Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need some help on which Roaster is best for you?
Jimbo
Hey all,

Been out wandering in the weeds (sort-to-speak) and have been neglecting the board. (Dang job.)

Still roasting as often as possible.

Just did an inventory of my beans, and I'm happy to report that I have 12 varieties on hand in varying amounts. (Shameless gloat ...)

Anyway, about the poll. I have a Hottop that I am very happy with, so if money were truly not an issue I would be investing in a 2 lb Sonofresco.
Will definitely get my hands on a 1 lb propane model as soon as I have the extra cash.

seedlings
Oh, a Sonofresco on the counter next to the Kitchenaid Mixer would be dreamy.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Randy G
I will add my $.02 here. First, the disclaimer: as most of you probably already know, I work as an independent contractor for Hottop- I created the entire USA website as well as the entire users/owners manual. And just to clarify further, I do not make any money from Hottop sales, nor do I personally sell new Hottops (although I do work the Hottop booth at the SCAA shows). With that out of the way-

The Hottop is, indeed, a workhorse. I have completely disassembled the various models many times, for cleaning as well as photographic purposes. So I probably know this machine, inside out (literally) about as well as all but two or three people in the US. While I am no master roaster by any stretch of the imagination, I can say that the KN-8828B model is my favorite roaster. I flatter myself by saying that a part of its development was spurred on by me, but I pushed for manual control since the very first Hottop roaster came into the US. The ability to manually control the roast through the entire process is as good as one is likely to find in an electric roaster made for home use.

If there are any specific questions about this roaster, please feel free to ask, either here or by E-Mail as I am glad to assist.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
John Despres
ginny wrote:
Anyone seen or know much about the Quest MP# Roaster.

I have seen pictures and specs but no price?

ginny

Looks like there's one at Sweet Maria's undergoing some tests...ThumbsUp

http://www.flickr...323460634/

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
John Despres
Randy,

I enjoyed reading your reviews of the Gene Cafe as well as the HotTop. I opted for the Gene Cafe 2 1/2 years ago because of the price difference. Your review of it is spot on! I agree the two failings is the internal cooling and the inability to measure bean mass temperature. The cooling is easy to overcome with an external colander/shop vac setup, but the bean mass temp issue is truly the only drawback to this roaster.

There's certainly enough information available from the roaster. The visible beans and the Environmental Temperature combined with external knowledge, ie: what temp 1st crack occurs at and the temp beans yellow at makes this a pretty remarkable machine. I've put about 400 pounds through mine and it keeps on truckin'.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Randy G
ginny wrote:
Anyone seen or know much about the Quest MP# Roaster.

I just got a reply back from he Quest folks in regards to getting a unit for review purposes for my website. The price they quoted me was WAY too much to even consider since I do not make any money from my website.. The delivered price was actually more than a KN-8828P! A the same capacity as the Hottop, I couldn't even sell the thing when I was done with it to break even.

ginny
Randy,

your right. I spoke with these folks and they are very clesar on what they want
and will not consider a penny less.

Tom may get one or already have one from what these folks say.

who knows I was surprised they would not deal a bit to get the machine
out and used by home roast folks.

ginnyGrin

Randy G
It's not the first time I have been denied easy access to review equipment. Many manufacturers have been happy to supply goods, but others .. well, not so much.

The various representative companies of Krups over the last 4 years have made promises, asked for my contact information and mailing address over and over, and that was it. They never followed up on their promises. I spoke to Joe Behm (Behmore) a few times, face-to-face as well as by E-Mail, and that was as far as it went. There have been others. The MyPressi Twist folks specifically said, 'We wont 'Krups' you,' but after the initial contact, even after numerous attempts by me to contact them by E-mail, I failed to receive a reply.

On the other hand, other companies have happily supplied me with goods. The Hearthware folks got me a iRoast2, and stated that they didn't even care if I reviewed it, and just wanted me to have one. My history with Hottop started that way as well, beginning with my review of the original KN-8828 which, to the best of my knowledge, was a worldwide first (years before I began working with them). The Espro folks (Toroid Pitchers) are a good example of a company that was thrilled for me to review their products.

Since my site does not offer advertising and I am not beholding to anyone, my reviews are quite thorough and detailed, and dare I say, honest, and are written to serve only my readers (as much as any one person can possibly do so, I like to think).

You can put those things together (my detailed and honest reviews, and the lack of response from some manufacturers) and read into it what you like. After over nine years of creating and maintaining my website, it does get old trying to get folks to either supply equipment for review or to follow up on promises or for me to follow up on leads.

.. I'd better stop now before I get pissy... :@

seedlings
Maybe you could review Koffee Kosmo's Turbo Roaster? Wouldn't that would be a hoot!

http://forum.home...owstart=75
CHAD

Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Randy G
seedlings wrote:
Maybe you could review Koffee Kosmo's Turbo Roaster? Wouldn't that would be a hoot!

wrong continent... ;)

dbs
Any comments on the Nesco Professional? Pro or con?

David

oldgearhead
dbs wrote:
Any comments on the Nesco Professional? Pro or con?

David

I ran a highly-modified Z&D for a couple of years. it ran quite well actually.
However, I would NEVER recommend the 'Mental Ware Company (Nesco)' to anyone because they will not sell internal parts to users...end of story..
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_9727.jpg

Edited by oldgearhead on 01/20/2012 12:29 PM
No oil on my beans...

dbs
Thanks for the reply. Forgive my ignorance -- what's a Z&D? And why is Nesco's failure to sell spare parts a problem? Do you mean it breaks down easily so needs repair frequently? Or??

oldgearhead
Z&D is Zach and Dani's. It was the fore-runner of the Nesco Roaster.
As is, the Nesco is underpowered and uncontrolable. However, with a bit of re-wiring and a good varible auto-transformer it can do a very nice job with 150 gram loads. But the modification puts added pressure on the tiny roaster element and insures failure after about 20 kilos of greens. The roaster's element is easy to replace but hard to duplicate. Therefore, not being able to buy them is a deal-breaker.

In addition the the element, the main bearing will probably not make it to 20 kilos either, but it is available and inexpensive. A small press does make the bearing (626) installation pretty easy.

Finially, the ZD/Nesco was too small for my needs, so I built this one:
http://forum.home...ad_id=2207
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_9153_3.jpg

Edited by oldgearhead on 01/23/2012 3:28 AM
No oil on my beans...

JimmyC
I used a Behmor for a couple of years before going bigger. The profiles are of limited use, but it's OK if u roast by smell and sound....

troposcuba
Another Gene Cafe user here. I have been roasting about 10 years. I have used various methods, for the longest part of that time, I have used the iRoast and iRoastII machines. I have killed 3 of them through overuse mostly. I have also broken several of the glass roasting pots due to negligence on my part. I liked those machines well enough, but found it harder and harder to get parts for them. That is why I stepped up to the GC recently. I only have a couple roasts on the GC, but they were a success right off the bat. I contribute that to a lot of past roasting experience on on the iRoast machines and being familiar with the roast process. More so, I contribute that to the reading I have done here and other sites before I started using my GC. It remains to be seen if I will remain consistant with this machine.

So for a comparison, I like the control that the GC gains you during the roasting compared to the iRoast (which is programmable, but not as easy to adjust on the fly during the roast). I did a batch on both machines of the same bean to as close as the same roast level as I could do for comparison. The result was noticeably better with the GC. So my vote should be pretty obvious. It is also better suited to my quantity of usage. That is all, hope this helps.
Sean

ciel-007
Randy G wrote:

... I created the entire users/owners manual... The Hottop is, indeed, a workhorse. I have completely disassembled the various models many times... a part of its development was spurred on by me... The ability to manually control the roast through the entire process is as good as one is likely to find in an electric roaster made for home use...

Randy, I wish to acknowledge and thank you for your outstanding contributions to the fascinating world of roasting.

The owners/user manuals for the HotTop roasters are the richest and the most complete that I have ever seen. I would highly encourage anyone contemplating roasting to read your HotTop manuals... regardless of the brand of home roaster they elect to use.

Further, I wish to compliment you for illustrating how this type of roaster can easily be modified, and thus encouraging owners to improve their units, and the quality of the cup they are striving to achieve. Also, thank you showing owners how it is possible to save a bit of money on expendables during the rewarding roasting experience.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Jump to Forum: