Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,477
Newest Member: judislotpopuler
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in Your Roaster This Week?
mkaderabek
Nicaragua Matagalpa Pacamara PB
Nicaragua, Finca El Limoncillo, Maragogipe
Mexico, Chiapas, Organic
And perhaps a pot of Java Estate for good measure.

I do like the central and South American coffees.

Clifford
Mexico, Chiapas, Organic
CHAD's Ethopian
PNG

May the Force be with your cup

John Despres
Nothing. Still waiting on the heating element for my Gene Cafe.

ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
cfsheridan
Two samples today

Mexico Natural Terruno Nayarita (B|Java and I have sampled roasted lots from two different roasters)

Sumatra Tangse Rhino--one of the better Sumatras I bought last year. Hopefully this one measures up.
No Quarter Coffee Blog

[url=www.noquartercoffee.com]No Quarter Coffee[/url]

Jimbo
Sumatra Takengon Classic
Ethiopia Organic Dry-Process Birbissa

The Sumatra is resting now ... can't wait to give it a try!

Koffee Kosmo
Just literally finished 3 roasts
An espresso machine importer distributor wants to try my roasts and see the roaster
So I roasted some batches of
PNG Wahgi AA
Kenya Ritti AA
Sumatra Blue Lintong

Thats all for now but I will roast a nice South American bean to include as part of the demo/tasting next week

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Koffee Kosmo

Jimbo wrote:
Sumatra Takengon Classic
Ethiopia Organic Dry-Process Birbissa

The Sumatra is resting now ... can't wait to give it a try!

I have a little amount left of my
Sumatra Mandehling Takengon organic
Its one of the best beans I have tasted
Got to try and get some more

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
smatty1
Guatemala Oriente Dry Process!
Been waiting for awhile to roast this one!

www.shop.com/johnbytell
John Despres
Ooooh, that Oriente D-P is a stunning cup of coffee! Fruity, very full body.

Take it to FC - FC+ and you'll be delighted! And if you're not, send the rest to me and I'll be delighted. One of us should be, anyway.
:trink25:

I think I'll roast some of that as well...
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

smatty1

John Despres wrote:

Take it to FC - FC+ and you'll be delighted! And if you're not, send the rest to me and I'll be delighted. One of us should be, anyway.

I was gonna use RPjd for this one:)
Would you stick with that or do you recommend a modification to the profile?

www.shop.com/johnbytell
BoldJava
Nothing is in the roaster. Zip, nada, nichts.

Taxes to do and trying to catch up on work. Daughters coming home on Maundy Thursday so won't be roasting next week either. The Gene gets a rest.

Look out Alterra's, be seeing you this week:

http://alterracoffeepro.com/
http://sidewalkmystic.com
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

John Despres

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

Hmmmm.... I don't remember what the profile is, but if you want to do a warm up, of 3 or 5 minutes at 300, go straight to 476F from there. It's graded SHB, so pour on the heat. Drop maybe 30 seconds into first to 455F to end of first and then try dropping to 445F to end of roast. I think the beans will gain enough momentum to continue right on to second by about 16:30-17:00 if you're not careful. First might come about 12:30. End the roast about 3 minutes after 1st ends.

Wait a couple days, enjoy!

Let us kno how it goes.

Have fun, John.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
WHOA! DAVE!!!

Wuddayagnnado?

Commercial coffee for a couple weeks?:|

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

John Despres wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

Hmmmm.... I don't remember what the profile is, but if you want to do a warm up, of 3 or 5 minutes at 300, go straight to 476F from there. It's graded SHB, so pour on the heat. Drop maybe 30 seconds into first to 455F to end of first and then try dropping to 445F to end of roast. I think the beans will gain enough momentum to continue right on to second by about 16:30-17:00 if you're not careful. First might come about 12:30. End the roast about 3 minutes after 1st ends.

Let us kno how it goes.

Have fun, John.

RPjd is 300 for 5/ 476 til 1st crack/ 450 a min in to C1/ Drum cool for 2 mins and external cool.
Do you think that slight mod will make a difference or should I stick with RPjd?:)

www.shop.com/johnbytell
smatty1

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

John Despres wrote:

Let us kno how it goes.

Have fun, John.

RPjd is 300 for 5/ 476 til 1st crack/ 450 a min in to C1/ Drum cool for 2 mins and external cool.
Do you think that slight mod will make a difference or should I stick with RPjd?:)

I stuck with the original RP from last time:
C1 was about 20 secs later.
Emergency stopped and pulled for external cool @ 13.8 (counting down from 30) and it was into C2:(.....not exactly what I wanted. Way darker than I wanted them. Not oily yet, but they definately have a sheen and will be quite oily in a couple of days. Here is a pic. Not too happy about these, but they may be awesome in 2 days so we'll see....
My mistake was not having the cooling stuff set up in time. As I was getting it ready it was sneaking into C2. It tricked me. I should have been paying closer attention.
smatty1 attached the following image:
godp.jpg

Edited by smatty1 on 04/05/2009 4:17 PM

www.shop.com/johnbytell
John Despres
That's not a bad looking roast. A slight sheen is OK, I think. I do believe it will be a very good cup, though.

I'll roast some of the same bean this evening and see what I get.

I'm fortunate as I have my roastery all set up with nothing to arrange except getting beans, logs out and so on. Once I start the heat, I'm able to focus fully on the roast.

I thought second would come about 16:30 or so. Our roasters are fairly close, but I'm guessing yours may heat up a bit faster than mine. One clue second is close is smoke from the chaff collector.

I have a caveat, though. I have a new heating element and it heats up faster than before, so I'm sort of starting over with it. I'll keep you posted.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

smatty1

That's not a bad looking roast. A slight sheen is OK, I think. I do believe it will be a very good cup, though.

It *is* technically FC+ I guess...I just usually avoid 2nd crack and it snuck up so fast...a little frustrating, especially on a bean that I was sooo excited to roast and wanted to get "right"....I'm sure it wont suck:) ....I'm tempted to roast it again ....and stop before it gets to C2. If only I had nothing to do but sit around and roast and drink coffee......

www.shop.com/johnbytell
smatty1

smatty1 wrote:

It *is* technically FC+ I guess...I just usually avoid 2nd crack and it snuck up so fast...a little frustrating, especially on a bean that I was sooo excited to roast and wanted to get "right"....I'm sure it wont suck:) ....I'm tempted to roast it again ....and stop before it gets to C2. If only I had nothing to do but sit around and roast and drink coffee......

Results:
http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...post_14272
Edited by smatty1 on 04/07/2009 6:50 AM

www.shop.com/johnbytell
BoldJava

John Despres wrote:
WHOA! DAVE!!!

Wuddayagnnado?

Commercial coffee for a couple weeks?:|

John

I grabbed some Sumatran Gayo (stellar), a Sulawesi, and an espresso (I have had from the Silvia before and it is excellent) from a local roaster, Alterra. They have an excellent cupping team.

http://alterracoffeepro.com

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 04/07/2009 7:46 AM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

smatty1
Indian Monsooned Malabar. I think this roast was right on the money! Hope it tastes as good.

www.shop.com/johnbytell
Jump to Forum: