Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Increase PI fan speed?
dkoch
Is there a safe method for me (not particularly handy) to increase the fan speed/pressure on a PI?
Edited by dkoch on 07/01/2010 2:37 PM

seedlings
You could get a 120V to 140V transformer, which would increase voltage to the fan by 16%. This will only work if the fan can handle the increased voltage (and I've read that it can). If you really want to test the limits, a 120V to 240V is very easy to come by, would double the voltage... but probably damage the fan.

A more expensive way would be to pick up a variable transformer, then you can dial the voltage up and down.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

randytsuch
This pages shows how I did it for my pumper, which is basically the same as your poppery

I have also tried this circuit on my poppery, and it works fine.

http://randytsuch...gspot.com/

Let me know if you have any questions. There were guys on coffeegeek who bought a transformer that input 115V, and output around 130V. Will be basically the same as mine, a little more expensive, and bigger, but easier to implement.

Randy

seedlings
Did you just put the 120V wall power and the 20V secondary in series?

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
13tandemtxers.jpg

dkoch
OMG, you guys are genius. I think I'll switch to tea....

:)

randytsuch
seedlings wrote:
Did you just put the 120V wall power and the 20V secondary in series?

CHAD

No.
Take another look at my circuit.

The primary of the transformer is connecter to 115V.

One (and only one) of the secondaries is connected to one of the 115V lines, and the other secondary line gets connected to the fan. The other side of the fan is the 115V line that is NOT connected to the transformer secondary.

If you hook up the wrong end of the secondary to the 115V line, the transformer will lower the voltage, and then you need to swap secondaries.

Randy

randytsuch
davekoch wrote:
OMG, you guys are genius. I think I'll switch to tea....

:)

It's not as hard as it looks, but if you aren't comfortable with working with 115V, I would probably not try it.

But, have the fan dimmer and switch in line with the fan, along with the panal meter, while not required, do make it better for roasting.

I decrease the fan speed as the roast progresses, and the beans lose moisture and get lighter. I found that my setup won't get hot enough, if I leave the fan on at full power, towards the end of the roast.

Here is the easy way to do it
http://www.surplu...p;catname=

Buy this, and plug it in, and you get about 15 volts of boost.
Really the only reason I didn't use this is that it wouldn't fit in my box.

Randy
Edited by randytsuch on 07/02/2010 5:04 AM

bvwelch
Dave, I'd suggest leaving the fan alone, and experiment with reducing the amount of greens (buy that scale yet?). You can stir at the beginning, and they will get lighter and not need the stirring. You can also tilt but be careful that your chimney doesn't fall, etc. Toggle the heat with the switch to control your 'profile'

Edit: that tranny that Randy just posted looks safe to me! And not a bad price either.
Edited by bvwelch on 07/02/2010 5:11 AM

dkoch
bvwelch wrote:
Dave, I'd suggest leaving the fan alone, and experiment with reducing the amount of greens (buy that scale yet?). You can stir at the beginning, and they will get lighter and not need the stirring. You can also tilt but be careful that your chimney doesn't fall, etc. Toggle the heat with the switch to control your 'profile'

Edit: that tranny that Randy just posted looks safe to me! And not a bad price either.

Bill, good advice. I did buy a scale but I'm returning it later today, as it's not accurate. I separated the circuits so the switch controls the heat, and the fan is always on. I did one roast with "switching" off the heat for 5 seconds/10 seconds like Mike's article mentioned.

Perhaps as far as I should go is to buy the router speed control for $20 at Harbor Freight.

Thank you!!

Dave

bvwelch
Dave, wait awhile and it'll be on sale for $10. Meanwhile just toggle that switch - it can take it. :-)

dkoch
bvwelch wrote:
Dave, wait awhile and it'll be on sale for $10. Meanwhile just toggle that switch - it can take it. :-)

More good advice from Bill....

Thank you guys sooooooooo much!!
Dave

seedlings
I see that now. It is in series.

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
13tandemtxers2.jpg

beanflying
Do a search for a Variac on the Bay of Evil, just make sure it can handle the load you need. Most of these will overdrive 10% or more in voltage.
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

dkoch
I think the Variac is out of my league...you guys are genius.

Dave

dkoch
randytsuch wrote:

Here is the easy way to do it
http://www.surplu...p;catname=

Buy this, and plug it in, and you get about 15 volts of boost.
Really the only reason I didn't use this is that it wouldn't fit in my box.

Randy

Hey Randy,
Today I ordered the VOLTAGE BOOSTER AUTO TRANSFORMER 15 VOLT you suggested from Surplus Center. I also added a power cord for just the fan circuit, and kept the original black cord for just the heater circuit. My plan is to plug in the fan to the booster. It already gets hot enough.....fingers crossed.....

Thanks guys,
Dave
Edited by dkoch on 08/10/2010 11:53 AM

Jump to Forum: