Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 01/26/2020 3:25 PM
Cool. Then we can get back to having FUN here. roar

NetriX
OfflineAdmin
· 01/22/2020 5:40 AM
morning Updated shoutbox. Work in progress.

SaraJohnson
· 01/17/2020 5:50 AM
Looking for a good coffee shop in Maumee, Ohio. Any recommendations?

snwcmpr
· 01/10/2020 10:18 AM
Maybe post in the Behmor section. Behmor users can see it. The SHOUTBOX post will be hidden in a few days.

jqaman
· 01/09/2020 8:51 AM
The flap on the back of my Behmor 1600 has come loose at one end. Its 15 years old. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix it? thanks...john

Users Online
Guests Online: 9

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,370
Newest Member: Wade
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Next step up?
acidwashed
Hey all,
I've been learning tons of great stuff from the forums and you have all helped me more than you'd know as this is my first post after quite a while of lurking.

I'm looking for a way to roast more than a pound at a time on a home made machine that runs on electricity. Started the journey on a freshroast 8 and moved up to a 1lb bread maker with a heat gun. I've enjoyed spreading my love of fresh coffee to friends but have started to create a demand that is hard to keep up with by doing 1lb batches. I understand that I could get 2 or 3 bread makers as there are tons of them all over the place that are not being used but was hoping that someone here has made the move up to doing 2 or more pounds at a time and would be able to point me in the right direction. I don't have a ton of time or skill for pure fabrication at this point of the year (thanks to the ski season) but would really appreciate any advice that you could give.
Thanks.
Mike

David
That's a great question, Mike.

It may well be THE question, the Holy Grail of homeroasting.

A. Has Large Capacity
B. Runs on regular 110volt household electricity
C. Is Inexpensive in terms of money or time for fabrication

It may be like the Project Triangle: "Fast, Good, or Cheap -- Pick Two"

It is a great challenge. The one kilogram roaster than Alchemist and I are building has the first two virtues:

It has a large capacity, and
It runs on 110v due to lots of insulation and other efficiencies, BUT
It sure ain't cheap in term of time and money. It's way over budget in both categories.

You pose a very good discussion question.
Perhaps folks will chime in with suggestions in this thread.
David attached the following image:
fast-good-cheap[1125].jpg

Edited by David on 11/21/2008 8:11 AM

seedlings
Mike, I understand your desire. The only way I can help is to continue finding ways that it won't work as I'm growing exceedingly talented in that regard.

I want the same thing. Take a look at this:
http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com/jav...s_warranty

I am neither endorsing, nor recommending you purchase this item, but it seems that we SHOULD be able to make one. David's Terrible Torture Triangle is very much in play, though.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
Meanwhile, you can at least get 1 1/2 lbs from your bread machine, assuming it is the "tall" type. If possible, measure two places-- near the bottom which represents the overall "bean mass", and near the top, to avoid "scorching" the beans when you're near the end of the roast, and the beans have expanded to nearly fill the machine.

Check out CHAD's bread machine videos!

-bill

MarkBart
Ahem, I regularly roast 2 pound batches in my bread machine and have roasted up tp 1 Kilogram of greens. (See Restrictor Plate Roaster in the roaster contest thread) I use the cheap Northern Tools Welbilt 1600W heat gun and a Breadman Pro 2 pound bread machine and have roast times of 17 minutes to 2nd crack.

MarkBart
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

acidwashed
Looks like I probably just need to jump up to a 2 lb. bread maker and that might hold me over for a while. I have a 1 lb. mister loaf right now that is worth way more as a roaster than it ever was as a bread maker!

I do have a friend though with an endless supply of stainless and the tools to work with it..maybe in the spring I'll talk to him about building that holy grail machine and see what we can come up with. Hopefully something not too expensive...

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

seedlings
[tear forms]...you had me at "endless supply..." [/wipes tear]

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
I suppose the holy grail for home roasters is five pounds on a 20A circuit. If you could do it, would you like the result?

For my half-kilo drum roaster I ran a dedicated 20A circuit. I had enough challenges, didn't need the circuit breaker tripper while roasting.

I suspect that if my drum roaster had a larger drum and all other things being the same, it could roast a kilo or more.

Dan
Edited by Dan on 11/24/2008 9:02 AM

http://www.intactamerica.org
David

acidwashed wrote:
Looks like I probably just need to jump up to a 2 lb. bread maker and that might hold me over for a while.

If you are up for it, you can replace the loaf pan of either machine with a different vessel. This calls for stripping down the outsides of the breadmachine to hold, say, a 3 quart saucepan (or my personal favorite -- a red teakettle). The deeper the pan the better as the beans fend to fly out (as you already know).
t's not hard.

If it is wide enough you can put a Turbo Oven on top and rest your heat gun hand. Grin

Each of those option is described in detail here at homeroasters.org
David attached the following image:
3BMroasters[1130].jpg

bvwelch
David,

I've got a TO setup similar to yours, but I don't use it much for two reasons -- 1) I worry that it will jump off the table-- it is only supported by the loaf-pan to motor junction.

2) My stirrer is really too much-- slings those beans around. I do plan on trying a version of my popper roast controller, and implement a sort of "dough cycle" for the motor. I like just enough agitation to prevent scorching. I tossed the original electronics so I don't have the original dough cycle anymore.

Any thoughts?

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 11/24/2008 12:06 PM

Jump to Forum: