Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,245
Newest Member: infinitystone
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Post Roast Rest
allenb
I think most of us agree that resting the coffee for somewhere between 1 and 5 days (for me at least 2) after a roast improves the cup.

I used to think the only reason for the improved flavor was due to the reduction in Co2 bloom allowing a more thorough extraction but I don't believe that anymore. Even after 3 days I've still got major Co2 foaming going on but achieve much more body and character in the cup.

Does anyone know from a chemical standpoint what is happening to the coffee during the rest besides the supposed reduction in Co2?

I know this isn't about roasting chemistry but since it's before brewing/preparing I thought it should go here.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Koffee Kosmo
The storage conditions can also influence this
One way valve containers will take longer than an open to the elements type

Also in my experience a longer time is needed for lighter roasts

I think in layman's terms
Everything that was jumbled up during roasting needs time to be incorporated in the new environment B)

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
workhousecoffee
organic acids are relativly volatile compounds. Time is not their friend. Its the same for aged coffee/decaf time/process's beats down on the quality of your compounds.

Sugar compounds fractured in roasting process seem to settle and even break down fractionaly more over time. So your acids are backing off and your sugars are becoming more available for palet perception. etc etc........eurgh Im even boring myself now enough
make ur coffee w love & u cant go wrong

endlesscycles
I don't believe anyone knows what's going on. If they did, they wouldn't mumble.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
allenb wrote:

I know this isn't about roasting chemistry but since it's before brewing/preparing I thought it should go here.

Allen

This seems like the right spot. Certainly seems like a mysterious topic.

How does pre-grinding play into it? I pre-ground some of the Harrar, the day of roasting,and it improved on days 2 and 3.
I don't trust my tastebuds anymore, but that's how it seemed to me.
-Scott

seedlings
For an analogy... I know a 'sound man' who mixes live music by looking at the numbers on the faders in dB. He may technically have every one at the same dB, but the sound is terrible. Then, there's another guy who doesn't understand dB, not even totally sure what is going on, has some channels pegging the meters, but he turns up what sounds good until the mix is great.

Maybe degassing is like this. :trink25:

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/18/2010 4:17 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
The analogy works, but even the instinctual mixer/roaster would benefit through understanding 'why'.
If roast + rest = flavor, then understanding 'rest' would likely influence how I roast.
I'm looking forward to some killer audio on your next roast-post. -Scott

John Despres
I don't know what happens during rest. It's magic, that's what.

Here's what I do know - coffee improves in flavor as it rests for a certain amount of time and then the flavor begins to degrade.

How much time is necessary? None. Or maybe 4 days, or maybe 9 days.

Some folk have absolutes and say their coffee must rest 7 days before they drink it; other say 4 days.

Yet others, like myself, say it depends on the coffee. I rest my Yemens for at least a week and try for 10 days for a superb cup. My Ethiopias rest for about 4-5 days and they land where I like 'em. South or Central Americas need different rest periods - A Bourbon may get a week in the cupboard while a Terrazu gets less.

I find dry processed coffees do better with longer rest periods and wet processed arrive at a nice flavor with less rest.

But those are my cups and I drink 'em. Another roaster may use the exact opposite for their cups.

Many giant production houses tend toward 6-8 month rest periods. Maybe they have a point, but I don't like it in my cup.

As to the science, I'm vaguely aware of studies somewhere. Science is just recently paying attention to coffee and spending more time on it and studying more about the most excellent bean on the planet. For more visit here http://coffeechem... You can join as a member (it's free) and gain access to a lot of information.

My take on resting is it's magic and I like magic in my cup.

John
Edited by John Despres on 09/19/2010 7:35 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Jump to Forum: