OfflineAdmin
· 08/06/2020 3:33 PM
Allenb, how are you doing?

Oneal
· 08/05/2020 1:08 PM
Is anyone roasting on a Coffee Tech FZ 94? Using Artisan. Need help. thumbdown

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
CharcoalRoaster

Total Members: 6,681
Newest Member: Noboundries
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
90% of my roasts, even light City roasts, have an underlying burnt/acrid taste. What gives?!
allenb

While I personally do not roast like the this, MANY of my commercial roasting friends have begun experimenting with a an S-Curve i.e. slowing the roast down in the early development stage and creating more thorough pressure in the drum thus developing the interior and exterior of the coffee before first crack. This may allow you to accelerate through first crack to your desirable drop temp and roast degree without the underdeveloped taste you're experiencing.

This is interesting as I just recently played around with a nice Kenya doing exactly as you describe with slowing down the beginning leg of development and allowing a fairly swift run through final phase after first crack. I expected there to be a pronounced acidity and lack of sweetness but got just the opposite, a wine-like rich acidity, full body and no lack of sweetness. Plus, complexity increased quite a bit as there were various notes that I hadn't experienced before trying this.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

primarist

MANY of my commercial roasting friends have begun experimenting with a an S-Curve i.e. slowing the roast down in the early development stage and creating more thorough pressure in the drum thus developing the interior and exterior of the coffee before first crack.

I'd love to see some printouts of this type of curve! I cant really picture it and it goes against everything I've read so far. For what its worth, I've had some luck lately with using a more hands off approach, letting the beans "coast" through to FC.
Roaster: Kaldi Fortis
Grinder: 1zpresso JX / Baratza Encore
Brew Method: Aeropress / Bonavita Drip

I love coffee, but roast a lot of charcoal

renatoa
These are the mess that keep me away of the drum roast path.
Switch to hot air and everything is gone, the hot air temperature drives everything, no more need to worry about airflow.
Just keep ET constant, and machine natural curve is the perfect Rao profile.
Lol, poor Rao, he needs thousands of roast to find the heat absorption equation of a body immersed in a different temperature environment.

ga2arch
Did you ever find out what the problem is?

I'm having the same exact issues but pan roasting, the beans don't look burnt, they have a good color but they smell burnt.
Just started pan roasting

DrHenley

ga2arch wrote:
I'm having the same exact issues but pan roasting, the beans don't look burnt, they have a good color but they smell burnt.

Try cooling them down as quickly as possible to room temperature (pour between two metal colanders in front of a fan) and then get them in a degassing bag right away, suck all the air out of the bag and leave them there for two days.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

mkane
Once you figure out how to roast in a drum roaster it's fairly simple.
Always learning

renatoa
Funny Grin
I guess this could apply to any machine you end to know very well...

Jump to Forum: