Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,195
Newest Member: Casey
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
This is interesting.
ginny
Believe it or not, scientists have actually worked out a formula for brewing coffee that has determined the optimal grounds to use to maximize flavor and minimize bitterness. This scientifically determined formula is called The Gold Cup Standard. For more information about the cold cup standard you can visit one of the experts at:

http://www.herita...Coffee.htm

I find this interesting but as a coffee roaster I find it wrong!
The single most important factor in your drinking enjoyment is personal taste!!

hmmmm.......

ginnyShockGrinGrin

John Despres
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I agree, Ginny, personal taste rules everything. My best friend travels a lot and loves 7-11 coffee. He can get it anywhere and it's always exactly the same. And I hate it. To him, it's the best there is. Every morning, he walks to the corner and buys his cup.

I grind and brew to the John's gold cup standard.

Published in 1983, this formula is catering to average tastes. Shoot, this thing came out before Starbucks made their big splash. Specialty coffee hadn't made much of an inroad yet. I'm left wondering what coffee they were really using to arrive at the averages they published.

Perhaps this formula works with Maxwell House, or Chock full o' Nuts, but I'm certain it doesn't work with most of my roasts. And because I'm the kind of person I am, I ain't gonna try it with my coffee, either.

Lastly, the article is called "Philosophically Perfect Cup of Coffee". Philosophy, as I understand the meaning of life and the relative happiness of individuals seeking wisdom, has little to do with how I like my coffee.

It is an interesting read, to be sure. Don't pass it up because I give three thumbs down. It's only 26 years old, so there's something of value there somewhere.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
seedlings
I read that article. Fortunately for me, I couldn't understand it.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Jump to Forum: