renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Building my first drum roaster
itsallaroundyou
well the foil was a great idea in theory....but as my housemate pointed out, it might conduct heat from the inside walls to the back walls....i tested it and it does :(.....so, its great for handling, but for installation, i'm going to leave the foil on the back for handling and cut it off the side that it insulates.

unfortunately, i wont be able to get pics up before i leave (i'm flying to new zealand tonight), but will get some up as soon as i get back. i'm almost a little embarrassed posting em alongside jon's (rcwarship's) craftmanship....your roaster is coming out awesome! :)

hopefully once mine is up and running the laptop sitting on top will distract people away from the rough edges...its a clunker laptop too...maybe i need some flashing LEDs too?

-mike
"If it wasn't for venetian blinds it'd be curtains for us all"

dBndbit
Never let style or image get in the way of creativity. Real coffee engineers only respect beauty in the cup!
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

http://www.ReeferDoor.com
Koffee Kosmo
dBndbit wrote:
Never let style or image get in the way of creativity. Real coffee engineers only respect beauty in the cup!

I second that ThumbsUp

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
itsallaroundyou
ok, was able to do a little more work on the roaster...i did some preliminary testing of the heating capacity with some even more preliminary insulation installed.

first the good news---with both heaters and the fan at full blast, i don't blow any fuses :) however, the power cord gets really hot, so i'll need to run it at less than max for most of the roast, leading to.....

...the "bad" news: i need to really insulate the heck out of it. it heated fast initially, i didn't watch too closely, but it got to about 350F in 5 mins, 450 in 10 mins, but i seemed to max out at 500F, which seems like it might be a touch low if i'm trying to heat a pound of beans quickly. my plan is to add insulation to the interior (foil wrapped for reflective radiant heat), and see how much that helps.

also, i think i have finally secured a free old laptop that i can use to get my data acquisition and my roaster in the same place at the same time :)

more to come later.....

John Despres
Looks like good progress. I wonder if increasing your cord size will help?

I'm not so sure your roaster is heating up too fast. My purpose built gene Cafe hits 300F in roughly 90 seconds and from there it hits max at 482F in about... well I don't know, it never gets there, the roast is usually finished before that.

I think you may be right on the money. Once you get the insulation on there and make it more efficient, I believe you will be roasting up some pretty good coffee.

As to one pound, it will take a bit more heat to get the roast started, but once the roast gets moving, it will be just fine.

Congrats on the laptop. I have a retired Dell that is strictly for logging roasts as well.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
seedlings
ThumbsUp Form follows function in homeroasting!

ThumbsUp Waiting on pictures!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

itsallaroundyou
well chad, you're in luck because i remembered to bring my camera to work today. unfortunately, i don't have very good pics, but i have a few of the controller and of the back with the convection fan and the extra fan i added.....hopefully this will tide the angry over until i take a few more :)

here's a pic of my heater controller. i have two of them, one for the top heater one for the bottom.
itsallaroundyou attached the following image:
heatercontroller.jpg

Edited by itsallaroundyou on 09/04/2009 9:14 AM

itsallaroundyou
here's the back with some of the insulation panels in place (they are no longer foil covered do to conduction problems)

the fan and wiring in the center is the convection fan that was originally part of the oven.
backwithinsulation.jpg

Edited by itsallaroundyou on 09/04/2009 9:17 AM

itsallaroundyou
and finally, the back with the case together, you can see my metal working needs a little help, but the fan fits out the back, so i'm happy :)
back.jpg

Edited by itsallaroundyou on 09/04/2009 9:19 AM

seedlings
Awesome pictures! Looks like part of the International Space Station!

CHAD

itsallaroundyou
seedlings wrote:
Awesome pictures! Looks like part of the International Space Station!

CHAD

just wait till i have the inside covered in foil, the exterior motor and the cooling tray attached, and a laptop on top....all i'll need are thrusters and it could be a space station! (could probably even get it to roast some beans on re-entry :)

itsallaroundyou
ok, here some more pics....this is the front with the door closed, the control panel is in place the two black knobs are upper and lower heating elements, the middle knob is a standard dimmer for the added fan. the convection fan runs all the time.
front.jpg

itsallaroundyou
interior shot showing the convection fan in the back and the hold where the drum will interface the outside world for adding beans and dumping beans
interior.jpg

itsallaroundyou
this side still needs a dump chute, and a cooling tray, but its getting there :)

itsallaroundyou
this side still needs a dump chute, and a cooling tray, but its getting there :)

you can see the also unfinished drum, the high vacuum gaskets are the rings that make up the skeleton. i have an end plate that will interface the axle that isn't shown
side.jpg

Edited by itsallaroundyou on 09/04/2009 3:26 PM

rcwarship
Great stuff, thanks for posting the pictures, looks like this jewel will be awesome.
Best Regards,
Jon
Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand.

itsallaroundyou
ok, one more pic that i forgot to take....the temp sensors. i put them next to a guitar pick since i couldn't find any coins. needless to say, they react to temp changes very quickly, though i'm still working on getting them to display greater than 0.5C resolution.
tempsensors.jpg

itsallaroundyou
alright, well progress is crawling along....here's a shot of the stirring vanes in my drum. the are made from the tines of a veggie steamer, each hammered flat and bent at 90 degrees. i really didn't know how to situate them so i made two rows of vanes that would push the beans towards the dump chute and two that would push them back....looks like there will be lots of agitation, though i'm not sure if it will effectively push the beans out the front when i open the door. the dump chute door will have a vane attached that will direct beans away from the door, but will be out of the way when opened.
stirringvanes.jpg

seedlings
Are your temp sensors thermistors?

Awesome guitar pick. What do you play? I like my LTD EC-1000 sunburst with EMGs.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/21/2009 2:18 AM

itsallaroundyou
yup, they are ceramic platinum thermistors......and i hope this doesn't get me kicked off the boards, but....i'm not a guitarist....i'm a drummer :)

Jump to Forum: