Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

peveleth
· 06/05/2020 3:10 PM
For Gene Cafe Roasters I have an older Gene Cafe Roaster. Temp fluctuates probably showing age. Question: For recent owners of the newer Gene Cafe Roaster, your opinions?

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,619
Newest Member: waterwynde
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How to determine Target Roast Profile for a specific roaster
mtbizzle
I have assumed that there is are rough guidelines on when different roasting landmarks should occur during your roast timeline. For example, ##m##s green to yellow, ##m##s first crack start, then varying times for different roast levels. Call this the 'target roast profile'.

Obviously, all of these times are variables that you can manipulate, but I always thought that there are rough, target ranges that should be a goal for roasts. E.g., a popper is too damn fast a roast, you should not be getting first crack at 3:00; roast too long and you bake; have to avoid scorching burning. Even warmup, not rushing into roast too fast, as they say the beans can be a nice even brown but be uneven in masked ways. I don't mean a universal temperature curve or something automated like that, but a "best" way to space the events of the roast process.

But then today, I heard someone who certainly knows home roasting say that, in a smaller roaster, you do not want to try to match the same roast landmark times as you do in a big commercial roaster.

I'm a bit confused now! My strategy for trying to improve my roasts is to: expand my roasting tools -> measure timing to roast landmarks, and temp at roast landmarks, trying to see if there is any correlation between measured temps and roast events -> adjust roast to extend or shorten roast timings to fall closer to those goldilocks ranges.

Is this a good approach? If not, then how do you determine the shape of a roast profile -- roast event timings, temperatures, etc -- for a specific roaster? What cues or landmarks do you base it on?
Roast: Nostalgia popper
Grind: Comandante c40, Encore
Brew: v60, flair espresso, moka pot, french press, cezve w/ 'Scott Rao' water
Ask me about Tea!

renatoa
As far as I seen, roasting profiles are related to coffee origins and roasting style, rather than to roaster machines.
Is true that it seems to be a general consensus that FB roasting should be faster than other methods, but I didn't found any reasoning behind this claim.

You can have a look at guidelines from inside the Artisan code, check below:

#CHECK CONDITIONS
        #if dry phase time < 3 mins (180 seconds) or less than 26% of the total time
        #  => ShortDryingPhase
        #if dry phase time > 6 mins or more than 40% of the total time
        #  => LongDryingPhase
        #if mid phase time < 5 minutes
        #  => ShortTo1CPhase
        #if mid phase time > 10 minutes
        #  => LongTo1CPhase
        #if finish phase is less than 3 mins
        #  => ShortFinishPhase
        #if finish phase is over 6 minutes
        #  => LongFinishPhase

But... take them with much salt, these timings seems to be aiming long, dark roasts, as in many commercial coffees. There are two questionable timings in the code above:
- first, the finish/development phase minimum value... 3 minutes is way too much for a 3rd wave light nordic style filter roasting, where 1-2 minutes is the norm;
- also the mid phase minimum value of 5 minutes... many professional I know, and me too, are roasting with 4 minute browning and have great results. The maximum 10 minutes for browning is simply ludicrous... extending browning phase that long is called baking, not roasting, imo.

Another resource you can consider is this graph sketched by Jim Schulman, for fluid bed get the leftmost/shortest values of each interval.

https://www.home-barista.com/forums/u...esized.jpg

Regarding approach, already expressed my opinion: anyone should start first roast without "tools", to experience sensorial roasting, not crunching numbers.
Spending too much time to ensure you have a "perfect" start is the best method to have a big deception when you will see the beans have a different thinking than yours, or computer.
Edited by renatoa on 05/08/2020 3:32 AM

Jump to Forum: