You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,632
Newest Member: jeep02tj
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe Fan - 3 1/2 yrs old
Stinsonddog
In case anyone wants to see the build up. I didn't take a pic of the new one but I can see why this one died. The new one spun quite easily and this one is all gummy. I have replaced the heating element and the fan now, and all else is working on my unit bought in Dec 06. I roast about 2 -3 times a week. By the way this was taken with my Blackberry Torch. If you are a Blackberry user find my tips at www.stinsonddog.com.

i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Stinsonddog/Stinsonddog%20Links/genecafefan.jpg
Edited by Stinsonddog on 08/24/2010 12:24 AM

John Despres
Hey, I'm a Gene Cafe fan as well!

I started stripping mine down for a thorough cleaning every 6 months or so and found the same dirty fan. I've replaced several heaters but never the fan for keeping it clean, I guess. Do you typically vacuum the intake at the bottom of your roaster?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Stinsonddog
No I have not done that maintenance. My real observation is I am getting back to higher temps now so that appears to be the culprit for those who say their machines won't heat as much any more. I may have to start doing the vacuum.

Stinsonddog
I assuming there is a post around here about recommended maintenance directed to different levels ranging from lazy teenager to overly detailed. Can you direct me?

Stinsonddog
Anyone have a post on recommended maintenance?

John Despres
No there is not one. But I'll put together some notes for you.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Here's something I posted to another thread a while back

Perfect airflow for the Gene Cafe is a must!

Regular cleaning habits should include -

Every roast -

1. Vacuum the air intake at the bottom right under side of the roaster
2. Vacuum the chaff collector
3. Vacuum the drum
4. Vacuum all vents and ports in the roaster

Monthly, or every 50 roasts or so...
1. strip down the chaff collector (5 or 7 screws on the bottom and four on the inside) and soak overnight in Simple Green cleaner, scrub, dry, reassemble.

2. Strip down the drum and do the same thing.

Be sure to rinse everything in lots and lots of fresh water. If you smell cleaning solution during your first return roast, well, uh, let me know how the coffee tastes.

You are responsible for your own actions. I'm very comfortable taking these things apart, but I can't take responsibility for your work.

The pay off is a happy machine!

Since you've already replaced the fan, you would already know the dis-assembly and reassembly process, so it shouldn't be difficult for you at all.

Here's a wonderful source of Gene Cafe information. This is Eddie Dove's blog and there's a lot there about the Gene; just look through the listings on the right. Eddie is a Gene Cafe master. He has helped me extensively and is a good friend.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

Stinsonddog
Have never stripped down the drum. Any images posted on how to do that? Thanks for the tips.

ahedges
I think john may have meant to post this link

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogsp...e-for.html
Edited by seedlings on 09/08/2010 8:05 AM

John Despres
Excellent link, Andrew. I meant to post the home page as there's all sorts of Gene Cafe info at Eddie's site.

But thanks for the more immediate direction!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

michele
John and ahedges, I was *thrilled* to find this thread again, I need the link to Eddie's blog with the disassembly details. I have a problem I need to figure out and this will surely help me.

Early last year I cooled down after estop without the drum!! and of course I melted the left and right filler strips so they curled up at the ends and were rubbing. I had a nice chat with Tim. He said I didn't really need them, that I could clip them off so they didn't rub, that they were only there to keep fingers out, not to do anything else. He also said he would send me replacements, but he never did, and I never called back. I clipped them (did not remove them completely) and carried on, and when they warped more, I clipped again. I shop vac like a maniac after each roast, but it's time to take apart. Also, more critically, I am now hearing a very noticeable "click" during drum rotation, on the left side. It is prominent, sounding like a gear slipping. I can feel it when I put my hand on the chasis to the left of the display. It is not constant, and starts up around 400-420F and stops before I get to 450. It comes back a bit, not as badly, on cool down. Using a flashlight during roasting, I cannot see a broken gear tooth, can see no slipping of the drum, no wobbles.

I will take apart, do some cleaning and looking, and will let you know what I find. But if you have any ideas or similar experiences, I'd be interested. I need to do this soon - in days - as I'm worried I'm going break something.

Thanks for listening.
Michele
GC (red one!), Encore Baratza, Aeropress, Melitta dripper, Primula Stovetop, Yama, French press

ginny
Michele:

http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...ad_id=1012

a link on our site to Eddie's project.

ginny

party

michele
ahaa -- Thank you, ginny. This looks really helpful too. Grin

I'll report back soon.
GC (red one!), Encore Baratza, Aeropress, Melitta dripper, Primula Stovetop, Yama, French press

John Despres
Good luck!

And have fun.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres

michele
thanks, John. I did have fun...

Eddie's how-to was excellent. Very easy to take apart, inspect, and clean. BTW, I was very pleased with my rigorous shop vac results - hardly a fleck of chaff inside ;-) When I put it back together, I left off the left filler strip, which was mangled and very much looked as if it is could be causing the clicking as the drum heated up and rotated. All screws were tight and gear teeth clean and none broken. Nothing else looked suspicious. I had to stop before I could test it out (urgh) (ok, double urgh)! But I will run a test this morning and post an update.

If the left filler strip was not the source, I will be very puzzled.

Michele
Edited by michele on 01/08/2014 9:20 AM

michele
I am very happy to report that my clicking problem is solved!! And now I realize I am hyper-sensitive to any noises beyond the gate/bumper banging and the normal motor spinning/humming. Not a bad thing, IMHO.

Again, many thanks to all who have posted GC experiences and tips. Every note is helpful in some way. This is a great place! Now I can hope my tidbit will help someone else sometime.

Michele
woohoo

michele
One more note. I was searching around and found this site. Several good articles. Apologies if it is already posted here somewhere.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/gene-ca...ee-roaster

The one item that caught my eye was on gear lubrication, which I was interested in after my cleaning session. Hope this helps.

Michele

edit to make link live only
Edited by ginny on 01/08/2014 3:12 PM

ginny
Michele:

Thank you very much for the follow up. People ask and ask, get help and NEVER tell us how things went.

I appreciate your taking the time to let us know what the final outcome was for you with the Gene Cafe.

It helps other members so much when others follow up.

Thanks again Michele,

ginny

roar

ginny
if I have not told you before,

I love your avatar...

-g

party

michele
ginny...you said same when I joined, and I am quite happy to hear it again. Thanks! (I love it too) ThumbsUp

Michele

Jump to Forum: