Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

her63
· 06/02/2020 9:10 AM
keep healthy bro, love roaster form home

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,591
Newest Member: lil_roasty
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Request for Comment: Gene Cafe Disassembly Instructions
EddieDove
Folks,

I need a little help here ...

I have been working really hard on some directions for folks to use to open up the Gene Cafe for cleaning and repairs. I am not very adept at publishing stuff to the web, so I have done the best I can; any help here is appreciated too. It started out as a pretty PowerPoint presentation, but trying to get something to look the same in both Firefox and Internet Exploder is really frustrating!

Anyway, it is on my blog (in my signature) and at the link below until I can figure out a way to put it here. I had planned on doing a series of these for different repairs and such, but I need to know if it is of value to folks before I go through more of this pain. Please give it a look and give me some constructive feedback. I would sincerely appreciate it.
[url=http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=dnwz3r2_266gvz529c3]
Click Here: How to Take Apart the Gene Cafe[/url]

Edited by EddieDove on 08/30/2008 10:26 AM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogsp...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
ginny
Eddie:

Looks great. I still have the two plastic side, like half moon things, that I have not been able to
put back.

The roaster roasts just fine.

I will go back through your demo and see if they are there...

heck they must be, ya know those plastic pieces that fit between the guts at the bottom and the drum?

ginny

thanks, great post, great blog!!

s:8s:8

John Despres
Verry cool, Eddie.
First a couple comments. Should I unplug my Gene Cafe before I take it apart?

s:8s:8s:8

From page 15 - "Lift the back out then lift the reflective pan straight up and put place away from the work area." which should it be? Put or place?

This thread comes in a timely manner as I'm toying with some alterations to my Gene Cafe regarding ariflow. I'll post a thread on that very soon.

Excellent work, Eddie, If I were to try this on my own, I probably would have started from the bottom.

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
EddieDove
Got it and fixed it, John.

Thank you, very much!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

John Despres
Thank you, Eddie.

I had a need for this service this week. My drum slips loose of the thumb catch as it rotates to the upside down position. As it comes back up, it re-seats itself. Once the roaster has warmed up for about 5 1/2 minutes, the drum remains seated.

It seems the bearings in the heater end are quite sloppy. All other screws and connections are tight.

The only thing I discovered is the reflective pan must be well seated in the back or the lid won't open quite all the way after reassembly. I'm not sure if I bent something, but it's now a minor problem I'll check out this morning.

I spoke with Tim Skaling and he's sending me a new heater unit in the hopes this will solve the problem of the dropping drum.

I suppose the only thing I'd suggest adding to your instruction would be to give the interior a thorough cleaning with a vacuum cleaner while it's open.

In any event, your tutorial was most helpful and I am grateful for it. With it's aid, I encountered no problems along the way at all. I'm sure it will come in handy for others in the future.

Thanks, again, Eddie
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

EddieDove
Thank you so much for the feedback, John! I am glad it was helpful.

Hope you are back to roasting. It would also be interesting to note if your Gene Cafe heats up more quickly that it did before or if it is the same once you replace the heater assembly.

A set of cleaning instructions are on the agenda ... including how to NOT break the fan!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

ginny
Eddie, as I mentioned before your article was GREAT...

My Gene Cafe is on it's way to our new member Tom. I know he will
have lots of questions; he also has to put those little plastic trim pieces on?!!

thanks for the article.

ginny
s:8s:8

hebrews
I received the roaster. I am (with little luck due to a horrible head cold) tasting my first ever home-roasted bean. And I must say, in spite of my lack of taste and smell, I can still tell this is some of the beset coffee I've had.

I do already have a question about the Gene. Tried as I might, last night, I couldn't get the Gene to reach 482 in any less than 11 minutes. Is there something I can do to fix that? I roasted in my basement and the ambient temp was about 67-68.
Thanks

still working on that one
John Despres
Congratulations on your first roast! s:2 s:2 s:2 s:2

I hope you're feeling well soon.

Hmmm. Won't reach 482F in less than 11 minutes? I take it you're running an empty drum test to get a feel for the roaster? The ambient temperature isn't low enough to effect it much.

I suggest a dedicated circuit. Are there other appliances or devices running in the same circuit you used? That may have something to do with it. After that, I have no suggestions.

Now if you got to 482F in 11 minutes with a drum full of beans, I think that's impressive! If that's the case I wonder what color the beans were when they came out.

How are you getting rid of smoke? I'm a basement roaster as well and have a rather elaborate ventilation system built in.

Have fun! and I hope this helps a bit.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

hebrews
I did test the gene empty just to have a baseline, and it was 11 minutes. But it is not on a dedicated circuit. Maybe I can have a go with that. I have attached the double chaff collector with a dryer vent hose to empty the smoke out the basement window. That seems to work quite well. I have now roasted two batches of Sumatra, and have been quite pleased.
I can actually smell and taste this morning, and WOW! It's really, really good!
A shout out to Ginny for selling me her gently used equipment. I am now hooked after only two roasts

H)H)H)

still working on that one
EddieDove
Hey Tom,

Let us know how things are going with the roaster and the roasts.

11 minutes seems a bit long to me, but might lend itself very well to the roasting of a Sumatra (one of my favorites), which prefers a slower roast.

And yes, Ginny is a very generous person!

Keep us informed!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

Jump to Forum: