JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite Green Coffee Vendors?
Koffee Kosmo
BigB wrote
I roasted it so fast (about 4 to 5 minutes total) that is was so sour/bitter/bad that I thought I had been poisoned.

You have not roasted long enough
When roasting , think... lemons, berries, caramel, chocolate, charcoal... in that order of roast depth.

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Big B
Koffee Kosmo wrote:
When roasting , think... lemons, berries, caramel, chocolate, charcoal... in that order of roast depth.

Think... green persimmons, :yuck: raw olives, lemons, berries, caramel, etc!

(I hit the persimmon stage)

Thanks, KK... really helps make some sense of different roast levels affects on the cup.
It's only as good as you make it...

seedlings
Hey, I've actually tasted a real persimmon!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
There's a wonderful Holiday salad Lea makes every year with persimmons. Yum!
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Big B
Let me be clear... BIG difference between a green persimmon :yuck: and a ripe persimmon ;).

The pucker factor drops away once the fruit is ripe... but bite into a green one once & you will not soon forget! (kinda like the difference between under roasted coffee & a proper roast cycle).
It's only as good as you make it...

smatty1
I thought it was time to revisit this. Now in my 3rd year of roasting and sampling what the various vendors have to offer, I've settled in to my favorites. I'm always curious what new may have popped up and/or what favs others settle in with on this journey.
My favs now are:
1)Burman. Been very impressed with the quality, price and shipping.
2)Sweet Maria's. A little pricey(and 3000 miles to ship to me), but no one breaks it down like them:) and you can rest assured you're getting the finest beans fit for the snobbiest among us:)
3)Coffeebeancoral. Good selection. I find it to be hit or miss.
4)Freshcoffeebeans. Good selection. Also hit or miss.

*Note. I like to buy in 1lb lots unless I come across one that blows me away. That way I've always got something new/different to drink. I also like to buy close to me and not burn resources shipping across the globe too much.

Input?

www.shop.com/johnbytell
jlyon10
That is exactly what I sell 1lb lots, small variety but unique
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

http://www.jimscoffeebeans.com
randytsuch
Like a previous poster, I buy a lot from http://www.greenc...ngclub.com

Different people are always bringing different coffees in, I let myself buy too much and have had to stop buying new beans until I work down my stash some.

As he said, you usually have to buy more then 1 lb at a time, I usually buy 5 lbs, but it depends on the bean.

There is an advantage to buying 5 or 10 lbs, instead of 1. With one lb, I would get about 3 batches, which isn't really enough to develope a good profile for it. With 5 lbs, you can play with different roast levels, and different roast profiles, and find the one you like best for that bean.

Randy
Edited by ginny on 10/02/2010 5:17 AM

allenb
randytsuch wrote:

There is an advantage to buying 5 or 10 lbs, instead of 1. With one lb, I would get about 3 batches, which isn't really enough to develope a good profile for it. With 5 lbs, you can play with different roast levels, and different roast profiles, and find the one you like best for that bean.

Randy

It really is a shame that it takes several batches to "dial in" a new coffee but I've rarely found a coffee that I could feel I'd gotten the best out of it until 5 or 6 roasts. You're right, with one pound, you're just getting to know the coffee's roasting traits and it's gone.

Of course, that's with a small batch (4-8 oz) roaster. Anything needing a minimum of 1lb+ you need more than 5 lbs.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

stoneguard
I have gotten some samplers from Roastmasters.com So far the ones I have tried have been excellent.
Edited by ginny on 10/02/2010 5:13 AM

Unta
allenb wrote:It really is a shame that it takes several batches to "dial in" a new coffee
if we keep on this profile section and people post successful profiles, hopefully we can shorten the educated guessing game even more..:)
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

http://www.untacoffee.com
smatty1
stoneguard wrote:
I have gotten some samplers from Roastmasters.com So far the ones I have tried have been excellent.

That's a great lookin site! Great selection and detailed info/cupping notes and roast recommendations! I'll definitely try them out. Thanks!
Edited by ginny on 10/02/2010 5:12 AM

www.shop.com/johnbytell
Franco
I've bought from Sweet Maria's (my first), Coffee Bean Corral (maybe once or twice) and Green Coffee (some) and Burman (often, but not lately) (all these folks are good sources, no complaints) but lately I've been buying from 1st Line Equipment. Mainly because they stock Malabar Gold (which not all do) and their shipping time is faster than Burman. They have an okay selection of other beans, and they are great with customer support - not that I've needed that with bean purchases, but for any equipment issue they are the best.
Expobar Brewtus; Mazzer Mini; Gene Cafe. Preferred blend: Malabar Gold.

rgrosz78
randytsuch wrote:
Like a previous poster, I buy a lot from http://www.greenc...ngclub.com

Thumbs up for GCBC - I purchase 95% of my greens there. They have great cuppers, and high quality beans. I have yet to be disappointed by ANY of my purchases.

randytsuch wrote:There is an advantage to buying 5 or 10 lbs, instead of 1. With one lb, I would get about 3 batches, which isn't really enough to develope a good profile for it. With 5 lbs, you can play with different roast levels, and different roast profiles, and find the one you like best for that bean.

Randy

I definitely agree - rarely buy less than 5 pounds any more. My typical roast size is 12 ounces.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

www.softwarepolish.com
smatty1
Did freshcoffeebeans.com go out of business?? Everything is sold out?

www.shop.com/johnbytell
APBT
Hello! I'm new here and I had a quick question...
Has anyone tried Coffeemaria.com? Their prices are pretty low and I even called to confirm the prices and I talked to Hans and he seemed on the up and up.

Third Crack
I can't help much here since I haven't tried them but since you've had no responses yet I'll make a couple comments (then someone with more experience can correct me!).
Coffee from some suppliers like Sweet Marias is individually selected after cupping often from small farms or auction lots. Much individual attention is given to the selection process and information is provided for each bean. The better they do their job the better the beans available and generally this pushes the pricing up. It seems to me the vendor you are talking about deals more in the generic coffee lots from the various locations. Thats not to say its not a good value, it's just a different approach. You can just try them and be the judge.
Bob

ginny
This update of forums and threads will be fun...

I buy all of my personal beans from Sweet Marias and have done so for 7 plus years.

why? because I feel I get some of the best beans in the world. I can wait from year to year and buy a favorite and never be disappointed with the quality of the beans.

I buy larger amounts from members here who take the time to offer there greens.

I buy a bag-o-beans myself from Royal to use for my small coffee roasting biz since I can offer a better price most of the time.

For those just starting who want to try some of the best beans around I do not think
Sweet Maria can be beat!

Clearly it takes a bit to find the sweet spots in beans for any coffee roaster/drinker but it is so personal and unique from person to person and bean to bean why not start with the best and enjoy even a few mistakes in roasting.

ginny

:P

JETROASTER
...And there is the "Farm-gate" aspect to the Sweet Marias purchase. A very responsible purchase, with a great outcome. -Scott

randytsuch
ginny wrote:
I buy a bag-o-beans myself from Royal to use for my small coffee roasting biz since I can offer a better price most of the time.

ginny

:P

Why not coffeeshrub?
http://www.coffee...

It's the wholesale branch of SM.

Randy

Jump to Forum: