Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
12/14/2019 4:07 AM
I read somewhere that higher elevations have faster roast time and require somewhat lower temperatures. air is thin and has less Oxygen

allenb
12/14/2019 12:44 AM
Yes, 1st off, you must use only Panama Esmeralda Geisha beans and be sure to only roast on Saturdays. Actually, this isn't completely true. Please post in all about roasters forum. Thx!

wjohndon4566
12/13/2019 10:36 AM
I’m at 9,000 feet elevation, is there any special adjustments that need to be made to roast using an SR 540 at this elevation?

snwcmpr
12/07/2019 9:29 AM
roar

snwcmpr
11/27/2019 11:44 AM
greenman

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,295
Newest Member: obezyana1
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Jared Brunette - 5.00
Daniel Boozer - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite Green Coffee Vendors?
HoldTheOnions
Ok, I did it, will post some youtubes after I drink it.

ChicagoJohn
HoldTheOnions wrote:

Ok, I did it, will post some youtubes after I drink it.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out. Hope you decided to hold the onions, though.
So many beans; so little time....

coffeebeanmenu
Hi,

I was going to mention Sweet Maria's, but it seems like they are well covered here.

I write articles for a coffee bean web site and during my research, I've found a couple of good green beans:

Beans from Guatemala...
The folks at Smokin' Beans Coffee Co. have:
Guatemala Antigua Green Unroasted
Acidity: bright
Notes: Hints of fruits (lemons and raisins), dark chocolate, cinnamon, butter
Tree: Bourbon

Beans from Costa Rica
From Morning Hills Coffee
Costa Rica La Rosa Green Unroasted coffee beans
Acidity: medium
Grown at: Canton of Naranjo within the province of Alajuela Costa Rica
Notes: hints of orange, chocolate and rich caramel

Of course, it depends on how dark you roast before some of the notes are lost. I've also found that cold brewing techniques can lower the acidity a little.

Regards,
sjmyst

http://www.thecoffeebeanmenu.com
Tony_C
Went back to GenX for some Monsooned Malabar. Last batch was awesome.
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

Tony_C
And low and behold, it was delivered this morning! Talk about speedy delivery!
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

BeanBurner
I've been very happy with the variety and quality of the fresh beans I get from Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders. Been buying from them since I found them in 2011. They're located in Anaheim, in southern California, but have a nice web site and home-roaster section. They are happy to sell to home-roasters and will ship green or roasted beans just about anywhere.
1/2 lb. SC/TO backyard home-roaster.

MPSAN
re: Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders
I do not see where they give shipping rates on their web page. Is it there somewhere? Have you compared them to Happy Mug?
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

MPSAN
OH, I now see where we can calculate shipping. It seems high when you get up to 8 LBS or more.

BeanBurner
re: Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders

I have not compared them to Happy Mug. Fortunately, for me at least, Bodhi Leaf is within a reasonable driving distance from my home, so I just drive over and pick up whatever I need. As a result, I've not needed to look at their shipping costs. Besides, it's fun to meet the folks at the warehouse and talk about coffee.

Thanks for the Happy Mug suggestion. I'll have to see what they've got.

MPSAN
Great. I looked and Bodhi has some Ethiopian for $8.53 a LB. It must be great for that price. :-)

ginny
sounds a bit expensive to me...

ginny

greenman

snwcmpr
+1 to expensive, so has to be REALLY good.
Grin
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

BeanBurner
Disclaimer: I am an amateur home roaster. I roast for what I like. Your individual experiences may/will vary. In fact, the varied experiences and opinions shared here are among the main reasons I joined this forum, after lurking for over 2 years. I've learned a great deal from a number of you, and for that I am profoundly grateful. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to give a little back.

If the $8.53 Ethiopia was Bodhi's only offering, I'd agree that it's pricey. Some may feel it worth the price, while others may not. I have not yet tried this bean, but may do so in the future. I'm sure that you are aware that Bodhi has other offerings, and prices that some may find more attractive. They currently list 18 different Ethiopian beans, ranging in price from $4.06 up to the previously mentioned $8.53. I have personally purchased, roasted and enjoyed these Ethiopians: Lekempte ($4.28), Yirgacheffe Kochere Gr. 1 ($6.04), and Shaye Ayra ($7.33). Each was distinctive, and I enjoyed the differences. Among the Ethiopians, my personal preference was for the Shaye Ayra. To me, it was worth the higher asking price. To my taste, it clearly surpassed the other Ethiopians I tried, yet even the much lower priced Lekempte was quite enjoyable.

I admit to not having a refined palate, but I'm working on it. :-) I even signed up for one of the coffee tasting/cupping training classes that Bodhi is offering next month in hopes of educating my taste buds. I'm still experimenting with beans and roast profiles. Looking for that elusive "perfect" roast. That's what makes it fun for me. So far I've tried about 45 different bean varieties and done over 850 roasts in my SC/TO roaster since 2011. There's just so much coffee and so little time.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

MPSAN
BeanBurner I agree with all you have said. I just like what I like and want to try more. The "high" price may well be worth it, but it is hard to tell. I may try some of their less expensive Beans. It could be hard to decide on which Sumatra, Kenya, and Ethiopian.

BeanBurner
MPSAN, you sound like a fellow traveler on the journey to find the perfect cup. I find it hard to choose what to try next, as well. I've done Sumatra, Kenya, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, Columbia, Papua New Guinea, and lately I've been really enjoying a nice, well rounded and full bodied Rwanda. There are still so many yet to try. I'm really enjoying the ride.

MPSAN
I agree, but I drink a 20 oz cup in the morning and like a smooth medium roast that I do in my FreshRoast 500. I roasted my own when I started paying about $20 plus a pound and it was a bit too dark. So about $7 +/- is not too bad at all and it is roasted just the way I like it.

MPSAN
BeanBurner, I am ready to order again, but I think I will go to Happy Mug again. I love the descriptions at Happy Mug telling you about the bean and how light or dark to roast it, and not just where it is from. Take a look if you get a chance and see what I mean. The ONLY thing I do not like is their slow web site. Grin

MPSAN
WOW...Happy Mug seems to be out of a lot! Not too much there as of today.

ginny
if you want the BEST review, overview and all around total information Sweet Maria is the place to go...

if you think Happy Mug is great, try Sweet Maria.

I buy from Happy Mug and they are really good.

but, no one gives you more information than Sweet Maria, period.

ginny

roar
Edited by ginny on 07/10/2016 11:50 PM

MPSAN
But SM is much more expensive. Is the coffee better than Happy Mug? I do like the way Happy Mug tells you stuff like if he sees some small stones, etc. I do, however, see what you mean about SM's comments...lots of info!
Edited by MPSAN on 07/05/2016 9:44 AM

Jump to Forum: