Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Building a drum roaster
jerry43
Thanks for the link. It is a hefty drum with some nice welding inside.

jerry43
I found some super nice red paint for my non-hot parts of my roaster frame. It's Valspar Oil Enamel in red gloss. The brush on can says it has a hard tile like finish. It looks wet even when dry.

I gotta try it on some piece of farm equipment and see how it holds up in the sun.

Ringo
Its hard to tell in the picture but it may be a thick ring welded to the end of the drum. If the drum is that thick the drum has a lot of steel.

DrJimmy
That ring looks to me like a stiffener - maybe mild steel that is used to maintain the roundness of the drum. This would allow the use of thinner stainless while still keeping things straight.

Another interesting item is that the mount for the shaft is female. This would allow you to put the whole drum in a lathe from the outside and machine the inside diameter rather than machining the outside of the drum. Not sure what I'm looking at on those flipper flappers. The seem to be in line with the rotation of the drum. Maybe they're cracker croakers.

I'm not a welder either (certifiable maybe) but I might differ with Jerry on the quality of the welds. If Ringo works with boilers he knows what I mean.
JIM

Ringo
What I think the flaps are are the return veins, used to kick the beans back to the back of drum. Looks like they left a little tab on the forward veins to weld the reverse veins too. You could put them on the forward veins outside the drum. Look a little bit light weight. I also was surprised how short the forward veins were. But I know these are great roasters. On a side note, I want to go have coffee at that shop, that guy knows his stuff I think.

Ringo
Edited by Ringo on 03/26/2010 12:06 AM

jerry43
Ever try welding thin stainless steel? Stainless conducts heat better than mild steel. You have distortion to deal with and the risk of burn through. Add in the the tiny space welding in the drum and it is no piece of cake.

DrJimmy
Yep, agree Jerry. Not the easiest. My point is if these are "mass produced" as it says in the photo album, this is not what I would have expected.
JIM

Ringo
Jerry, funny you said that today I am welding thin stainless today, what a pain. Welding on my trier, and the big funnel to load beans.

Ringo

Ringo
Did the trial roast tonight, I feel like it went good. The roast went way too fast. 1C at 6:30 I had a FC+ at 9 min with some tipping. I just have to learn to slow this down, but I feel like I have plenty of heat, plenty of air.
Edited by Ringo on 03/30/2010 2:27 PM

John Despres
Sounds like you built a monster that needs taming!

Congratulations!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
jerry43
How long did it take to get the roaster up to temp before you loaded the beans?
Edited by jerry43 on 03/31/2010 2:52 AM

Ringo
I did not time it but it was at least 15 min. I feel like it will be a good roaster but it would be a little better if the drum was thinner. Felt like I was pushing around a bus. Will not let me post any pictures, must be a limit on how many you can post.
Edited by Ringo on 03/31/2010 6:19 AM

RoasterRob
jerry43 wrote:
Ever try welding thin stainless steel? Stainless conducts heat better than mild steel. You have distortion to deal with and the risk of burn through. Add in the the tiny space welding in the drum and it is no piece of cake.

Hi Jerry

Actually mild steel conducts heat better than stainless, which is why mild steel is preferred for the drum on a roaster, cast iron even more so.
The distortion is due to a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than mild steel. Best way to weld SS is to have a near perfect fit up and weld without the addition of filler wire (autogenous).

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

Warrior372
What are some good online sources for cast iron tube to utilize in making a roasting chamber? All I can find is solid rod.

Ringo
Just to give you a heads up, Cast is very hard to work. Hard to weld and grind.

Warrior372
I am going to have to go to a welder regardless of what type of metal I use. Would there be a huge difference in welding cost too?

Ringo
Not an expert with cast, but good many good welders were I work and only one will attempt cast. He welds then beats it with a hammer does this over and over. So takes longer and a more skilled welder. One possible place to get a drum is a cast iron cooking pot, If you use one just plan on screewing and riviting most things to it.

Warrior372
Sounds like it might just be easier to stick with stainless :) .

Ringo
Look at stock pots, looks like a nice drum.

RoasterRob
I wouldn't bother with cast iron. Get a drum rolled in 2mm thick mild steel. Easier to work with than cast by far, easier than SS and conducts heat much better. Most commercial drum roasters use mild steel, none that I know of use SS and I doubt any use cast iron any more.
For my drum roaster project (not complete) I had one rolled in 2mm MS.

Rob

VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

Jump to Forum: