am working on getting it back in the game. Need to finish a couple other project first. plus order up some highly expensive machinable ceramic for and insulator.

Grin
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

ginny
John, not to worry, I will relish your gift when it arrives.

Have a wonderful new years day!

love too you and family,

ginny

big hint: the un marked coffee is one Tom sells out of each year and I had been waiting for it to arrive and it did not too long ago.

6eight
Kona...mmmm! It was great. The lighter roast really threw my for a loop. A really good loop!

“I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W.C. Fields

John Despres
ginny wrote:
John, not to worry, I will relish your gift when it arrives.

Have a wonderful new years day!

love too you and family,

ginny

big hint: the un marked coffee is one Tom sells out of each year and I had been waiting for it to arrive and it did not too long ago.

Hmmm. I'm enjoying it a lot right now! It's absolutely delicious!

Smallish beans... light roasted; city or city plus,

Great ground fragrance - mild chocolate, citrus, some dark fruit, maybe...

In the cup, sweet, very bright, big citrus, light milk chocolate... spicy aftertaste.

Hmmm.... Island maybe?... Not Africa...

Going out on a limb here: Java or PNG... Final answer

The Burundi is outstanding. Very full, rich and expertly roasted! Nice dark fruits, thick body, dense chocolate, Very well balanced with just touch of acidity at the fore.

I'm pulling shots with the remainder of the Burundi this afternoon right before the family and I head out to see Harry Potter 7/1.

Thank you, Ginny! I've gotten my Gene Cafe back together and will roast yours shortly and have it in the mail by noon!

Happy new year.

John
Edited by John Despres on 12/31/2010 2:45 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
John Despres
Dang! Missed the post office Holiday shut down time of noon by a few minutes. Coffee will go out Monday. I'll send it the fast route so it's not too long in the tooth when it arrives.

Happy new year!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
dja
6eight wrote:
Kona...mmmm! It was great. The lighter roast really threw my for a loop. A really good loop!

Keith;

Glad you liked it.

The swap was fun, will have to do it again, least ways I didn't have to drink my own coffee for Xmas.

I am going to have to aquire a stash of the IMN, thats the one that threw my I thought the N was a V, what I get for being a redneck.

Happy New Year too you and yours!!!

DAvid
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

ginny
John:

Not to worry, fast makes no difference in the boonies so send regular mail.

You should know by know I always rest my coffee longer the the
"other" folks!!

love to yo,

ginnyShock

Jump to Forum: