Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Homeroast Supply Store, etc
Hoomin Bean
To mention the etc first: after roasting about 3 tons (no kidding) on a bbq during the past 15 months or so, 3/4 of it in the last six months, I'm setting up a Primo 20 pounder in a storefront where I have room for a coffee counter and equipment retail. Apart from some press pots, other brewers, grinders, "home barista gear" and so forth, I want to create a Homeroaster's Shop in one corner.

Obviously, I can and will rebag greens, but I also want to display a book or two (Kenneth Davids for one, any other suggestions?) and a few countertop units, even a cheap popper for low barrier hobby entry.

What would be your ideal components in a homeroast supply? What specific equipment would you suggest to create a spectrum of prices and options?

I can imagine that some of you have imagined such a store in an espresso fever dream. Please share your comments. Any will be received with much gratitude.

Ed

www.hoboed.net
jspain
Ed,

I'm jealous! Looks like you're going to have fun. I'll let others chime in on books. As far as a home roast center I believe you are right on track. I bought my first FreshRoast at a little store like you discribe. I'd stock the newer FreshRoast8, Iroast2, and maybe a Nesco.... The Behmor, Gene's, and Hot Top could be available through you with literature for them to view. Inventory can kill a small business getting started and those can add up quick. Have the good greens available, valve bags, french presses, vac pots, areopress, scales, etc. None of that will add a lot to cost of inventory and can be reordered and replaced as sold. I'd be ready to demonstrate each. I'd also suggest working with the Chamber of Commerce and have an OPEN HOUSE with an educational piece of the wonders of fresh roast.

Hope this helps.....and I wish it was me! Jim
"How we treat our children determines who we are!"

seedlings
I'd love to have a shop where a customer can roast a small batch himself in the store to take with him... for a premium price... on a Behmor or hottop or something like that.

In addition, if there aren't any good espresso machines available in your area, better than Krups and Breville, then you might try to pick up an account to get, say, Rancilio or Gaggia - or at least be able to order them.

Grinders. Have good Grinders available.

Your patrons will be more dedicated as you become their one-stop-shop.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

tbeavers12
Small low cost items like shot glasses, thermometers are also kind of hard to find. Carrying those would help the one-stop-shop concept as well. Great idea about allowing customer roasting. Definitely would be good to do your first batch under the helm of a knowledgable roaster.

:Clap:

Hoomin Bean
Jim, thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't thinking of bags, yet on the other side of the counter, I'll have them in cases. And the scale - perfect. The word "scale" triggered several ideas. You're certainly right about inventory costs, but this is a "nook" so I hope it won't be too big a burden. Regarding education, I was going to do cupping already, and having a 'homeroast workshop' is a great idea. tbeavers: similarly, thanks for the thought on shotglasses, etc.

Chad, that is an arresting idea, about roasting in the store. I can't wrap my head around when and how it happens, but it keeps resonating.

Gosh, this forum got busy. Kudos to the admins and regulars. It used to be that you could post a topic and it stayed on the recent posts page forever. Now it sinks fast, so this is a thank you and a bump! Any more ideas?

www.hoboed.net
John Despres
Good morning, HB.

I'm involved with a similar deal, but moving very slowly on it. Our intent is to become a little home roasting mecca. To gauge interest, we'll have FreshRoast 8 roasters for sale, as well as greens. The idea is to start with a monthly home roasting course.

The setup is in a little roastery attached to a local art gallery. Good art, good coffee.

There are already a variety of brewers for sale, but launching the roaster sales is what's next if we can make the time... Well, if I can, anyway...

My thought on brewers and the related gear is folk will come to all that on their own if you get them roasting fresh coffee. They just need to know quality brewing gear is out there and you have it/can get it. I don't think you need to stock thousands of dollars of grinders and brewers until many folk arrive at that logical next step.

Maybe a few sizes of French presses and a some Aeropresses and a few ceramic drip pour overs, but even that's not totally necessary.

I think if you can get folk roasting to their complete satisfaction, they will return to you for more knowledge and supplies and you can grow things as your customers demand more. - "Hmmm, no I don't have that grinder, but I can get one for you or send you to the right place..."

Have fun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Hoomin Bean
Congratulations, John. Good luck on your venture. As we phase these stages, it may be a few months until I get to the homeroast nook. When it gets to another level, I'll post about it.

Meanwhile, we are thinking about presenting this at farm markets. Make a brochure, plug in a FreshRoast and see what happens. The object being to sell greens.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Anyone has any more, I'm still interested!

www.hoboed.net
jlyon10
I thought of doing the same thing, but my wife doesn't think it would work.
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

http://www.jimscoffeebeans.com
Jump to Forum: