Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
allenb

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: sheridansparks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe embarrassment...
John Despres
A couple months ago I posted this: http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...post_10606

I should follow my own advice, dangnabbit!

A couple weeks ago I had a heater issue with my Gene Cafe which was promptly replaced by Tim at Fresh Beans http://www.freshbeansinc.com/_/Store-...ducts.html. Tim's a great guy to work with and I put him through quite a bit...

Y'see, my roaster had been cycling on and off at roughly 445 degrees. I had my high set at 476F and this shouldn't be happening. I spoke with Tim about it a few times over the course of a few calls and we decided to see if replacing the burned out heater would solve the problem. The low temp cycling had started before the heater burned out - It was a new heater, replaced as part of another issue about 3-4 months ago, so Tim sent me another one.

I installed the new heater and the problem continued cycling early. Tim thought maybe the chip had gone bad and was prepared to send me a new one. During one discussion, he suggested I run a roast without the chaff collector and see if the problem continued.

It did not continue... I decided to open the chaff collector up and guess what? It was all plugged up. Part of my routine had ben to vacuum it out before each roast but for some reason I hadn't been doing that much lately. The plugged collector was retaining too much heat and the sensor was trying to keep the roaster cool enough to continue running safely.

I cleaned it and the roaster is working just fine again. The collector was plugged on the inside of the outer screen. There was a nice layer of what I'll call "micro chaff", chaff that can make its way though the inner screen to the outer.

I need to keep it clean, that's all there is to it...

Another interesting thing I learned about the chaff collector is it's positive heat retention properties. Roasting with it off seemed to allow a lot more heat to escape during the roast. The temperature climb was very slow, so slow I reached first crack at ~18 minutes. After cleaning, first came at my normal 10-12 minutes.

Lesson learned.

This was rather frustrating for both Tim and I. In fact, he was about to send an e-mail to the Korea folk to see what the deal may be.

I gotta keep that baby clean.

Now Tim seems to have a thing against dry process beans (he roasts for espresso and primarily, I take it, wet processed beans) and suggested I try the large chaff collector, so I've ordered one and will give it a test run. More on that later...

I gotta go clean something.

John
Edited by John Despres on 04/04/2009 9:32 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Clifford
Thanks for in info. This is increasing my desire and pace to acquire a Gene
May the Force be with your cup

John Despres

Clifford wrote:
Thanks for in info. This is increasing my desire and pace to acquire a Gene

Yeah, you need one!ThumbsUp

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

BoldJava
John, You will like the large chaff collector. Very easy to vent out the window if you would like to move smoke/aroma out of an area.

RE: Cleaning chaff filter. About every 3 months <?>, I disassemble the filter, soak it in Simple Green and water over night, and scrub with an old tooth brush (I clean the tumbler as well).

I find a old bean that begs to be thrown out, run a burn through roast, taking to the dark side, toss that roast, and I am good to go.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_a...leaner.php

Any hardware store. Originally created to clean shop roasters.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 04/04/2009 10:52 AM
http://sidewalkmystic.com
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

John Despres
Thanks, B|Java. I'll get some Simple Green. I've seen that note before, now that I think about it...

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Clifford
BJ Thanks for the idea. I will go out and buy the Simple Green this month even if I can't afford the Gene yet
May the Force be with your cup

BoldJava
I have my own Gene Cafe embarrassment. Mine involves the rubber bumper on the chaff sweeper. About a year ago, mine disintegrated unbeknownst to me. I had a rubberish taste to a brew and I asked on another board what it might be.

Short of it? Yep, I had ground it up the bumper and decided to mimic some robusta coffee. Mercy. It was then I remembered Eddie's advice, have some spares.

Today, when I went to roast, there was 1/2 the rubber bumper, gone. Yikes! I have the women's cupping group on Friday. It took me an hour to find the spares. I had filed them with all my extra pairs of glasses. Must have made sense at the time but made my afternoon interesting.

Thanks for thinking ahead for me Eddie. B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

John Despres
Uh, oh. But Dave, you found the spare replacements, but did you find the missing half? Which batch is it in?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

BoldJava
That's the 24$ question. Gone but not located! Yet.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

smatty1
Nice!

I'm about 150 roasts in with my GC. About how long do those little rubber thingys last?
Edited by smatty1 on 04/27/2009 8:17 AM

www.shop.com/johnbytell
BoldJava
First one came apart without my knowledge until I heard the chaff wiper banging -- maybe two years into ownership (4-8 roasts per week, all back to back with E stops). I sent Tim a $5 check and he sent me about 8 of them. I am on number 3 bumper as I complete my 3rd pleased year with the Gene.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

tcrpe
Let me add mine as a first post:

I’ve thoroughly cleaned the machine, chaff collector, etc. Quite a bit of debris had collected between the two screens in the chaff collector. The blower fan impeller had collected a bunch of debris, too. I used compressed air to clean that out. The first blow was quite effective. The second blow must have spun that blower up to 20,000 rpm because it flew apart in my hand. So, I replaced the blower with an identical fan from Mouser Electronics. Haha, lesson learned, and I should have known better.

If you're going to do this, restrain the impeller with your thumb.

Barrie
Would one of you expert cleaners care to post a detailed description of your cleaning routine - taking things apart, soaking them, blowing chaff dust, cat hairs, and less-easily identifiable "stuff" out of odd places, putting it all together again, frequency? It might keep the less-experienced of us from screwing up our machines. I am getting too old for new adverse experiences, especially if they are avoidable. Shock
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

tcrpe
I'd experienced the temperature stall phenomenon.

OK, so after over spinning, destroying, and replacing my gunked up blower, the temperature stalling continued. Ordered a new heater box, and spoke to Tim about the problem. Tim included a heater relay board. Replaced both, up and running at 100% now.

And, as Tim noted, the relay can be heard while the machine is running, I hadn't noticed that before.

Thanks, Tim, your help was invaluable.

Things to note:

I'd roasted about 200 batches with this Gene.

The inside of the outer screen need regular cleaning. I think, perhaps, different beans reduce different chaffing profiles. One of my beans appears to have produced a lot of is "micro chaff" that collected there.

The blower impeller will also collect micro chaff.

simagic
I POSTED THIS AWHILE AGO.IT MIGHT BE HELPFUL........
I know this original post is almost a year old, but I was reading it just now and 'related" to it..............THIS (BELOW) SOLVED MY PROBLEM. MAYBE IT'S YOUR PROBLEM AS WELL????
Well, here was the issue. it would climb to "past" the first crack ( lets just say 465). Then I would watch it drop.. 462-458-455-452-445-440. So. first Tim sent me a heater, then some sensors. To no avail. Then I sent back the unit to him. He fixed it. It worked great on his work bench, but when it got here it didn't...same problem. Then he sent me a rebuilt unit that 'again" worked fine on his work bench, but again when it got here didn't work. Sooooooo, have a diagnostic mind, I started to think,,think,,think. What I came up with was, that when I sent back the unit and he returned it.((.AND )) when he sent me the rebuilt unit , there was one thing that stood out in my mind. What it was,, .that I never sent my "drum" with the return and his rebuilt unit didn't come with the drum. I used my original drum. Soooooo, the units works fine for him, but when i use them they don't work.
Ah ha. the drum was the only difference between his shop and my home. Sooooo, I looked and looked at the drum..Again, Ah ha. the little rings that hold the swing arm on had loosened. The swing arm was no longer close enough to the screen to move the chaff. They WERE NOT sweeping away the chaff. The chaff was clogging the exhaust port and 'I guess" telling the unit to cool. ...and it was............ Sooooo, I pulled off the swing arm and put on some VERY thin wire and pulled the swing arm as tight as i could without restricting it's movement. A little trial and error to get it tight enough to sweep, but not too tight to stop sweeping. I also pressed (with my finger), from the outside in to try to get as much of the screen as close to the sweeping arm as possible. It's a little tricky with the wires because when you "twist" the little wires (holding the swing arm on), it creates a little "tail" where the twist is. If that tail is too long it will interfere with the action. But now after heater/ sensor replacements, it's working great. Dennis

Jump to Forum: