Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Undercover Coffee Assignment
seedlings
I've told a similar story before, but this is the latest...

I told joetownroaster last night that I'd go to a local roaster, undercover, to help determine what's wrong with their coffee. (He's moved recently and has been living on non-homeroast for a while, so don't get the wrong impression) He's bugged by an aftertaste whang that he can't place. It's not just their brewing because he bought some whole bean and had the same problem at home. So, I'm off to Hazel's Coffee:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091455-00.jpg i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091456-00.jpg

Inside it's the typical coffee shop with an arsenal of flavored coffees on the right hand wall:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091458-00.jpg

With House Blend, House Dark, and only 3 single origins available. No one cares about those, so they put piles of merchandise in front of them:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091457-00.jpg

The roaster is in a small room:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091457-01.jpg

So I went to the counter and asked what was on tap. She said House Blend, House Dark, 4 flavored coffees and zero single origins. I opted for the House Blend:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091502-00.jpg

Bleech! <cough> :(

As I remember the last time I was in there, there's Mint, Chocolate, cinnamon and a host of other flavorings fighting each other. Following that, the aftertaste is a center-of-the-tongue emptiness, dryness. Not bitter or sour - maybe salty. Not really medicinal, but similar. Joetownroaster, I just can't place it either. So, let's get a closer examination of the Roaster and Greens.

The roaster is a nice Diedrich:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091501-01.jpg

And then the greens strewn about here on the floor:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/1216091501-00.jpg

In that picture of greens you can make out Brazil, Sidamo, and a Zephyr label on a Huehue bag. (I buy from Zephyr, and I've had some of their less expensive coffees, which always tasted nice when I roast them).

So, if they have a good Roaster and decent to good greens, the problem either lies with the roasting technique or, my bigger suspicion, cleanliness. My guess is that the carafe from which my cup poured has seen it's share of flavored coffees, and some remnant of all the previous offerings remains. I wonder if they flavor their coffees in the drum? Or if they flavor them by some other method that contaminates every other batch.

As the cup cools, I can say this is a fairly light roast with water spread over too thin a layer of grounds - overextracted. Woa, I just took a big inhale of the coffee cup aromas and it literally wretched my stomach a little. Bah.

So, this was my afternoon break exercise.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
It pains me to see you take this on, CHAD. You are a good and helpful person.

Perhaps a huge package of Cafiza should be sent over? And bleach.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Koffee Kosmo
Got to hand it to you CHAD
A human Guinea pig

What advice will you give & more important will they take it ? ThumbsUp
KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
seedlings
Koffee Kosmo wrote:
Got to hand it to you CHAD
A human Guinea pig

What advice will you give & more important will they take it ? ThumbsUp
KK

I'm guessing that the girl behind the counter, although friendly, wasn't the master roaster of the establishment. When I asked if there were any "single origins" she had just enough of a confused look that would discount any further discussion.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

joetownroaster
Let's me use his roaster ... and tastes my bitter burden. Watta guy.

Thank man!

Jump to Forum: