Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:24 AM
Grin snwcmpr

snwcmpr
09/04/2019 4:47 PM
Welcome Shoron

shoron
09/02/2019 8:01 AM
I am shoron !! Just to find out some information I am here :)

Andyr
09/02/2019 6:09 AM
Ah, never mind, thanks! I figured it out.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,129
Newest Member: GreenBeans
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite Green Coffee Vendors?
boar_d_laze
The green bean sources we use most often are Burman's, Coffee Buying Club, Klatch, and Sweet Maria's. Each has its charms.

Klatch is a prerennial for us, even though they're a bit expensive, because their selections are so consistently good, and because I can almost always find the right greens to put together the all Centrals blend we drink most often.

We use several other sources as well. After reading through this thread, I thought Happy Mug Coffee Co., looked interesting and bookmarked their site. Jim's too.

BDL
Edited by boar_d_laze on 08/15/2013 6:33 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

Dan
Thanks for those suppliers, BDL. I went to register at GCBC and after jumping through 8 CAPTCHAS I got pissed off and gave up. I'm not upset with you, just them. I'll buy my greens from less paranoid and more respectful suppliers. The only reason I'm venting here is that there isn't a contact page on their website. The lack of transparency is irksome, too.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

http://www.intactamerica.org
snwcmpr
I have gotten 2 from Happy Mug, Ethiopian Harrar and Uganda Bugisu.
Both excellent.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JackH
I use Happy Mug too. Never any problems and great selection.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
+1 on Happy Mug! My last two 5 lbr's of papua new guinea were remarkable and prices are typically well below the rest. I've been getting some excellent coffee's selling in the low $4 range.

Their write ups are usually not the most helpful but I've grown weary of the typical over-glorified blather descriptions given in most of the sources we've grown to love around here and in most forums.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
allenb wrote:

I've grown weary of the typical over-glorified blather descriptions given in most of the sources we've grown to love around here and in most forums.

Allen

So true Allen. I wish I could taste some of the things listed in the descriptions. I guess my palate is not that good.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

snwcmpr
Ditto, I wish I could taste as well as I think I can roast.RoflmaoRoflmaoRoflmao

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

ginny
over-glorified blather descriptions

I think we all need to consider what we get from each provider/seller before making a blanket statement that most talk too much and do not give the beans they offer.

Most bean sellers do not go out and source their beans and are looking to cash in on the home roasting market and I say poop on them...

I only buy from companies that go to the farms and buy my beans...

if you are suggesting that Sweet MARIA, Coffee Project and other sources are lame or not being honest in their respective knowledge of the beans they sell you are mistaken...

ginny

coffeesnob
I have tried several vendors over the last several years but I always come back to Sweet Marias. I rather enjoy the descriptions and I really like the cupping scores Their scores are consistent enough that I can tell if it's a coffee I will like just by the scores.

Dan
Coffeesnob, Congrats on your first post and welcome to HRO! I'm with you. I trust Sweet Marias reviews more than others. If they have a flaw, it is trying too hard to describe the coffee, but I'd rather that happen than the opposite. Too many suppliers just say inane comments like, "full body and winey."

Dan
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

allenb
I have a huge appreciation for what Sweet Marias and others do in finding the top tier coffees and for the minute detail about their origin and prep and I really don't mind paying a premium for a coffee that is truly superior to the average "good grade" being sold by Royal Coffee where a lot of the smaller retailers get their beans.

Where I have an issue and I'll be honest, it's not a huge issue at all, is the cupping taste analysis where some seemingly superhuman cuppers are detecting huge numbers of fruit, nut, multiple chocolate and/or candy plus a ream of other food tastes, all from one varietal. Yes, I've tasted various fruits, chocolates, floral notes from time to time but never a whole list of these together from one coffee and I've never met anyone, no matter how great the coffee and no matter how much of a super-taster they were to be able to discern as many as I see described in even some of the average coffees described.

I'm not sure if it's dishonesty or just doing what sales people do in "puffing up" their write ups to be able to have a more competitive edge but there's a disconnect between what's commonly described in their cupping notes and what competent home roasters are tasting in their cups.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Dan
Perhaps you are right to some extent, Allen, it's human nature to "put your best foot forward," but some people do have a knack, and perhaps the genetics, for tasting. Many years ago I took a university wine tasting class and it was fabulous. I learned how to taste. Really taste. At the end of the semester I could identify flavors and aromas I didn't think were possible. And, I learned that I had a knack for recalling flavors. For instance, in a blind tasting I mentioned that the wine reminded me of one I had a few years ago, a Moulin à Vent from Beaujolais. It turned out I was right. Surprised the heck out of me! During that class I met a broker for Burgundy wines. He was an American who, like me, grew up in the Midwest, but now lived in France. The professor gave him two, unlabeled Burgundies and he proceeded to not only identify the year, but the vineyards, too!

OK, back on topic. What helped me cup coffees was taking that wine tasting class. I highly recommend it. They aren't that difficult to find and aren't expensive. Then, maybe your cuppings will be more florid, too.

coffeeroastersclub
......... Most bean sellers do not go out and source their beans and are looking to cash in on the home roasting market and I say poop on them...

ginny

Ginny, Now that would be a cupping note of Kopi Luwak, right?

Roflmao

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
allenb
You're very fortunate to have had that experience with the wine tasting class. It's a real eye opener when a person is able to awaken one of their senses to it's full potential.

When I worked at the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver Co during the 90's I had the great fortune of being invited on a regular basis to wine and double malt beverage tastings and got to know the maître d' of the Palace Arms restaurant pretty well. He kept me up to speed while he was training and testing for his master sommelier certification and coached me in picking out this and that varietal characteristic.

While I'm not in the supertaster category, I'm able to easily pick out very nuanced flavor notes in beverages and feel I can discern most of the flavors described by our green coffee vendors in their taste analysis write ups.

The long list of flavor characteristics listed in many of our vendors write ups for one individual varietal may be possible to pick up by a micro-small sliver of the population but could in no way be tasted by a majority of us.

I think the dis-service when these unrealistic flavor analysis are written is that many home roasters can feel they are never capable of roasting their coffee to anywhere near it's potential since they vary rarely find the long list of flavors come out in their cupping tests.

I guess there's actually a potentially positive outcome of this in that it may provide an incentive to never accept our quality of roasts no matter how good we perceive them to be.

Allen

Dan
I understand what you are saying, Allen, and I'd rather err on the side of striving for excellent, too, than cater to the lowest common denominator. But then, as my wine-tasting prof said (who is a sought-out judge for wine tasting competitions around the world), "In the end, it's just a matter of if the wine tastes good to you."

Dan

coffeeroastersclub
You bring up some good points, Allen. I think a way to address this whole cupping issue is to have 2 different description areas for each bean; one being a more general description of the tastes (as in "Citrusy with chocolate undertones), and another more specific description as in (Experienced cuppers may also notice Lemon Blossums, dark unsweetened chocolate, ripe red grapes, and Sandlewood incense).

That way a person with average tasting abilities, or the inexperienced cupper, will not feel intimidated and be turned off by the what can appear to be over the top descriptors many bean selling companies use.

Len
Edited by ginny on 12/06/2015 6:58 PM
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
snwcmpr
My cupping results are usually something like this.
"That's really good, not like the stuff we drank yesterday."
Of course we said that yesterday, too.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Vigor
Lol. I can relate
Edited by ginny on 12/06/2015 6:58 PM

Hieronymus Mouse
Hi guys,

Well, I come from a tea background, mostly Chinese tea. Since teas can cost well over $30,000USD per pound and can be exquisite at 50 years of age -- tea, that is; I'm somewhat older -- it's taken very seriously. Tasting considers storage methods, intrinsic tea taste, tastes associated with the age of the tea, the leaf varietal, age of tree, soil, elevation of the trees, tastes associated with the vessel in which it is brewed, how it's brewed, and so on. There are issues of where in the mouth, throat, and nose the tea is working its miracles, and the order, intensity, and quality of these. The list of descriptors is miles long. After years, I can taste a lot in tea. New to coffee, I'm happy to get the basics.

In my coffee log, I try to push myself a little by thinking through what I am actually tasting. What works best is just noticing what's there when it comes to consciousness. For example, chocolate evaded me until one day, there it was. Certain herbal and earthy tastes, likewise. The secret is to drink lots and lots of coffee, I think.

Finally, as with tea, I like to switch among various coffees with different taste profiles, sort of a rotation, to keep the flavors fresh in my mind and mouth, so I don't become jaded, so to speak. This works with scotch whisky, too, but what would I know?

Michael

Hieronymus Mouse
Hi again,
Let me contextualize that last post of mine into relevance by saying that I've gotten most of my beans from Sweet Marias. I've also gotten some from Victrola in Seattle, WA. Further, I see that NYC vendors and cafes will sell their coffees green at around half of the roast price. My Gene caffee and I are new and in learning mode, so I'm mostly concentrating on the differences in taste profiles associated with roast levels, regions, and processing styles. My plan is to identify favorate coffee regions and then start buying in larger batches rather than a pound of several. Leaves me freer to experiment and play. So much to learn, so little time. Sweet Marias and Coffee Review put out awsomely detailed descriptions, most of which fly right over my head. I don't get a quarter of it. So be it.
Michael

Jump to Forum: