Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
jbrux4

Total Members: 6,236
Newest Member: dale67
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Nuova Simonelli Premier Project
seedlings
Many of you know that I've been toying around with upgraditis from the wonderful vibe-pump Gaggia Espresso. I tweaked and played around with that machine for several months wihout great success. Mild success. To add insult to injury, I'm very cheap. I want a $1200 machine on a $100 budget. Not realistic... right? Usually.

I started watching eBay and craigslist and local papers, and after several weeks of daily searching, I found this Nuova Simonelli 2 group machine. The ad said the machine was "for parts" and they wanted $200. Here's the craigslist picture:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/NSimon1.jpg

I ended up talking him down to $170! No bugs, no rodents. It is missing the front panel, the top grate the cups sit on, the grate that sits in the drain pan and both portafilters. Here are some pictures I took at home:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Top.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/flow.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Procon.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Back-1.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/oldinside.jpg

To give credit where credit is due, there is a FANTASTIC website I stubmled across, -->www.espresso-rest...<-- and I poured over it for hours. Finally I got up the nerve to find Citric Acid and start the disassembly. Unfortunately, the batteries died in my camera and I was a few days removed from it. So all the geeky pictures of old copper and acid-restored copper are not available. I'm sorry for my laziness!!!!

After virtually every pipe and fitting was removed, they, along with the boiler (1/4 full of white scale glopped up onto the heat element), the heat element, procon pump, disassembled groupheads, disassembled solenoid innards, disassembled check valves - everything went into a basin full of citric acid. 1 tablespoon of citric acid powder (kinda like clumpy sugar) per quart of hot tap water. All this soaked for about 6 hours. Everything was shiny like new! Except the heat element and the boiler, which soaked for about a day and a half. The nickel plating started to come off the boiler, so I figured that was long enough. I broke up all the scale I could inside the boiler using screwdrivers and whatever I could bend around to scrape with. Once finished there were jsut a few dots here and there that I could see. I'm sure that back behind some of the heat-exchanger tubes there might be some more, but it was pretty clean.

While everything was disassembled, I took the naked chassis, void of electronics and the motor, outslide. I sprayed it down with "Krud Kutter" and scrubbed a little here and there. The spray nozzle of the garden hose took care of everything else.

Anyway, now it works!
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/newright.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/newinside.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/newfront.jpg

Next step is making a new front panel and drip tray...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

EddieDove
Woah! Great Deal and Great Job!

That is awesome!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
seedlings
EddieDove wrote:
Woah! Great Deal and Great Job!

That is awesome!

LeAndra (wife) is now watching craigslist! She wants me to sell a few of these!
Shock HA!

CHAD

John Despres
Verrrrrry cool, Chad! I don't dare go into mine until it's either broken or there's another on the counter.

Congratulations, and nice work!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
EddieDove
Chad!

Now I really want a bigger and better machine than my Gaggia! Although ... I really don't know where it would fit on the counter ...

AH! Remodel the kitchen ...
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

seedlings
John Despres wrote:
Verrrrrry cool, Chad! I don't dare go into mine until it's either broken or there's another on the counter.

Congratulations, and nice work!

It's about as hard as installing a new kitchen faucet.

EddieDove wrote:
Chad!

Now I really want a bigger and better machine than my Gaggia! Although ... I really don't know where it would fit on the counter ...

AH! Remodel the kitchen ...

I thought about chopping it down to a one group. I was afraid. Fortunately, though my wife kinda likes it! Even with the guts exposed!

I now have a salvage piece of SS and made a template for the front plate. We'll see...

CHAD

MarkBart
Don't lose the wife Faction! Plexiglass front panel might be a good idea!
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

seedlings
MarkBart wrote:
Don't lose the wife Faction! Plexiglass front panel might be a good idea!

I really thought about plexi, Mark! I was afraid of the heat. What do you think?

CHAD

Kaffee Bitte
Plexi should work for the panels. They are a pretty high temp plastic and an espresso machine (even left on 24/7) shouldn't really get to a temp that would melt the plastics involved.

And by the way! DON"t try turning the two group to a one group!!! It will cost WAY MORE than it is worth in space! A two group is a BEAUTIFUL THING!!!!!!!! Really if you wanted a one group you should have gone for one. Conversions are insanely complex!
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
bvwelch
Metal has been good for you in the past, so I'd stick with that.

Googling around for plexiglass melting point yields some fairly low values. Why not measure it? And measure the area around the front of the espresso machine?

-bill

seedlings
Kaffee Bitte wrote:
And by the way! DON"t try turning the two group to a one group!!! It will cost WAY MORE than it is worth in space! A two group is a BEAUTIFUL THING!!!!!!!! Really if you wanted a one group you should have gone for one. Conversions are insanely complex!

What are you trying to say, Lynn? I don't understand. ;)

bvwelch wrote:
Metal has been good for you in the past, so I'd stick with that.

Googling around for plexiglass melting point yields some fairly low values. Why not measure it? And measure the area around the front of the espresso machine?

-bill

Measure... Aaaahhh yesssss! Sometimes the most obvious solutions... escape me!

CHAD

seedlings
I've been working on a replacement front panel and found Stainless Steel to be an unfriendly medium. I got a scrap from a friend, and cut out a rectangle larger than the opening. My hope was to get a 1/2" round bend at the bottom to match the flow of the side panels. Since my metalergy is very low, and I don't know any better, I put it between scraps of wood and started beating the tar out of it. The top piece is a scrap of 3/4" plywood, and the bottom is a 2x4. The 2x4 had a rounded edge similar to what I wanted, so the metal was beat over it.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel1.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel2.jpg

Really, I just tappy-tap-tapped left to right, right to left back and forth trying to catch only the very edge of the extended metal.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel3.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel4.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel5.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel6.jpg

Looked pretty good down in the garage. How did it fit? Well, let's just say that the pictures will lead you to believe it just layed over exactly as I hoped. Nope. The bend was banged ever so slightly off of angle, which made the panel un-square. Looks OK on the right side:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel7.jpg

But here you see the first problem - the offset. See, it doesn't quite match up as nice as the other side. I had to file and snip to get it to fit in there. This pic is before I reworked it a little.
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel8.jpg

Never fear though as I can ruin even a fairly acceptable outcome.

The hole saw I used to (try to) cut an opening for the pressure gauge did NOT like stainless. After several minutes only an etching had formed in the steel. Blade completely dull. Whip out the scroll saw, right? Mucked it up... wait till you see my industrial-ghetto fix for the oblong hole that resulted! Stay tuned...

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/15/2008 4:25 PM

EddieDove
Nevertheless, great work and ingenuity Chad!

Great work! s:2s:1s:1
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

seedlings
At least I didn't use duct tape.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel3-1.jpg

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel1-1.jpg

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Panel2-1.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the hole I tried to cut for the pressure gauge was horrid, off-center and oblong. There was not enough in this scrap of stainless to cut another back panel. I can't cut a circle, so I drilled holes (big enough for the jigsaw blade to fit in comfortably) on the points of an octagon, then cut in-between them. It's not what I hoped, but it at least sort of looks intentional...

There was no drip grate included (the part that fits in the drain and you set the cups on to brew) so I made one. I debated for a while about whether or not to allow drainage, which would be a great idea. I didn't cut slits because, although I could cut them straight, I don't have a good way to file it down without destroying the looks. I also decided not to drill a hundred holes because that would just suck. Again, wandering bit-starts would ruin any pattern and asthetics as well.

So, here it is. PF and gaskets come tomorrow. Woo-HOO! 'Bout time for more 'spro!

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/16/2008 2:50 PM

Windrat
I can pick up one of these and a mdx grinder for what I think is a great price

I really don't have room for it but I am considering picking it up and refurbishing it for resale if I can make a few bucks.

? what is it worth fixed up?
Edited by Windrat on 11/09/2010 10:49 AM

seedlings
Windrat wrote:
I can pick up one of these and a mdx grinder for what I think is a great price

I really don't have room for it but I am considering picking it up and refurbishing it for resale if I can make a few bucks.

? what is it worth fixed up?

Every so often I check out eBay to estimate this very thing. I would say it should sell for $1500+ if it's in good shape. Often I see them asking $2500, but have yet to see one sell at that price.

CHAD

Jump to Forum: