Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,203
Newest Member: Dave Tee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ready to bust a move?!?
acidwashed
Hey guys,
I know I don't have a very high post count but I scan the boards for information on a weekly basis. I wanted to put this question/scenario out there and see what your feedback would be.

Currently, I'm set up on a modified bread maker / heat gun roasting platform. I roast about 20 lbs per month for personal use and friendly sales.

(Un)fortunately, my knack for efficiency has led me down the road of obsessing over roasting more coffee in a shorter amount of time. I'm looking for a way to roast 5-10 lbs at a time so that I may increase my customer base and turn more people on to the joy that is fresh coffee.

Right now I'm torn between something in the YM-2 or IR-3 category and something more like this: http://www.ashell...coffee.htm Doing the bbq drum roasting thing is not appealing to me at all!

Either way, it's a lot of money to plunk down on a roaster but I have some cash to feed that cow and I'm getting close to making my move. Do any of you have experiences that might help me make my decision?

I'm leaning towards the fluid bed method because I like the results I've gotten with my set up but I could certainly be swayed.

Any help you can give would be super appreciated. Thanks.
Mike

Koffee Kosmo
You can follow Roaster Robs build instructions and construct his fluid bed roaster
If you are not the DIY type you can have it manufactured in a engineering shop

The dollars you save will go towards green beans to roast ThumbsUp

KK

I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
seedlings
KK has nailed it.

For RoasterRob's setup, see:

http://forum.home...owstart=40

If you want more specifics, Rob has always been very helpful. If electric is appealing, I bet we could figure up something to replace Rob's Sievert torch.

For me, I can't imagine spending $5k~$15k without a business model for income, but I do like that Ashe!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

acidwashed
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the RoasterRob project and see what it takes.

acidwashed
I've come to a conclusion. Diedrich IR-3 on it's way. Here we go...!

seedlings
acidwashed wrote:
I've come to a conclusion. Diedrich IR-3 on it's way. Here we go...!

Oh, wow. Wow. I would thoroughly enjoy hearing about your setup, testing, and general thoughts about this bad boy.

CHAD

acidwashed
Thanks Chad. I'll keep the info flowing when it gets into place. I managed to get a partner on this so it definitely reduced the sting a bit but I think it was a good buy and I can't wait to roast on this baby! I've read everything I can find on the machine (except the manual!) and the guy I'm getting it from thinks that it's a fairly forgiving machine to roast on for a newbie to 6lb batches. He moved up to a USRC 12k machine and this IR-3 was gathering dust. It should be here early next week but it might be a minute to get the duct work up to par and all that jazz. I've already been in contact with Diedrich and they seem pretty easy to work with so that's a plus.

acidwashed
Here are some pics! My initial thoughts are whoa Nelly! This thing is super cool and I just need some time with it to get the controls down. Gas flow reacts slower than the air control for overall temperature control. Bigger batches are easier to control than smaller ones. Did my first 6.5 lb batch tonight and was pretty pleased with the time and the process but I'll need to work with the machine for a while before I really get the hang of it. My first 2 3lb batches were too dark and very roasty but I took them too far into full 2nd crack. The bigger batch tonight was easier because I just kept the flame up and moved the over at times suggested by the previous owner. I pulled it just as the 2nd crack was hinting presence. I'll update more info as I work this out...
hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs082.snc3/15006_394590952656_500117656_4279942_7709050_n.jpg

hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs082.snc3/15006_394590902656_500117656_4279935_1801301_n.jpg

hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs082.snc3/15006_394590942656_500117656_4279940_5423606_n.jpg

jerstew
Congratulations on your new roaster. The roasted batch in the cooling tray looks superb, especially for a test run. I have roaster envy. Are you planning to make a full time business out of your new purchase? I hope so, and wish you luck. Looking forward to see and hear more about your progress.

Koffee Kosmo
WOW
As you have friendly sales currently this roaster will take you to the next level

Congrats mate

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
seedlings
Amazing!

Shock You have a bonafide business!

:Clap:
CHAD

acidwashed
Well, several months later, I'm not so sure about the business aspect but I do love roasting on this machine. I do have some issues with the current thermocouple but I'm pretty sauced on the over all roasting qualities of this machine. I've gone through several hundred pounds on this roaster and would certainly recommend it for anyone looking to take the next step. I know Diedrich recently changed their machines but if anyone is looking for a decent mid-level roaster that will help you boost your base, this would be a good choice!
Thanks.
Mike

Jump to Forum: