Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Gigimedrano
04/17/2019 6:33 AM
Hi guys, my hot top has stripper a gear.. ive only had it for a lil over a year now hot top wants 120+ for a new motor and gearbox assembly any idea? Is this normal year and some Months dont seem lik

Ray Kahuna
04/16/2019 8:04 AM
has anyone built an adjustable coffee grind press?

Nitesh
04/01/2019 10:04 PM
Hello, I have been trying to get in contact with manufacturer of HB roaster in China but failed until now. Does anyone have idea who is the manufacturer of HB roaster in China?

allenb
03/30/2019 3:46 AM
Spammer babble from me and others have been removed from Centrifugal Roasters Thread. From here on we will toss them immediately. ThumbsUp

jpworks
03/27/2019 11:15 PM
What’s the preferred way to upload pics from iPhone?

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,912
Newest Member: Breger1
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Organic going bye-bye?
seedlings
Brett posted a link to this on Facebook, and I'm just relaying the link here for discussion:

http://www.csmoni...ndoning-it

Roasters aren't as willing to pay higher prices for organic.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Clifford
I hope organic survives
May the Force be with your cup

jlyon10
Me too, we have enough chemicals in every thing else.
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

http://www.jimscoffeebeans.com
John Despres
Organic food growth is a tough business. The public needs to be educated, and only then will they buy it and make it valuable for the growers.

We try to eat locally grown organic whenever possible, then we choose non-local. Hopefully it will catch on at a quicker rate than it is.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
seedlings
Economy isn't helping. Seems like we're willing to spend more for quality when we have more to spend.

CHAD

smatty1
I call it the pay now or pay later plan. What you dont spend now on proactive health, you'll spend later on hospitals, medications, cutting out cancers, etc. We have the power to determine the fate of the organic industry here. Demand and they will deliver.

www.shop.com/johnbytell
seedlings
Can one build up an immunity to pesticide?

CHAD

endlesscycles
The only reason I care about organic is because my customers are convinced that their customers are convinced that it matters somehow. I'm not sold. Some products are obviously horrid to the soil, such as strawberries. If such is the case with coffee, I'd like to know. I've seen enough mono-crop corn fields that churn out the goods year after year to know that it's not all bad. As far as chemical remnants on the bean, I seriously doubt it's significant with the product in question here.

Please, convince me!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
I look at it this way - Why eat bug killer? Even trace amounts of bug killer. If there's a possibility it's there, why do it?

Then there's the flavor. Once a farmer's gone organic, they tend to think about the earth itself more carefully. Greater care of the earth ends up in the final product. And good earth breeds good tasting stuff. It's terroir, baby! Terroir!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Clifford
Great comment John
Edited by Clifford on 01/08/2010 8:16 AM

endlesscycles
I'm not tasting a difference. In fact, the best coffees I've had were not certified organic. That's not to say that the farmers practices would not have qualified for certification. And that brings up the sticky nature of the certification process. If organic soil makes coffee more flavorful, then the choice will be made obvious to the farmer by the higher value of coffee grown in it and not by some conjecture or certification. I think imposing a rigid framework of farming guidelines is harmful to the farms welfare, especially considering that money going to oversight is not going to the farmer.

As an aside, and to reinforce my position: I buy much of my produce directly from a local farmer whether it's exactly what I want or not but because it's what he has to offer. I'm not sure it's certified or even eligible for certification but the food is quite delicious and I'm happy to know that I'm supporting his farm and our local economy directly.

John Despres wrote:
I look at it this way - Why eat bug killer? Even trace amounts of bug killer. If there's a possibility it's there, why do it?

Then there's the flavor. Once a farmer's gone organic, they tend to think about the earth itself more carefully. Greater care of the earth ends up in the final product. And good earth breeds good tasting stuff. It's terroir, baby! Terroir!

John

-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

gene
The more I see of John the more I realize how attuned we are to the same wavelength. On this issue he is spot on.

For years , back on the farm, I composted. A long time reader of Mother Earth news. A 25 year subscriber to Organic Gardening. One year I grew one half of tomatoes with Miracle Gro and the other half with compost.

The Miracle Gro tomatoes had a very sharp acidic taste. The same tomato using compost had a much more robust, mellow, deep flavor. It is just too hard to describe the subtle differences. Like coffee, you just have to taste it. Every one bragged on the composted tomatoes. It was like that with all the veggies but the tomato experiment was easiest.
A lot of people are skeptical of composting and don't "see" the difference, you have to show them.

YOU GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN! That holds true whether it be taste or look of products from apple trees, coffee trees, roses, or carrots.

And these nagging issues from a recent publication:

"The concerns raised by those apprehensive about the use of pesticides and agricultural chemicals in coffee growing are twofold. First is the health issue for the consumer: whether harmful chemical residues may reach our systems when we drink coffee. Second are the related environmental and social issues: whether buying coffees that may be grown with the help of potentially harmful chemicals contributes to the destruction of the environment and threatens the health of the rural poor who raise coffee".

Now I'll get off my soapbox and go have a nice cup of Yirga Cheffe blended with Costa Rica Genesis Miel....both taken to the very verge of second crack. MMMMMM Miel terroir!

gene

John Despres
Gene, ThumbsUp
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Marshall,

For the most part, I concur where coffee is concerned. I'm not sure I can say this particular batch Ethiopia Organic Idido Misty Valley is tastier than a non-organic batch of the same bean since I don't have two batches to compare, and I don't know if I ever will have that availability.

That said, I do know from personal experience, buying organically grown produce from our local farm where we are members, does indeed taste better than going to the local farmer's market and buying like food that is not grown in the same manner. Now, that's not to say we exclusively purchase organically grown products, but we do go a bit out of our way to get it.

With those factors in mind, I am fairly certain that the organic IMV would indeed taste better than a non-organic batch.

OK then, we select few have the extreme great fortune to be buying specialty coffees as well as Cup Of Excellence beans that are not widely available. This begs the question, is an organically grown specialty coffee better than another specialty coffee that is not grown as such? I dunno; can't say as I cannot compare apples to apples in this matter.

The logic of the better tasting locally produced organics, in my mind stretches to coffee as well.

And I still have issues with consuming pesticides. Why do it if there's an alternative? In addition, some of the chemical processes are known to deplete the earth of valuable qualities.

My wife's much better versed in this issue and I eat what she brings into the house. Me, I'm good with a bag of Doritos, some sliced cheese and a beer (I was single for a very long time, and those habits are difficult to break...). I will say this, though: every organic beer I've tasted is substandard crap...

But Lea doesn't buy me Doritos... sigh.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

Clifford
I will buy organic as a preference when I can, but, like John, I buy cup of excellence and special batches

gene
Me too Clifford. Organic is never a sure thing.

Or catch my friend when he travels down to Panama. Don't know how often since he just bought down there in the Boquette region.

JLC
I've seen produce harvesters clothed from head to toe in the hot sun to avoid exposure to the chemicals,
does it effect the flavor? maybe not, but supporting the land guardian over Con-agra is the choice for me.
I have noted no tummy upset since switching to org. coffee, I used to get that "hafta eat now!" feeling.
Oaxacan is a fav., and Meso de los Santos from a year ago rocked, wish I could get some more o'dat!

Jump to Forum: