Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Air roaster building questions.
seedlings
To load one pic at a time:

-Click on "Add Reply"
-type some words
-on top of "Post Reply" click "Browse"
-find and click on the pic you want to add
-BE DARN SURE IT IS LESS THAN 500x500 AND LESS THAN 100K so Ginny won't gripe any more Grin
-you must click "Post Reply" so the pic will load up.

That is all. (The only 2-syllable word was "ginny," pretty good, huh? Well, and "reply" but I had to use that one!)

------------------------------
To link a pic on the net:

-find the url for the pic
-"copy" it
-"paste" it in with your words
-put "[img]" in front of your url and "[/img]" in back of your url
-click "Preview Reply" to be sure it looks right to you
-click "Post Reply" so we can all see it too

I think I have seen your roaster on Ed Needham's site, was it the steel tube about 3 feet tall?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/21/2008 2:37 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Kaffee Bitte
That is one interesting roaster Bob! How difficult was it to put together?
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
RoasterRob
This is a picture of the mark 2. I am still using the furnace section of this. Th RC is the 650 gram unit. Have progressively built a 1.9kg, a 2.3kg and a 3kg. Working on the 5kg at present.

Yes Chad the mark 1 is on Ed's site, the furnace section is about 1000mm (3'3") the 2.3 RC is about 700mm (27").
Will put a few pics up here. I might look at putting some up on a sight like flickr or such.

Rob
RoasterRob attached the following image:
roastermk2[672].jpg

Edited by RoasterRob on 01/21/2008 10:35 PM
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

RoasterRob
This is one i built in stainless.
SSroaster1[673].jpg

VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

RoasterRob
And the 5kg RC almost finished, plus another project next to it.
10inrc[674].jpg

seedlings
s:1Works of ART! s:1Beautiful! s:1Awe-inspiring! :@Envy-producing!

Wow.s:2
CHAD

P.S. Wow.s:2s:2

P.S.S. What is the blower & motor you're using for your designs?
Edited by seedlings on 01/22/2008 4:25 AM

Kaffee Bitte
I agree with Chad on this. Those are some sweet pimped out roasters!
I am very impressed.

A few quick questions. While roasting does anything sit on the top to keep beans from flying out? Or is the blower just low enough in pressure to keep them flowing below the outlet? Is it possible to view the beans or take temp readings? Or do you roast by sound and smell, which in all honestly is pretty close to how I do it anyway. I can sort of see the beans in my roaster, but not well, and the temperature readings are more an iffy guide in my drum since they don't give me bean mass temps. They mostly just tell me the ambient temp of the grill chamber.
Lynn

EddieDove
HOLY CRAP! s:4

Um ... I mean ... GOLLY!

Those are awesome! s:1
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
RoasterRob
No lid required (although the stainless one has a perf lid for when you dump the beans, long story). I have a triac based 1kw controller for controlling the airflow and hence bean movement and also the profile. Temp is measured in the none airflow part of the bean mass. Dump temp is typically 233C which is early part of rolling 2nd, a few beans have oil spots. Roast starts with controller at bout 80% and finishes with it at bout 40%.

The beans flow very smoothly across the roast chamber, this is an assymetrical type RC (haven't used the cone one yet). Blower is a 1.1kw cheapo vacuum cleaner motor bout 5" dia and only 4" high. We have fluidised 3kg with one blower.

Typical roast is 1st crack at bout 8min and 2nd bout 11.30. Roaster is very controllable profile wise. Am working on a temp display that gives more data. Basically a datalogger that displays delta T, ie rate of temp increase per minute. had a friend make one at one stage but cos we used the wrong A to D chips it awsn't as accurate as we had hoped. There are some guys around the cnr from my work that have a datalogger they can change some code for a moderate charge and it should do what i want.
tcdisplay[675].jpg

seedlings

speechless,
CHAD

Kaffee Bitte
Beautiful!

So are you using these for commercial roasting or just for coffee for you and friends?
Lynn

bvwelch
I love that homebrew datalogger!

I'm gonna steal that idea of displaying the delta temp (rate of change over the last minute). I'd love to know more about your A/D chips and such.

-bill

RoasterRob
Wow fast replies didn't expect you guys to be online now.
I am using mine for a small coffee biz bout 6 to 7 kg a week (some friends, friends of friends my work etc) , the 5kg RC is for a friend doing a little more than that.

Rob

"serious obsession"s:6

RoasterRob
I love that homebrew datalogger!

I'm gonna steal that idea of displaying the delta temp (rate of change over the last minute). I'd love to know more about your A/D chips and such.

Hi Bill

What you want (IMO) is to have the delta T calculated on the minimum amount of time that gives usable data, but displayed as a per minute rate. ie if calculating on the last 5 seconds give you a stable but slowly changing rate then that is usable. If the d T is jumping around too much then maybe going to 10 or 15 seconds will work.

When i roast i am looking to get to 140C at about 3.5 mins, then run at about a dT of 18/min declining slowly to 12/min leading into 1st crack then thru 1st it is down to 7/min then leading up to 2nd it will be bout 10ish/min.

The A to D chips we used were only accurate to the nearest 0.25 deg C which wasn't accurate enough. The delta T bounced around a bit too much to get an accurate reading, needed to have the d T based on probably 30 seconds to get a stable enough reading. These other units look like they will do the trick, their gonna be about NZ$300+ and then there's paying for a few hours coding.

Rob

dBndbit
RR,
Phenomenal artwork and phenomenal shop equipment and skills!!!
s:1s:4s:1s:4s:1 (copious envyings)

KB, bvw, seedlings, and all... I'm also interested in any and all technical details you guys would be willing to share about air flow, component dimensions, assembly techniques, watts, BTUs or whatever. I'm working on some strange home-built roasters too but not with anywhere near the progress of you guys.

One comment: please try to avoid using just initials without clearly giving the full name. Like "right hand stanchion stretcher (RHSS)". That can avoid a lot of confusion for us ignorant folks.

You've probably already seen this, but I found some terrific engineering details on how to calculate air flow, temps, bean air drag, power requirements, and other important numbers in the book Coffee Technology <http://myreeferdo...Links.html by Michael Sivetz (the inventor of fluid bed air roasters). You can see his current family of symmetrical and asymmetrical roast chamber machines at <http://www.sivetz...>.
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

http://www.ReeferDoor.com
Kaffee Bitte
I hadn't ever read the Sivetz articles you mention, myself, though on of the local coffee shops here in town uses a roaster developed, either by him or from his designs ( not sure which ).

As to the initials, it really can be a problem at times. But I would encourage you to just ask what they mean. I find myself doing this on a near hourly basis at times, especially in the last year as I had to learn thousands upon thousands of medical terms in shorthand. Not exactly easy. Q.I.D. qid, QD, UGH!!!! Each of those is something Very different.

Roaster Rob, that is truly a nice datalogger. I wonder if we have any like that here in the states.
Edited by EddieDove on 01/24/2008 1:06 AM
Lynn

seedlings
dBndbit wrote:
KB, bvw, seedlings, and all... I'm also interested in any and all technical details you guys would be willing to share about air flow, component dimensions, assembly techniques, watts, BTUs or whatever. I'm working on some strange home-built roasters too but not with anywhere near the progress of you guys.

Bandit Jim, unfortunately I think all of these things are OTF (on the fly) and SCIIAW (sheer coincidence if it actually works). AIKFS (all I know for sure) ... sorry, I'll stop that now, smart alek!

Most homeroasters are treading on immature ice. Just start with a goal, say a 1 kilo bach size. Then I decide that I'd like to do this indoors. Then I go internet searching for ways to get rid of chaff (in other worlds it's sawdust or dirt in a vacuum cleaner) and came across the cyclone priniciple. Then I figure, since it's indoors, I'll have to use electricity. So I search and end up at someplace like www.heatersplus.com and try to decide what type of electric heat I'd like to afford. Then just daydream for a long time to guess how to assemble the little devil. Then come across some people who know electronics and can help you design a heat control or a PID (proportional-integral-derivative) control to take inputs like voltage and time and allow you to program how you want the inputs to relate. I have no experience with a PID, but there are others who have...

I guess there are just so many variables. It's like the difference between a pressurized portafilter and a naked portafilter. Pressurized being the commercial average for the inexperienced and unmotivated, and naked for those who want to be sure every minute detail comes together perfectly.

What's your goal in a roaster?

CHAD

Kaffee Bitte
So Roaster Rob. What exactly are you using for the blower in the 2-3 kilo roaster you built. I am looking at vaccum motors as opposed to the leaf blower that seedlings is aiming for.

Also a quick question on the torch you referenced in your earlier post. It uses propane and also has a line in for an oxygen tank? Doesn't seem like it would pump out much heat otherwise. If that is the case I know of several others that I could source pretty easily. In fact one of the jewelers here in town may have a spare he'd be willing to sell me. He likes to build things so in exchange for a little extra coffee he's been giving me hints on putting this monster together.
Lynn

RoasterRob
The vacuum cleaner motors i have been using are the 1100watt (230v) cheapo units. Tested a 1600watt one, found it had no more blow than the 1100 unit. Someone (here i think) had a link to the Graingers catalogue that had a link to the manafacturers spec sheets. Look for the max pressure (same as it's vacuum) and max flow without getting into too high a wattage unit. 1100watts at 110volts will do the same work as at 230volts.

The LPG (Liqiud petroleum gas) torches draw in air at the torch head. The 2941 unit is rated at 7KW more than enough to roast up to 3KG (or more) of coffee. There is a 2940 that is 3 KW (used it for a few roasts with the 650gram RC way back when). There is also a 2942 that is 26KWs. If you need more than that you are trying to roast too much coffee too quickly.
http://www.siever...&areaId=26
Third item down Art no: 219741 is the torch i use, also with a 1 to 4 bar pressure reducer. Price here runs to bout NZ$150. I also swop the neck tube for a longer one that i cut and braze thru the bottom plate of the roaster to a turned and drilled piece of round bar.

The first roaster (the one on Ed's site) had the tube set between two 6" pipes and sealed with tape ( hey it worked).

My roasters use only 25% or less of the roaster diameter perforated. It wouldn't work with all of a 6" base plate perforated but that IMO would be an inefficiant way of doing it. I just don't see a plus side to perforating all of the bottom plate.

I must try to do a video on UTube of the roaster in action, the beans flow really smoothly across the RC.

Will do a pic of the burner setup top and bottom view.

Rob

RoasterRob
View of the under side, brass neck tube is cut bent and end braised into round bar which is welded thru the base plate.
Rstbase2[683].jpg

Jump to Forum: