Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
CUPPING 101
ginny
let's rock and roll all you cuppers out ther!

ginnyShock

bvwelch
Thanks for setting this thread up Ginny!

What I'm looking for is -- what's a simple setup that I can do at home? I've seen some photos that make me think that all I need is a kettle of water, just off the boil, and a bunch of cups...

1) pour hot water into each cup
2) dump grounds into each cup
3) wait awhile???
4) stir???
5) scoop coffee with spoon and slurp?

By now you should be getting a feel of how dumb I am about the subject.
Thanks! -bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/20/2009 7:55 AM

John Despres
Take a listen to this. Liam Kenna from Stumptown Coffee and Lynn Rosetta Casper cup a few coffees on her program, The Splendid Table.

As much (read very little) as I've cupped, this was still very helpful and informative.

http://splendidta...01_24.html

If you want to listen on line, you need Real Audio. Or you can download it as an mp3 file. The cupping begins at 12:30.

It's kind of fun, too.

John

ThumbsUp
Edited by John Despres on 02/20/2009 8:30 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
BoldJava
We do not cup SCAA style. We cup 'em as we drinks 'em. Drop me a PM with your email if you would like our cupping template.

Our approach:
^ Always gather a crew - learn together, more palates are better, always. Make it fun.
^ I use 24g coffee, usually rested 4-5 days, typically at full city
^ Make note of dry fragrance
^ 12 oz of water, 30 seconds off boil
^ Press pot
^ 3 oz of water, let it bloom 20 seconds. Stir it down.
^ Make note of wet aroma.
^ Add remaining water.
^ Press at 3:30 more

Pour into thin lip china. Let it sit a bit. Pay attention as it cools. Make sure you have tasted the top 1/3, middle third, and bottom 1/3.

^ Make noise slurping. Cover your palate for full sensory experience.
^ Don't think.
^ Make notes, regardless of finding - - ie, caraway, stewed tomatoes, rock-bottom, fresh pines, honey, whatever your senses offers you.

We evaluate but don't score these elements (we award a total score - see below):
^ Fragrance
^ Aroma
^ Brightness/acidity
^ Flavor/depth
^ Body/mouthfeel
^ Finish/aftertaste
^ Give it a grade. Here is our standard scoring (see the cupping template and change it to your system). Your scoring approach isn't so critical as is your consistency in applying the score.

Score                         Description
95-100                    Sell the house and buy it
90-94                      Cafe Nirvana
89                            Exceptional
88                            Outstanding
87                            Excellent
86                            Very Good
85                            Good
80-84                      Coffee
75-79                     Started to post the notes and gave up
74 and below          Forget it

We usually consider offering a coffee at 86 and above. Note: I always have cream and sugar on the table. Why this heresy? Because many of our coffee recipients drink it with milk and or sugar. We need to know how the coffee handles it.

I am attending a cupping class for roasters at the Coffee Fest tomorrow. I will share any take aways.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 02/20/2009 8:52 AM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

http://sidewalkmystic.com
bvwelch
To followup with BJ - how many folks per press pot? How many china cups per press pot?
-bill

BoldJava
Bill,

I press 3 ounces per cupper. Tonite, 5 of us were cupping and I used 32 g coffee to 16 oz of spring water.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

cfsheridan
I use 8g of coffee in 5.5 oz cups. I grind each sample in my Zass hand grinder, test each for dry fragrance, and then pour in the water.

Note wet aroma before the break, and then start breaking the crust at 4 minutes.
Note aroma of the break--combine notes and score with pre-break wet aroma.

Full scoring:

Dry Fragrance (5)
Wet Aroma/Break (5)
Body/Mouthfeel (10)
Acidity/Brightness (10)
Flavor (10)
Finish (10)

Total up, add 50 for a 100-point scale.

Rest of the scoring performed using the standard slurping seen in traditional cupping. I usually swallow, unless I'm cupping >5 samples.

I come back to the cup until I get a feel for the cup hot and as it cools. Usually cup the samples twice with the spoon, and then have a vacuum pot or press pot to see how it drinks in my normal preparation methods. I'll correct the final score up to a point based on the vacuum pot/press pot.

My cupping glasses are the Duralex Picardie tumblers. Had them for years before I started cupping, and luck favored me, as they are perfect. My secondary cups I use for public cuppings are some similar models I picked up from Ikea.

I usually approve samples when they're above 87.5, leaning to 88, depending on the origin. I've cupped with others, but it's tough to keep a regular gathering round my place. I agree with Dave, cupping with others speeds the learning curve tremendously.

bvwelch
Followup with Chad - Please correct anything below, thank you!

So your method in more detail -- if you had 4 cuppers, you would grind all 32 grams at once?

Grinding fairly coarse, I assume?

After putting the dry grounds into each cup, you smell the dry grounds in each cup.

then pour the water-- do you immediately stir the grounds to wet them completely, or do you just try and get the dry grounds fairly wet simply by the method of pouring the water over them?

Regardless of the above, some grounds will float during the 4 minutes, and form the crust, right?

Breaking the crust means trying to sink the 'crust' by stirring with the spoon, right? And smelling all the while.

I presume some grounds won't sink, and that is when you skim them off and discard with spoon?

Thanks for your patience!
-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/20/2009 2:43 PM

cfsheridan
bvwelch wrote:
Followup with Chad - Please correct anything below, thank you!

So your method in more detail -- if you had 4 cuppers, you would grind all 32 grams at once?

Yes--for groups I'll prepare samples for each person. Two people, we may share the cup. For group cuppings, I use a large grinder like a Malkonig or a Dittig. I generally keep the lot to 3 samples for large groups. That's consistent with what I've seen at most weekly roaster cuppings like Counter Culture runs at their roastery or training centers.

After putting the dry grounds into each cup, you smell the dry grounds in each cup.

then pour the water-- do you immediately stir the grounds to wet them completely, or do you just try and get the dry grounds fairly wet simply by the method of pouring the water over them?

Regardless of the above, some grounds will float during the 4 minutes, and form the crust, right?

Breaking the crust means trying to sink the 'crust' by stirring with the spoon, right? And smelling all the while.

I presume some grounds won't sink, and that is when you skim them off and discard with spoon?

Thanks for your patience!
-bill

Pour the water carefully to fully wet the grounds. Not very difficult with only 8g of coffee. Breaking the crust includes pushing the grounds down. There will be grounds/scum left over, which are removed using a single or pair of spoons.

Truthfully, I find that the standard/traditional cupping method is great for finding defects, though it can be more difficult to pull out all the nuances in the cup. The Wisconsin crowd has a good method, which I incorporate once a sample passes muster in the traditional cupping. I cannot recall buying bags without having tested the sample in a vacuum or press pot.

bvwelch
John Despres wrote:
Take a listen to this. Liam Kenna from Stumptown Coffee and Lynn Rosetta Casper cup a few coffees on her program, The Splendid Table.

http://splendidta...01_24.html

Listening to this makes more sense now, having read the other descriptions above.
Thanks guys!
-bill

Clifford
Bold Java wrote:

I press 3 ounces per cupper. Tonite, 5 of us were cupping and I used 32 g coffee to 16 oz of spring water.

I have been using 30g per 16 oz. cup for myself. I will have to adjust my portion uo 2 gr

Thanks

Cliff
May the Force be with your cup

BoldJava
Cliff, it all becomes a matter of taste, grind, time, etc. Work with whatever tastes good to you and works well.

One of the guys I cup with uses 22g of coffee to 14 oz of water but he grinds much smaller than I do and holds it a total of 3:15. Lots of variables with which to work.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

BoldJava
ChadS and I took a beginning cupper's course. The 2nd exercise introduced a superb Bufcafe Rwanda coffee, at 3 distinct roast levels: C+, FC, and FC+/light Vienna?

Good exercise that I would like to practice more. Cupped them side-by-side and the nuances and different cups were dramatically seen right away.

I will do this with the La Florida (once I get all the orders shipped) and post back with the cupping notes. I think this is something I need to do more often because I almost always go for FC. From now on, 3 roast levels will be my beginning step when I have a 5# amount.

The problem with samples from importers is that you get one shot, 230 grams, and you have to make a choice. I invariably move to a full city and the exercise showed the limits of that effort.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 02/25/2009 5:33 AM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Clifford
I added the extra 2 gr per 16 oz cup Very Nice MMMMMM GOOD

:smileycoffee:
Edited by Clifford on 02/25/2009 5:36 AM
May the Force be with your cup

Jump to Forum: