renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Looking for a grinder
opus
MUST be a burr. Preferably nothing new. I want something non-fancy, non-pretty and serviceable. Any suggestions? It needs to grind coffee, plain and simple.

www.castironcoffee.com
seedlings
Do you want espresso? And, do you have a price range?

here are brands to look for. "Better grinders" at the top of the list with more or all metal parts, not quite as refined, or more plastic toward the bottom:
Mazzer---------$600+ new, $350+ used
Macap
Pasquini
Rancilio---------$325 new, $250 used
Anfim
Rossi-------------$500 new, $200-250 used
Quick Mill
Ascaso/Innova
Isomac
Iberital
Gaggia------------$200 new, $150 used
Solis/Baratza----$150 new, $100 used

With possible exception of the Solis/Bartaza brand, all of these are recommended for every grind up to espresso or turkish (why would anyone....nevermind). The Solis/Bartaza is the most affordable, but some really geeky coffee guys don't like it for espresso. If budget was much more important than espresso, that would be the one to look for.

If you want one of the better (read: more expensive) grinders, start looking on eBay, Craigslist, ask around here, look on www.coffeegeek.com in the buy/sell forum. Your best bang-for-the-buck would probably be a used Mazzer Major (very large, last 100+ years) or a Mazzer Super Jolly (slightly less large, still last 100+ years).

I have a Rossi RR45 and paid $250 for it used, but almost got the Bartaza because of price.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/24/2008 2:37 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
Check ebay for Ditting, Grindmaster, Hobart, and Bunn. They are solid commercial machines if you are looking for larger capacity. Otherwise look there for any of the ones listed above. One not on the list is the Mazzer Mini, a favorite with serious home coffee enthusiasts. It is a small commercial machine, about $350 new.
Edited by Dan on 09/24/2008 4:28 AM

http://www.intactamerica.org
seedlings
Dan wrote:
Check ebay for Ditting, Grindmaster, Hobart, and Bunn. They are solid commercial machines if you are looking for larger capacity. Otherwise look there for any of the ones listed above. One not on the list is the Mazzer Mini, a favorite with serious home coffee enthusiasts. It is a small commercial machine, about $350 new.

Dan, the Mazzer Mini is $659 on Sweet Marias. Where can I get one new for $350???????

CHAD

Dan
You must be right. I was sure I bought one for that, but perhaps I was thinking about another grinder I priced for my step-daughter. Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.intactamerica.org
bvwelch
Used Trosser. $8.

opus
Cost is pretty important at this stage. And older one would be even better. Espresso would be nice but not needed right now. Unless I can dig up some rinky dink espresso maker. Its only I that drinks coffee in the house, so no need to go overboard.

www.castironcoffee.com
Kaffee Bitte
The Mazzer mini was once only $350-400. Not so now. $499 for the standard model last I saw. The Mini doserless models though are $695+.

Opus. I know you like the cowboy coffee. A hand mill would probably suit your style pretty well. Not to mention many of them are very adjustable through all ranges of coffee grinding.

If you are just looking to grind coarse for your normal brewing your best bet would probably be a Maestro. (not Maestro Plus or Virtuoso) It has a pretty wide range for non espresso and is a very functional grinder.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
opus
Hey Lynn,

I'm doing the hand grinding now. I'm getting lazy. :/ Probably should suck it up and just stick with this.

I could stand to do some espresso this winter. After all, what else is there to do?

www.castironcoffee.com
seedlings
Opus, check out these:

--->Starbukz Barista<---
--->Baratza Refurbished<---
--->Craigslist Gaggia 2fer<---
---> Plesant Suprise Rossi?<---

CHAD

opus
My new grinder:

i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii289/opusthe2nd/coffee/0a5f_1.jpg

www.castironcoffee.com
seedlings
opus wrote:
My new grinder:

That's AWESOME! I love a good, fresh ham salad sandwich. Are you still going to get a coffee grinder?

CHADB)

opus
LOL! Peanut butter and flour are going to be available too, watch out.

www.castironcoffee.com
seedlings
Pictures of the guts, pretty please?

CHAD

opus
i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii289/opusthe2nd/coffee/b3a9_1.jpg

www.castironcoffee.com
seedlings
Spectacular!
Shock

CHAD

opus
Got the grinder today and gave it a trial run. I didnt have a whole lot to grind but here it is: http://s267.photo...nd/coffee/

I am putting a motor on it, yet it is easily do-able by hand. Thumbs up on this one!
Edited by Kaffee Bitte on 01/08/2009 2:45 PM

www.castironcoffee.com
seedlings
ThumbsUp

Ditto.

CHAD

qajariaq
Mind if I ask where you purchased the grinder? Looks really sweet! (especially since it's not made to grind coffee, although it seems to do so quite well!)

I checked the manufacturer's site as well as eBay, those go for a lot of money (new). Earlier you had mentioned that cost was a concern... just wonderin' if there's a low-cost source for them out there somewhere?

opus
I stole it. ;)

I bought it from the Company: www.grainmaker.com, which is here in MT. I didnt want anything electric and I didnt want anything with plastic. This has many purposes, if it breaks, I can weld it. Its guaranteed for life as well. I will put a motor or engine on it.

Money is/was an object. I tend to like to buy something once, and never have to replace it. Only being $450 wasnt the end of the world. 4 digits make me nervous though. Plus, I used Chad's credit card for the purchase. ;)

Talking to the owner of the shop. It seems they sell about 3-4 a day. Whooda thunk it?
Edited by opus on 01/09/2009 3:52 AM

www.castironcoffee.com
Jump to Forum: