Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Have a friend going to Panama next week so....
gene
my question:

He and his girlfriend are going to the highlands while they are there.
Told them to go to the Chirqui region.

They are going to buy me 5# of green beans.

Where , what, how?

With my limited knowledge told them to go to highest elevation and start asking for Gesha beans.

Do they need to start stopping at small farms or go to a mill?

Would appreciate comments.

Thanks,
gene

BoldJava
Yes, have him visit the Ruiz family farms or the Kotowa farms in the Boquete region of Panama. I am not sure he will be able to lay his hands on any Gesha.

Look up Peterson's farms before he goes for Gesha to see if they will even move any greens. I believe they have a farm on the East side of the mountains as well as one on the west side. There is no road across. Save you budd some leg time by querying in advance.

http://www.hacien...m/Maps.htm

B|Java
Edited by seedlings on 05/07/2009 9:49 AM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

http://sidewalkmystic.com
gene
Even if they come back with some caturra or bourbon varieties from Panama, as long as it is high grown, I'll be happy.

I'll just console myself with some Rwanda COE from your stash at GCBC. Have heard good things about this lady Epiphanie and her hard work.

Thanks BJ.

gene

seedlings
gene wrote:
Even if they come back with some caturra or bourbon varieties from Panama, as long as it is high grown, I'll be happy.

I'm trying to convince my coworker/roasting buddy to buy a coffee farm in Costa Rica. He found one for $150,000USD with mature trees, high elevation, etc. He's retiring next month and has always wanted to move to Mexico or Costa Rica.

If your buddy can score any beans from almighty Panama, have him sell his clothes and carry ons, then fill them with coffee beans!

...um... don't tell Homeland Security or the FAA that I suggested that...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

troposcuba
old post I know, but thought I would bring it back to add my personal experience here. My wife and I were in Panama last month. We were there mainly to go scuba diving and surfing. We own and ride horses here at home in Tucson. She is the best tour guide one could hope for. In her infinite wisdom, we spent several days in Boquette. One of the days we went looking for some of the higher elevation coffee plantations in the area to take a tour. It couldn't have turned out better. We were lost (about 100 yards from our intended destination by the way) and a Caucasian guy riding a horse happened upon us. I asked him if he knew where the coffee plantation that we were looking for was. He said yes, smiled and pointed at the place that was right in front of us. We followed him over and inquired about taking some horses out for a ride/tour of the plantation. Some arrangements were made (almost didn't happen) and we ended up taking a 3 hour ride through the local area/plantation. This was the Janson family plantation. Turns out it was Gesha (Geisha) only. He mentioned that it was very expensive coffee. Turns out he was one of the brothers that owned/operated the whole deal. We got an amazing tour of the plantation which was spread throughout the local mountains near a few small lakes. We also got a private tour of the whole operation from harvest to finished roast. They would not sell or give me any green beans (this made me very sad), but we did buy some already roasted. I did come away with a single ripe cherry. I am currently trying (and really hoping with all my might) to sprout it so that I can grow my own plant. I know the conditions here in Tucson will not give the proper conditions for the plant, but still hoping to get something useable from it down the line. Unfortunately I did not realize what I had before me at the time. I would have filled my pockets on the ride had I realized. For what it is worth, the coffee was very good that we had there as well as what we bought and brought home. I sure wish I could have come away with a bunch of green beans to roast myself, but such is life. So keep your fingers crossed for my success growing my own. I promise to keep you all updated on the progress if I actually manage to get it to sprout and transplant successfully.

Jump to Forum: