Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 4:31 AM
Awesome I sent an email to AllenB and JackH The email to JackH failed. I had screenshots of my settings.

allenb
08/18/2019 3:37 AM
Jack and I are enlisting help from our PHP site admin to try and solve as soon as possible. Thanks for letting us know.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 2:53 AM
I got another PM last night......... No email notice.

snwcmpr
08/17/2019 7:36 AM
Email address correct. I constantly check junk folder. I turned off, then on, the setting to receive notice.

JackH
08/17/2019 7:10 AM
Also check that there are no spam filters set for email.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,099
Newest Member: kla65
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Home Built Drum Roaster
sc00bs
Hi Guys

Thought I should post some pics of my home built drum roaster and see if anyone has any suggestions. The roaster was built by one of my friends who is an engineering student for his years project. I removed all of the electronics that he had in it for gas control as I believe it was a bit dangerous and now have a manual system with electronic sensors to measure bean temp and air temp.
lh5.ggpht.com/_482y-XUSsiM/S-PIUx3uxiI/AAAAAAAAB94/vWsKvdBY4ho/6May2010002.jpg

The roaster uses the 12V electric motor from a golf caddy along with a bit of electronics to control the speed (otherwise operated like a spin dryer :-)). It uses the ceramic burners from a chicken roaster (would open flame be better perhaps?) and I have a variable pressure regulator connected together with an auto-shutoff for the gas if the flame goes out.

Bean cooling is done using a radiator fan from a car underneath the bean tray, I have been thinking of using the fan/motor from a leaf blower, to suck not blow obviously, and was wondering if there is a disadvantage to cooling the beans down to quickly?

Air flow is to a stainless steel vacum cleaner base (chaff collection unit) and then up to a fan which provides the suction. The air is routed using some gutter piping which you can see in the first photo, I can adjust the suction using a hole in the gutter pipe which can be opened or closed.

I am currently using the roast logger software from toomuchcoffee.com to capture the bean and air temperatures. Bean temp is via the USB port using a Victor 86c DMM with the temp probe at the front and then the air temp via a cheepo DMM with a temp probe at the back. I use the OCR feature of the software, works pretty well but more finecky than the straight USB connection obviously.
lh4.ggpht.com/_482y-XUSsiM/S-PIVXUDfZI/AAAAAAAAB98/9ffeDRPSmg8/6May2010003.jpg

Roast Logger software
lh6.ggpht.com/_482y-XUSsiM/S-PIWMWWT6I/AAAAAAAAB-A/Ep1KrDLgF5Y/6May2010004.jpg

Front Probe
lh3.ggpht.com/_482y-XUSsiM/S-PIWj-hjLI/AAAAAAAAB-E/s9IPuUDKVrc/6May2010005.jpg

Rear Probe
lh6.ggpht.com/_482y-XUSsiM/S-PIXCY28nI/AAAAAAAAB-I/KSkhTBLPIzc/6May2010006.jpg

She has been operating now for 3 months and am still developing her and working out some kinks but she has been working like a bomb with very even roasts in between 12-18 minutes depending on roast size, max seems to be around 2.2kg's.

beanflying
Nice roaster I may want to pick your brains on dimensions, burners oh and everything :) I am in the early stages of drawing up a 2.5kg roaster.

Bean cooling faster is better and if you suck rather than blow you may be able to collect a bit more chaff rather than blow it around the place.
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

sc00bs
Suck is definitely the best option, blowing using the leaf blower may result in the beans being pretty evenly distributed over the patio :-)

I am trying to get the plans for the roaster and maybe open source them so that enthusiasts can build their own machines.

JohnB

bvwelch
Very cool roaster! Thanks for sharing! And clever to read the hand-held's screen via webcam.

seedlings
You have a valuable roaster there, Sc00bs! Any shots of the construction, or the drum?

Thanks!
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Ringo
Looks like the roaster Boom built on here. http://forum.home...ad_id=1470

Lots off build pictures.
Edited by seedlings on 05/07/2010 3:25 AM

seedlings
Ringo wrote:
Looks like the roaster Boom built on here. http://forum.home...ad_id=1470

Lots off build pictures.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Good eyes, Ringo.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

sc00bs
It is Neil's roaster (Boom), I took all the electronics out though and replaced them with a more simple (and safer) control system.

JohnB

Ringo
I am still in process of building a drum roaster, I think you have a good one. As I planned mine I copyed many of his ideas. As far as cooling the beans, the faster the better. Changing burners, if its working I would not change, there are comercial IR burners in coffee roasters, maybe a little slower to react but that can be a goofd thing, as long as you have all the BTU's you need to finish the roast fast enough I would just enjoy the coffee.

Jump to Forum: