Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Glass Chimney for PI?
dkoch
davekoch wrote:
But, last week I scored a 1400 watt Pumper version on the Evil Bay from a guy in the Boston area - to be delivered Tuesday.

Weak fan? The 1400 watt Pumper doesn't even loft 1/2 cup of green. The seller said "excellent condition".
Could I be using it incorrectly? I kept the metal butter tray inserted in the side, ~30 degree angle, stirring the beans.

I tried again, and it seemed to work better when NOT tilted. Any Pumper experts out there to give me a quick How-To?
Edited by dkoch on 07/07/2010 5:34 AM

bvwelch
Dave, just relax until you have a means of weighing the greens. I suspect you will need to reduce the amount you are trying to work with. I recommend 150g.

But also, what do you mean by 'lofting'? So long as the greens are moving and not getting scorched, don't worry about lofting them at the start of the roast -- once they begin to dry out they will be lighter and start 'lofting'.

I've got some old, and really poor quality videos here that may somehow be of help, or maybe just provide some comic relief. Note that these units have split heat and fan circuits, and the fan is 'boosted' for higher output.

http://www.youtub...r/wdmytube

Here's my secret Dave: for 'sippin' coffee -- morning drip, etc, I use the $3 bread machine with the $10 heat gun. Handles a full pound of greens with ease.

For light roasts, experimenting with profiling, etc, I use the P1 or Pumper. 150g is only 1/3 a pound, but that is OK since I have good control.
Edited by bvwelch on 07/07/2010 6:48 AM

dkoch
bvwelch wrote:
Dave, just relax ......

......and the fan is 'boosted' for higher output.

Boy, that hot-rodded fan reeeeeeeeeeeally moves the beans (mine doesn't even come close to that much movement. It looks like more than 150 grams, no?

I should maybe look into the Heat Gun / Bread Machine.

Get a 2-lbs. machine right? Harbor Freight for a gun?
Edited by seedlings on 07/08/2010 4:08 PM

bvwelch
I wish I were closer and could help you get going in person.

About the bread machine, there are many threads here for getting those going. I usually modify them for continuous stirring but if the machine has a dough cycle you might get by without modification. I also usually replace the paddle/stirrer since some are plastic and can melt with the heat gun.

seedlings
Dave, just visit you local thrift store and use whatever machine you find there (I regularly see clean, unused machines with instructions still inside for under $10). And, yes, Harbor Freight usually has the cheapest heat guns.

Blessings,
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dkoch
My Chemex 10C pot came today. WOW, that makes great drip. I have a LOT of Yirg FC roasted this week, with all my popper experimentation. So, I can't let that go to waste. ;)

Yum, I like it. Clean!!

Sounds like the Pumper seller on Evil Bay is sending me another popper to make things right. That could be cool.
Edited by seedlings on 07/08/2010 4:09 PM

Ringwood
Dave

How did you make out with the Ebay Pumper? I am thinking of using one and want to see how they work. Did you have to modify it?

Thanks,
Ring

dkoch
Eventually, I made out great. I bought the 1400w version, but it kept stalling out. After diagnosing the issue, he sent me another 1400w base with the thermostat bypassed, which works great; the fan really pumps the air. it easily roasts a cup. I bypassed the thermostat on the first 1400w, too, but it still doesn't work all that great.

I bought a 1250w on the Evil Bay, too. It also works great. For the 1250w pumper, I opened the slots on the bottom of the chamber; it make a big difference.
Edited by dkoch on 07/15/2010 7:18 AM

dja
gonna find the chaff collector I made before I can post a pic of it, but I haven't forgotten about it. just been busy.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Paul
I finally got the right sized glass Chimney today and roasted with success in a newer Pop Lite Pumper, and then tried another roast in an older Pumper with the 'vortex' pattern holes. Glass Chimney didn't fit so I tried a 3" to 4" Duct connector, and both gave me very nice roasts, Total nearly filled a pint glass.

dkoch
dja wrote:
gonna find the chaff collector I made before I can post a pic of it, but I haven't forgotten about it. just been busy.

I look forward to seeing your chaff collector. I need a better way to collect chaff. I'm using frown-shaped duct sections that fit into the top of tin cans, with the chaff ending up in a cardboard box. Easy to dump, but the popper tends to tip over with all the weight.

Other chaff collector ideas?
Edited by dkoch on 07/21/2010 4:50 AM

dja
I keep looking for the dang thing, its been a while since I used it.
what I did was to take a sifter with a plastic handle on it, some people call then strainers, one if them little wire baskets made out of like window screen. anyway it had a plastic handle which I cut off.
then I laid it on a peice of aluminum and traced around it. and cut it out. then I cut a hole in it that would let it slip down over the top of the glass globe I was using on the popper.
it just sat there like a hat and the chaff collected in it, some really fine stuff would get out thru the screen and a little around the globe but nothing that made a mess.
I'll keep looking for it, or maybe better look for a picture I may of already have if it.
Dumping was easy hold it over the trash can and shake it like a dog.
David

ronnieb
Here is what I use for my P1

The Roaster
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ronnieb_1947/Coffee%20Roaster/theroaster.jpg

The control panel
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ronnieb_1947/Coffee%20Roaster/thecontrolpanel.jpg

350F
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ronnieb_1947/Coffee%20Roaster/350F.jpg

First crack
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ronnieb_1947/Coffee%20Roaster/firstcrack.jpg

The cooler
http://i19.photob...cooler.jpg

Decaf beans roasted to 442F, just before 2nd crack.
http://i19.photob...fbeans.jpg

Sumatra Mandelhing roasted to 450F, rolling 2nd.
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ronnieb_1947/Coffee%20Roaster/SumatraMandelhingDP1.jpg

The chimney is from Wally World. I modified it to fit by grinding down the glass bead at the bottom and cut off the top with a Dremel. The cutting must be done slowly so that you release the stress in the glass and it won't break. I use a dimmer to control the fan and I use 2 booster transformers from The Surplus Center https://www.surpl...e=electric to boost capacity. I can roast 240 to 250 grams by tilting the entire assembly. The chaff collector is from Wally world also. I cut holes in the sides of a canister and lined it with aluminum screening. I cut a hole in the bottom to fit fit a small tomato paste can as an extension of the chimney. It fits the top of the glass chimney perfectly.

Ron
Sorry, the links don't work, but you can copy and paste in another window or tab.

[ Mod Edit - Made links viewable]
Edited by seedlings on 07/27/2010 1:59 AM

dkoch
ronnieb.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! Great setup!!

Thanks so much for the great info.

dja
chaff colector that i use on my popper
dja attached the following image:
image001chaffcollectordja.jpg

Edited by allenb on 08/09/2010 2:41 PM

JETROASTER
A Little something from the boneyard. My first roaster; A Sivetz heat gun. And, the chaff collector.
4" diameter at the top of the roaster fit nicely into a jello mold( my wife is still looking for it)
Small strainer on top...tweeked to create a tiny gap for chaff(not beans) Larger strainer inverted as a cap.
Chaff slips through under the first strainer, into dead air-space at the perimeter , drops right into the jello mold.
The whole assembly would slip right off. I could do 4 or 5 loads without having to empty it.
Your diameter is different, but for what it's worth. Have Fun! -Scott

JETROASTER
Whoops, here we go
JETROASTER attached the following image:
chaff_1.jpg

dja
Ok I found the Chaff Strainer that I made, I took the picture, I have tried to load it and it would not load, so I again once more this morning after fortfying myself with a nice cup of some bean that I have forgotten the name of, am once more going to try and load this picture into this thread on Homeroaster's.
Edited by dja on 07/30/2010 2:00 AM

dkoch
freshbeans wrote:
.... 4" diameter at the top of the roaster fit nicely into a jello mold
( my wife is still looking for it)Small strainer on top...tweeked to create a tiny gap for chaff(not beans) Larger strainer inverted as a cap.
Chaff slips through under the first strainer, into dead air-space at the perimeter , drops right into the jello mold.
The whole assembly would slip right off. I could do 4 or 5 loads without having to empty it.
Your diameter is different, but for what it's worth. Have Fun! -Scott

funny......

Great idea, thanks Scott!!
Edited by dkoch on 07/30/2010 3:43 AM

Jump to Forum: