renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Advice Wanted: Gene Caffe or Hottop B or P
plexus
Hi there. i just started roasting and i love it! I got a FreshRoast 8 as part of a membership to a green bean seller. it was a good deal. anyway i can totally see the limitations of the FreshRoast 8. Its good for a quick small batch but it doesnt allow for an accurate control of roast. So i wanted to get a better roaster for better control and larger batches.

I read a lot about the Gene Caffe and the Hottop 8828B and 8828P. I am willing to spend the money on a Hottop if its really going to worth it. My questions are:

1. Gene Caffe or Hottop? Assuming I have the money to spend, is a Hottop really worth the extra money compared to a Gene Caffe?

2. Which Hottop, B or P? or both? let me explain: I can either buy a B or P but I can also get a B with the P control panel for the same price as a P alone. but should I bother? is a B the better bet?

Now i understand about the pros and cons of these:

Gene Caffe: faster, good design, cooling sucks, you really need to emergency stop and manually dump the beans to get fast cooling, no memory, noisy so its hard to hear cracking, good visability of beans, bean mass temp isnt accurately reflected in display

Hottop B: full manual control of everything, 3 non-adjustable memories, pain to clean, smoke leaks, filters are a pain and expensive, give you good manual control while roasting, bean mass temp is more closely tied to display temp

Hottop P: programmable with 10 memories, profiles need to be set up in advance, can only adjust temp of segments which doesnt allow very good during-roast control

I am just not sure why one would get a P over a B outside of the "sexy display" factor. seems like a B and P are different for different types of users not that one is better than the other. so would it be worth paying the P price and getting the "free" B control panel? or...

maybe a Gene Caffe is good enough?

I have searched the forums here and read the review of the Gene Caffe and some things about the Hottop. But I havent really ready anything pertaining to someone who is ready to buy either or and which way to go.

Your help is appreciated!

seedlings
Huge welcome to the forums, plexus! I'm not any expert on un-homemade roasting methods. Never fear, there are many, many who are familiar!

My only question is: why not use a more home-made roaster, and spend the other $500 on green coffee?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

plexus
Good question. The reason is because I'd rather not muck around with a pieced together roasting solution. i want to be able to get a good, controllable roast and ideally be able to roast around 1/2lb at a time. i'd like repeatable results and to also get into the nuances of roasting when the mood strikes me. i also want to be able to roast indoors with the use of a range hood. i dont mind paying for that extra bit of quality and control.

ginny
Hottop B: full manual control of everything, 3 non-adjustable memories, pain to clean, smoke leaks, filters are a pain and expensive, give you good manual control while roasting, bean mass temp is more closely tied to display temp

great question/s:

I have picked the above for comment because I have had the original Hot Top and 2 B models. I have also used the P model.

For my money I think the B is better then the P because you do have control over your roast. More control then the P model. Having had to buy filters (the same as the analog model) for 5 years plus I do not see that as a reason not to buy. You can make your own or clean the darn things by soaking etc.

Smoke leaks??? Not for me. Remember you will only hear problems first when you are looking at something to buy!!

I have recently sold my Gene Cafe. I loved the machine and would clearly recommend it as a great home roaster.

I have found the Hot Top to be, for me, the best small batch roaster.

You have the same control over the Gene Cafe as you do over the Hot Top B model. There are differences...

I have searched the forums here and read the review of the Gene Caffe and some things about the Hottop. But I havent really ready anything pertaining to someone who is ready to buy either or and which way to go.

home roasting is like buying a horse, a motorcycle or a car...

you really won't know until you make the plunge! buy it, ride it, enjoy it and maybe trade it in later.

I really wish I could give you the answer. There is really no wrong way to go
with either machine.

Thanks for joining us Plexus and keep us posted on what you decide to buy and how your first roasts go!!

ginny

ps they are all a pain in the ass to clean!!

ShockGrin

plexus
thanks for the reply. thats what i was thinking: that the B is ultimately going to give you more control. so can you, say, run a roast at each of 3 different degrees of roast, store these in the 3 profile memories and then use these as a basis for roasting with the added tweeks in real time?

it just seems more important to have control over temp and time during a roast if you really want to ensure you are getting the roast you intend.

the other thing is that later, you can buy a P control panel for $200 and your total outlay is the same as buying a P alone but you get both B and P control panels - the best of both worlds.

plexus
I just tried a lighter roast with my Fresh Roast 8+. not the easiest thing to get a lighter roast with because its so hot and fast and the beans keep roasting a bit while cooling. thats one thing i want to mitigate with a better roaster: being able to do a lighter roast more consistently and predictably. but the Fresh Roast is a cool little roaster for small immediate batches. and the price was right: free*

* I got it at the Merchants of Green Coffee in toronto. you pay a $372 CAD membership price and that gets you the roaster, 30lbs of green beans which you can come in and get at any time in any quantity, and free access for 2 people in 5 classes they run until May called "coffee school". this is a really great deal actually.

plexus
question: if i order a hottop should i order extra rear filters? extra top filters?

ginny
Plexus:

My very first roaster was an original Fresh Roast. I have often said it was the
Christmas Gift From Hell...

I went from that to a Rosto, hated it, chaff flew all over the place.

Then I bought my Hot Top. Loved it and continue with a newer model now.
I also use an RK Drum BBQ setup. For the most part my personal roasting is
on my Hot Top.

I roast just enough for a few days, share some of with friends to allow them to sample the best coffee. Roasting aa small amount also allows me to try several at any given time.

Lots of luck. Thanks for jumping right in with a really loaded query!!

ginny

Grin
Shock my personal favorite smiley...
Edited by ginny on 02/02/2009 12:36 PM

BoldJava
Plex,

I think you have summed up the Gene quite well. I am a 2+ year owner as several here are. I am unable to advise you which is better as I have no time on the Hottop, as does the Other Chad. I am sure both units are good choices.

I can only advise that I would buy the Gene again in a second. I have let go my FreshRoast8, the IRoast2, and the Behmor. What do I like about the Gene?

^ Bean visibility
^ Full control of the profile
^ Simple plug and play use
^ Continuous back-to-back roasts (manufacturer does not recommend) with E stop
^ Quality of the roast (judged by comparative cupping with Behmor)
^ Completely ventible out the window (or piped into range hood) with large chaff filter and dryer venting hose - virtually no residual roasting aroma in the house

Problematic areas:
^ Difficult to hear cracks, at times (bean dependent). I can hear them 80% of the time and I have a hearing loss
^ Beans are best cooled externally (I use a shop vac, collander suspended in 5 gallon bucket)

I will buy a new heater/thermostat when I smoke this one. In the meantime, I will keep clipping out 4-5 pounds per week.

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

http://sidewalkmystic.com
plexus
thanks for the reply B|Java... here's the thing. i can get a new Hottop 8828B for $290US more than a Gene Caffe. and if you include the larger ventable chaff collector on the Gene, the Hottop is only $220US more.

Thats very compelling to me! in canadian dollars from the best priced canadian reseller i can find, the difference in price is $330CAD or $270US. so its $50US cheaper for me to get the hottop mail order.

Im comparing the price of getting the Gene locally in toronto (which is the cheapest way compared to US mail order) vs getting the Hottop via US mail order (which is cheaper than buying it locally). This includes shipping, taxes, duty and exchange rates.
Edited by plexus on 02/02/2009 3:38 PM

plexus
here is what i have been able to gather so far from reading numerous reviews and posts of the Gene Caffe and the Hottop B:

for the extra $270CAD ($220US) over the Gene you get:

- way better cooling (faster)
- more accurate temp reading
- quieter unit which makes it easier to hear cracking
- 3 memories for profiles
- better more local customer service
- easier parts availability
- better built with metal parts
- easier ability to put in a bean mass temp sensor
- slightly higher roast capacity
- ability to easily modify to a P programmable for $200US (and still retain the B control panel for better manual control)
- true 100% drum roasting

the Gene has over the Hottop:
- easier to clean
- slightly less smoke (maybe)
- easier to control the smoke with the larger chaff collector exhaust hose
Edited by plexus on 02/03/2009 1:49 AM

BoldJava
I think Other Chad is putting in a bean mass temp sensor in his Hottop.

I think your comparison is very well done. Lots better than when actual owners get into a bladder contest as they tend to over at CG, "My Dad can beat up your Dad." <grins>

Add to the Gene's advantages, "no filters to recurringly buy." Sounds like another Hottop is about to find its rightful home.

Good on you. B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 02/03/2009 1:48 AM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

plexus
... getting there. it is looking like the B is the better value of the 3 (gene caffe, hottop 8828B and P). my girlfriend doesnt understand why i want to get something like the hottop. she think my freshroast should be good enough. when i list off my list above, she just rolls her eyes. once she gets a regular 1/2lb bag of beans i think she'll change her mind! Grin

ginny
HEY PLEXUS:

the other thing about the HOT TOP is it is really built!!

ginGrin

plexus
thanks for all your help... i just put an order in for an 8828B and some rear and top filters through the manufacturer. it should arrive in about a week or so! thanks for your help!

Koffee Kosmo
GDay Plexus

In Australia a Hot Top costs from $1100 to $1600 They are electrically different as they built for 240v @ 50 cycles
Thats why I built my own roaster

I think that the hot top is as close as you will get to a professional sample roaster. In fact some boutique roasters use them for sample roasting

However they will only roast up to 300 grams at a time

Follow this link for a review of a roast to roast comparison
Gene Cafe CBR-101 vs Hottop KN-8828D/B/P

http://www.coffee...ne-hottop/

KK
Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 02/03/2009 11:37 AM
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
plexus
Gday mate. in fact i came across that review in my research and it contributed to my decision to get the Hottop 8828B. thanks !

Koffee Kosmo
Well done Plexus

It is the best off the shelf home roaster available

Keep us in the loop as to your progress

Also check out the downloads section for roast profiles on this machine and or record keeping tools for your roasts

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
BoldJava
Koffee Kosmo wrote:
Follow this link for a review of a roast to roast comparison
Gene Cafe CBR-101 vs Hottop KN-8828D/B/P

http://www.coffee...ne-hottop/

KK

That is a superb comparative article. The only thing I believe they missed was dialing in the profiles on the Gene. They skipped right over it. I used a ton of profiles before I settled on mine and profiling makes all the difference in the cup.

I am sure that you are going to enjoy the Hottop. Look forward to your 1st impressions.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

gene
Bold Java: You said this in post #247:
That is a superb comparative article. The only thing I believe they missed was dialing in the profiles on the Gene. They skipped right over it. I used a ton of profiles before I settled on mine and profiling makes all the difference in the cup

Would appreciate it if you(actually everyone) would post your favorite profile using GC.
Thanks!

Jump to Forum: