Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 4:31 AM
Awesome I sent an email to AllenB and JackH The email to JackH failed. I had screenshots of my settings.

allenb
08/18/2019 3:37 AM
Jack and I are enlisting help from our PHP site admin to try and solve as soon as possible. Thanks for letting us know.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 2:53 AM
I got another PM last night......... No email notice.

snwcmpr
08/17/2019 7:36 AM
Email address correct. I constantly check junk folder. I turned off, then on, the setting to receive notice.

JackH
08/17/2019 7:10 AM
Also check that there are no spam filters set for email.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,099
Newest Member: kla65
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Origins of caturra.
John Despres
All righty!

We have different sources giving us different information about the origin of caturra.

Let's discuss it here instead of the shouts...

OK, then. "Uncommon Grounds" gives me a date of the 1950's and I cannot find another date reference using the index. I find it on page 296, footnote 3 but nowhere else.

Curly's discovery gives us an ambiguous reference to the last century, but when was that published? Last century could include the 1950's.

This is fun, so let's see what more we can research and post it here.

Thanks for the input, all!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
curly
This is from the footnote from the paragraph in the article that I cited - note the publication date. I'm still looking. I do have a contact in Brazil who might point me in the right direction.

23. Gordon Wrigley, 1988 Coffee (New York: Longman Scientific and Technical) p. 403. Moreover, the very traits that make it so attractive economically--its high-yielding and precocious bearing characteristics--caturra tends to overbear and die back easily, an associated trait that leads to plantation replacement every 12 to 15 years. In a region like northern Latin America, where coffee lands often are found associated with broken terrain, easily erodible soils, and high rainfall, frequent replacement of the coffee plants can exacerbate soil erosion.
Ubi cartias et amor, Deus ibi est

Clifford
Home Coffee Roasting, Kenneth Davids p 86
"Newer selected varieties include Mundo Novo (1920), Caturra (1935), and Catuai. Caturra has been planted widely in Latin America because of it's compact growth and high yield. Caturra typically produces a rather simple staightforward cup, Catuai often produces a more complex and complete cup than more traditional varieties like Typica."
Edited by Clifford on 04/28/2009 4:42 AM
May the Force be with your cup

curly
This article from Atlas Coffee also points to 1930's
http://www.atlasc...camara.pdf
look under natural mutations
Curly
Edited by curly on 04/28/2009 4:45 AM
Ubi cartias et amor, Deus ibi est

Clifford
A quotation from The Coffee Glossary as Sweet Maria's

Caturra is an Arabica cultivar discovered as a natural mutant of Bourbon in Brazil in 1937. It has a good yield potential, but was not ideal for Brazil growing conditions (due to lack of hardness and too much fruit in 3-4 production cycles). However, it flourished in Colombia and Central America and had good cup characteristics, possibly displaying citrus qualities. At higher altitudes quality increases, but production decreases, and it sometimes requires extensive care and fertilization.
May the Force be with your cup

Koffee Kosmo
I read the same glossary description from the Sweet Maria's site
Stating that it was discovered in Brazil in 1937

This prompted me to ask if 1950s was to late

If anyone knows the folks at Sweet Maria's it would be prudent to ask them the source material they used as reference

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
John Despres
I have no problems doing that. However, the odd ting is "Uncommon Grounds" getting it wrong...

Since we have two or three sources pointing to any time but the 1950's, I'm suspect of the book at this moment.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

BoldJava
John Despres wrote:

Things that make you go hmmmm.

John

Caturra varietal coffee from Brazil?

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

http://sidewalkmystic.com
John Despres
Yeppir. It seems my poll source may have had the discovery date incorrect...

Caturra makes me go hmmmm, as well. Mutant coffee, Hmmmm.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
"Caturra was first discovered in Brazil where it has been cultivated commercially since 1937, first in Minas Gerais, Brazil and later throughout Latin America."

Per Boot:
http://www.bootco...geisha.pdf

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
OK, then. It seems my source, Mark Prendergast's "Uncommon Grounds - The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World" is

WRONG!

Grrrr :@
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: