Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
primarist

Total Members: 6,202
Newest Member: Brad1969
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Where to get budget greens
bvwelch
I thought our very own Marshall/endlesscycles gets his greens from there.

seedlings
Just a note, I went to order from www.coffeeshrub.com and there is a $150 minimum purchase required.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/27/2010 2:17 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

hergum
How about getting greens in Europe (Norway)? I just got the bill for my first online purchase, which turned out to be (yes, it's crazy) $45/pound! Half of that is shipping.

Next time I _will_ ask about the price before placing my order!

--
http://hergum.no

seedlings
hergum wrote:
How about getting greens in Europe (Norway)? I just got the bill for my first online purchase, which turned out to be (yes, it's crazy) $45/pound! Half of that is shipping.

Next time I _will_ ask about the price before placing my order!

--
http://hergum.no

WoW! That's highway robbery! Surely there are vendors nearer to you?

CHAD

ginny
hergum:

you cannot tell me there are no greens for you to get at a local level!

are you looking for a major, huge bean buy?

ginny

DocZ
It seems to me the place to get cheap greens would be from an importer. One that is close enough to a warehouse to be able to drive down and pick up. Each bag weighing about 134-155# would require roughly 20 ppl committed to buying +/- 7.75#’s, plus incurred cost of travel gas and shipping.
I have never bought wholesale greens or greens at all for that matter so I’m not sure of any cost. But what I do know is at $16.00# roasted I will need to drive that cost down. So is there or will there be any significant saving’s in setting something like this up?

seedlings
DocZ wrote:
It seems to me the place to get cheap greens would be from an importer. One that is close enough to a warehouse to be able to drive down and pick up. Each bag weighing about 134-155# would require roughly 20 ppl committed to buying +/- 7.75#’s, plus incurred cost of travel gas and shipping.
I have never bought wholesale greens or greens at all for that matter so I’m not sure of any cost. But what I do know is at $16.00# roasted I will need to drive that cost down. So is there or will there be any significant saving’s in setting something like this up?

You're exactly correct- and this is my main method for acquiring beans. Depending on origin, current prices are between $2.75 and $4.75 per pound the last time I checked. $4 is a good ballpark guess if you are buying good (not COE) beans. So you're looking at spending $4 x 132# or $4 x 152# so that's $528-$608 outlay in advance, which is always the hardest part for me. I ask for $.50/lb to cover my time and materials, which means I get 15 or 20# of beans for my time. The other frustrating part is lack of variety... but that can be overcome by different roast profiles, especially this last Harrar. Call the importer and talk with the reps. Ask them what coffees they like. My experience is they'll tell you if a bean is worth getting.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/06/2011 3:55 AM

DocZ
But when you say varietywhat do you mean? I look at this http://www.royaln...isting.php and there seems to be a lot of variety more than I would know where to start. What is it ppl are looking for?
Edited by seedlings on 12/06/2011 6:48 AM

seedlings
DocZ wrote:
But when you say varietywhat do you mean? I look at this http://www.royalny.com/cube/listing.php and there seems to be a lot of variety more than I would know where to start. What is it ppl are looking for?

I mean for you to have variety in your stash you need to buy several $600 bags of coffee.

CHAD

DocZ
wifey wont like that!:@

atalanta
I was looking at royal coffee because I would want to be able to justify filling the trunk of my car with coffee (or bribe my friend to drive her truck).

I've gotten greens on eBay, believe it or not. I'm currently roasting some decaf columbian that I was lucky enough to win for about $4.00/lb (with $40 shipping). It was a 35kg bag.

roybwilliams
I just bought some Nicaragua SHB EP on ebay. 16 lbs. came to about $3.85 per pound including shipping. I haven't received it yet so I don't know if it's any good, but for the price I thought I would give it a try.

gumyppah
Happy Mug Coffee breaks down bags for small roasters and home roasters. http://happymugco... until you can justify ordering full pallets of green coffee.

snwcmpr
Brasc Coffee importers has "Red Harvest" for home roasters.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

MassWineGuy
Have you heard of Bodhi Leaf? A fellow home coffee roaster told me about them yesterday. They're a full-fledged importing company in California. They sell beans from their own Website, but their eBay listings are especially nice. Good variety. Free shipping, too:

http://stores.eba...ingcompany

ginny
Yes, and I like them but I think their website is difficult and they do not give spot on descriptions of the beans.

This is one of the reasons I will always go to Thom and Maria at Sweet Maria because all of the information you want is right there and easy to access.

If you click on a bean at Bodhi you can buy or not. There is no information about the bean. If you click their view details, you get zip...

Actually I take that back, on some you get information, if I cannot get information and date on all bean crops I have issue. How old is the bean?

Why not give all of the information on all of the beans you sell?

If you are the new kid on the block and not used to buying your favorite bean this is not the place for you in my opinion.

ginny

there price compatible with most good bean sources.

their site:

http://www.bodhil...com/about/

ciel-007
The best price I have found online for green beans (including shipping) was $3.99/lb. Armed with that information, I proceeded to ask a few local commercial roasters if they would consider matching that price. One of them, said he would supply my needs at $4.50/lb. So far, I am very pleased with the quality, and the rapport that we have developed.

The moral of the story...? If you take the time to look around, you may be surprised at just how many commercial roasters there may be within driving distance from you home. It may take a bit of time to seek them out, but it's well worth the quest. Don't forget to look for suppliers that may be hidden from sight in the back of some nondescript commercial/industrial parks.

In my experience, budget priced beans does not mean low quality beans. I have paid over $20/lb for so called "high quality" roasted beans... and the espressos I pulled from them don't hold a candle to those greens costing me a mere $4.50/lb that I roasted at home.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ginny
budget priced beans does not mean low quality beans

The best price I have found online for green beans (including shipping) was $3.99/lb. Armed with that information, I proceeded to ask a few local commercial roasters if they would consider matching that price. One of them, said he would supply my needs at $4.50/lb. So far, I am very pleased with the quality, and the rapport that we have developed.

I have not suggested that budget beans mean inferior/low quality beans. I read the question as asking where a member could find good beans at a fair price.

If a new roaster asks me that question I must send them to a place where they can read about a bean.

The moral of the story is look around locally and if you have a roaster ask to buy greens. Try them. If there is no local roaster around buy from a supplier that will tell you where the bean came from, when the crop was harvested. If they do not pass...

Once you have gotten your feet wet and tried a few beans you will have some idea of your taste and what you liked and did not...

Buy your first beans just to have some beans and to try different greens. Buy your next beans based on what you learned from the first batches...

Do not count on anyone or anything but your taste, period.

If it tastes good to you that is all that matters...

ginny

ciel-007
Ginny,
such choice words...
and such convincing tone...
can only mean one thing:
You will be absolutely BRILLIANT
during your upcoming interview for Living The Country Life.
Good luck to you, Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Smksignals
ginny wrote:

Yes, and I like them but I think their website is difficult and they do not give spot on descriptions of the beans.

This is one of the reasons I will always go to Thom and Maria at Sweet Maria because all of the information you want is right there and easy to access.

If you click on a bean at Bodhi you can buy or not. There is no information about the bean. If you click their view details, you get zip...

Actually I take that back, on some you get information, if I cannot get information and date on all bean crops I have issue. How old is the bean?

Why not give all of the information on all of the beans you sell?

If you are the new kid on the block and not used to buying your favorite bean this is not the place for you in my opinion.

ginny

there price compatible with most good bean sources.

their site:

http://www.bodhil...com/about/

Ive won a couple of Bodhi Leafs auctions and have been semi impressed... I got some El Salvador and Colombian that has roasted and tasted well. When I email them on the bean age or self life they said quote "If you store them properly -- they are good for 3-6 months." Ok.

I recently won some Brazilian Bob-O-Link and am not to impressed. Lots of different been sizes. Small, reg size, peabearry's. Seems like more defects than my other auctions. And they roast horribly. Scorched, blotchy, uneven, light, dark ect...

I am pretty new to roasting. I use a SC/TO and my roasts have been coming out very nice accept for these Bob-O-Link beans. If someone experienced wants a pound or 2 let me know. I am curious as to what you think? Or you can let me know if I am crazy... PM your details and Ill get,em out.

Thanks.
Edited by Smksignals on 04/14/2013 9:15 AM

Jump to Forum: