Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,245
Newest Member: infinitystone
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
"Drum Roaster With A View" Project
Brewster
Hi all,

This is my first post after lurking and learning for about 6 months. I started with a Fresh Roast, but like many others I found the small amounts restricting and wanted something that could roast a full pound at a time. I built a drum for the barbeque but I found that I missed being able to see the coffee while roasting. The solution for me was to build a dedicated drum roaster that would provide a view of the beans during the roast.

I just finished a roaster using a Coleman lantern globe in the drum that I wanted to share. I searched the database and found lots of questions about whether or not it would work, but I couldn't find a finished product. If there is one, my apologies as I never saw it.

The basic unit started as a $45 portable grill at Lowe's, putting out 12,000 BTU's. The glass window and frame came from a $10 outdoor halogen flood light.
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CoffeeRoaster001.jpg
The drum is 4"X12" and sized to fit a Coleman lantern globe that I found at Wally World. I used #8 stainless mesh for the other two thirds of the drum, which would allow the glass to expand without restriction. The whole drum is enclosed in aluminum bar and end pieces to keep it all together.
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/Copy2ofCoffeeRoaster003.jpg

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/Copy2ofCoffeeRoaster004.jpg

Continued...

Brewster
Slots were cut in the cast aluminum grill top to allow for a rotissere rod. I used a 19 RPM motor bought on Ebay.
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster016.jpg
Since the inside of the grill was rather dark with the lid closed, I added two appliance bulbs, rated at 40 watts each, in porcelain sockets.
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/Copy2ofCoffeeRoaster005.jpg

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/Copy2ofCoffeeRoaster010.jpg

These bulbs light the inside nicely, providing a good view of the beans with the lid closed.
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/Copy2ofCoffeeRoaster011.jpg

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster022.jpg

Continued...

Brewster
A thermocouple was inserted into the end of the base, at approximately the level of the beans. I attached the thermometer case to the support legs of the grill so it would not get misplaced. Any concerns I had about having enough heat to roast were relieved when I started it in 52 degree weather and was able to reach 500 degrees.
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster018.jpg

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster025.jpg

The opening of the drum is held closed with two stainless springs, and easily allows opening with and dumping with gloves on.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCopyofCoffeeRoaster006.jpg

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster014.jpg

I have roasted four pounds now, and I no longer fear that the glass drum will break any minute. I am getting nice, even roasts and have the added benefit that I don't have to give up my steak and chops grill every time I want to roast.

First crack...
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster029.jpg

One pound of Brazil Bourbon, taken to Vienna...
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CopyofCoffeeRoaster038.jpg

ginny
Brewster:

love the avatar!!

You have created one awesome roaster here. Love the table top drum design, combo drum
is a dream and I can even see the beans!!!

WOW Brewter!!

ginny

s:2s:2s:2s:2s:2s:2s:2

seedlings
s:1 Sweeeeeeeet roaster! Love the compactness! Love the view!

s:1 You're inspiring the next generation!

s:1 Also looks like the drum is quite full, and the roast is pretty even.

Maybe you could design an all-electric model using multiple halogen bulbs when your company scales up for a FTO on Nasdaq!

Very well done.
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/28/2008 2:38 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dja
now if the smoke could be delt with, you would have a nice little compact table top drum roaster that would work in the kitchen,
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Dan
Very nice solution for a genuine problem. You've just raised the bar!

http://www.intactamerica.org
dja
now if you hang a fancy name on it, charge $300.00, you may just have the first poor mans Behmor.

how fast does your drum turn?

seedlings
2nd post says 19RPM, dja...

Now, where's waldo? B)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Brewster
Thank you everyone for the kind replies!

Chad, the drum looks fuller than it is. The motor runs clockwise which pushes the beans up in the front of the viewing window. Didn't design it that way, but it worked out nicely. Also, I filled the drum to 1/3 full, and the beans weighed in at 21 ounces, or 595 grams. I used the 1/3 full as an arbitrary max load. The pictures show 16 ounces green, which is the amount I was shooting for to easily roast at one time.

I also felt that the beans needed to move side to side across the glass and screen to provide the most even roast. I mounted two aluminum stirring vanes at the same angle on opposite sides which is a thinnly veiled take on the Gene Cafe design. On each revolution, one vane pushes beans to the right and the other pushes them to the left. It actually works to even out the roast.

The 19 RPM motor was the one I had on hand. It works fine, but if I had needed to buy another, I think something in the 30 RPM range would be about perfect. More bean action, don't ya know.

bvwelch
Very nice setup!

A few dumb questions-- where to find the stainless mesh, and what's a good price?

Any thoughts to scale up towards 5 pounds?

How do you clean the glass?

thanks,

-bill

Brewster
Bill, I found the stainless mesh at SmallParts.com. They have many different mesh sizes, but I didn't price compare as I thought the price reasonable, not to mention I didn't have to buy a large, minimum quantity.

The glass globe comes out after removing 4 screws (end cap) and 4 1/8" rivets (two each on the stirring vanes). The 1/8" rivets are very easy to drill out, and I think screws/nuts inside the small diameter drum would be awkward to remove. I believe someone on this group recommended non-abrasive orange hand cleaner to clean the glass.

The whole design of this roaster started with sourcing a Pyrex glass globe that was easily replaced. If you wanted to scale this up, obviously an appropriate globe would need to be found. What are you thinking, about 7" in diameter? I can't say that I have seen one that large, but if you could find one, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Some of the larger Coleman lantern globes are approaching 6" diameter.

After dumping the beans into the bucket cooler, I return the drum to the roaster and close the lid. The idea is that it allows the glass to cool at the same rate as the rest of the grill. It may not be necessary, but I have not cracked the glass yet either. If you wanted, you could even do consecutive roasts.

Brewster
I forgot to add that the grill as purchased was set up to use portable propane bottles as a fuel source. Might be useful for someone that does not already own a 20# tank. If you do have a larger tank, you will have to purchase an adapter hose. The regulator is part of the grill.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CoffeeRoaster043.jpg

Also, this particular grill truly is portable. The leg units fold and the roaster can be stored more easily. I can see this being a particular advantage for someone that does not have the space for a full-sized grill.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CoffeeRoaster042.jpg

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CoffeeRoaster044.jpg

Kaffee Bitte
I have to say that you have made one hell of a roaster there! I had toyed around with cutting a hole in my grill lid and then placing temp resistant glass in it so I could watch the beans. I rather lack the know how for that an just went on with my roasting by smell, temp and sound.

You certainly went about it in the right way. I am sure we will be seeing others make attempts like this soon.

Congrats!
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
EddieDove
Brewster,

That is one awesome roaster! s:1s:2s:1s:2s:1s:2
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
farmroast
Sweet!!! s:2
Very nicely done. Really like the portability.
Ed
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

dja
the lens that you used for the window, what brand of light was it.
and did it already have mounting screws or did you have to dril the frame of it so that you could mount it.

dja
now I wonder, instead of a regular oven light bulb, if you were to mount the halogen bulb from the housing that so gladdly gave its front lens to a roaster in need would give you lots more light, plus the added heat that halogens make so much of.
which just might be that little extra a person might need on frosty morning of cool afternoon in the backyard.
anyway just a thought!

Brewster
dja wrote:
the lens that you used for the window, what brand of light was it.
and did it already have mounting screws or did you have to dril the frame of it so that you could mount it.

The light was made by Utilitech, and was found in the lighting dept. at Lowe's. Available in white or bronze. $10 This was so much cheaper that the glass alone at McMaster Carr! And the frame was just an added bonus. The frame was mounted to the light by two screws from the back. After cutting the hole in the lid, I used the same screws to mount. No sealer was used; mounted it as is.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CoffeeRoaster050.jpg

dja wrote:
now I wonder, instead of a regular oven light bulb, if you were to mount the halogen bulb from the housing that so gladdly gave its front lens to a roaster in need would give you lots more light, plus the added heat that halogens make so much of.
which just might be that little extra a person might need on frosty morning of cool afternoon in the backyard.
anyway just a thought!

Great minds must think alike! I originally planned on doing exactly that, but changed my mind after seeing the appliance bulbs. (I wanted to mount one appiance bulb in the center, but it would have been really close to the flame. Obviously a bad idea!) Since my original post, I mounted the flood as you described, with the addition of a piece of stainless mesh for a guard, but could not see the beans because of the horrible glare. I ended up removing it and installing a piece of aluminum to cover the hole. I should have taken pictures of the install and glare, but forgot. (The extra heat of the halogen would have been a great addition!) I thought there might be too much heat to mount it on the lid.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/wboydston/CoffeeRoaster048.jpg

The two appliance bulbs provide plenty of light, and result in no glare.
Wendell

If the shoe fits, wear it.
If the shoe doesn't fit, you've the wrong shoe!

dja
now a couple of reflectors, and lamp holders from say some 1000 watters and I bet you could roast from the heat of the bulbs alone.
mount them if the top back corner of the lid with some insulation between them and the cover.
you sure wouldn't have to worry about light!

Jump to Forum: