OfflineAdmin
· 08/06/2020 3:33 PM
Allenb, how are you doing?

Oneal
· 08/05/2020 1:08 PM
Is anyone roasting on a Coffee Tech FZ 94? Using Artisan. Need help. thumbdown

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,681
Newest Member: Noboundries
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Another electric 1kg roaster
danst
Yes, there is a difference , but I know, I have made improvements, not only larger roaster.
The passive preheating tunnel is good for better energy effectivity, all parts with problematic maintance are overworked, it will be working better, some parts are better designed (I have avoided some earlier mistakes).
I have slowly practice with them, the roaster can without problems make 1kg batches very fast - FC can be in 8min.

But this is now history again. I must learn new configuration of this roaster. The new 6mm (7mm was not at disposal) front plate and greater door is from now in action. The photo shows the old bent proofed BT probe and 2 short for ET and MET.
I think for in-drum temperature measurement was 12mm probe too much influenced with front plate, I changed it with 30mm one. For MET, I think, the short probe can better project thermal status of the whole roaster. And this is needful condition for batch roasting, especially with electric heating.
And I can be wrong, of course.
danst attached the following images:
a2.jpg a1.jpg

1000g Ugly roaster, QM Alexia EVO, Bezzera BZ09, Niche Zero, Fiorenzato Doge 63, Mazzer Jolly(Mestre), Handground, T. Moccamaster, Aeropress.

Erichimedes
Danst, your roaster looks fantastic!

I am about to build a 1kg drum roaster, and would like to use electric heating if possible.
You mentioned having about 4000w of electric heating. I'm curious how much of that wattage you use on a 1kg roast? I know you also preheat your incoming air, which I think is very smart. I'm wondering if I can get by with 5kw of heating and no preheating of the incoming air.

danst
Some roasters use 2.5kW /1kg beans. They have thick front plate and drums mostly perforated. Others have 4.5-6 kW/1-1.5 kg and the same built fashion as gas roasters with solid drum.
My has 3.8kW (as I used spare heatings from earlier) . Now with 6mm f.plate is the behaviour as I presupposed.
(Still I have an idea to try adding more mass, simply what happens by it)
The use of power corresponds to preheating level. 80% - 10% during the roast mostly.
I think, we are at one, the roaster is not only the heating. All parts relates together.
5kW / 1kg is fine.
1000g Ugly roaster, QM Alexia EVO, Bezzera BZ09, Niche Zero, Fiorenzato Doge 63, Mazzer Jolly(Mestre), Handground, T. Moccamaster, Aeropress.

danst
The new slow 20 RPM motor with high torque is in action. Now it´s safe to try the bean temp with the hand.

It was a pity to throw out the old 4mm front plate. I cut it and added about 15% mass for heat storage.

Now is the roaster completed and ugly again.

The tehnical behaviour is very good and the result is up to operator. And that is how it should be.
danst attached the following images:
aa1_3.jpg aa2_3.jpg ab1.jpg b16.jpg b1_2.jpg b2_2.jpg b4_1.jpg

Edited by danst on 10/03/2019 8:58 AM

danst
Now, despite of cold winter ambient, I'm happy with the roaster. I have better control/experience on it, the airflow is better adjusted, not so much as in earlier attempts. I still make minor mistakes with heating, but the results are good.

I also added 4. temperature probe on the front plate, this is useful for checking of preheating. (MT, ET, BT, FT on the picture)

Here an example of 900g medium/dark - full city roast (some people still like this, including me BBQ grill).
danst attached the following image:
obr.jpg

Edited by danst on 03/01/2020 1:04 PM

danst
After some time I had a minor problem. The bearings were fast seized. The loud creaking tones were very unpleasant. I found, the problem is on the inner envelope on balls (there are 2 shields on every side) - a black layer on inner metal shield that crumbles with heat and causes the problem. I removed the shields with this layer and leaved only 1 metal shield towards the roaster´s body , the exterior site leaved open, for better cooling and greasing.

AlexMunt
Very impresive work Danst, the first roaster and the second! And all the improvements you have made.
I`m working on a similar project, building my own roaster, allmost the same size:220 x 220 mm drum, stainless steel 4mm not perforated, electric heat, 2,5KW, controled by TC+ Arduino kit and Artizan.

Thanks to Homeroasters.org for all, information, forum, comments, etc. I used a lot of information from here.

I have a question about a detail on how do you managed the thermal insulation. The silicone used to seal the walls on your roaster, is thermal resistent? Can you tell me some brand you have used, or name ?
Thanks.
Edited by AlexMunt on 07/19/2020 12:12 PM

renatoa
120x120 CM ? Shock Maybe machine footprint...

If related to drum size, and was an units typo, you meant "mm", then it's too small, means 1.357 litres, good for maximum 250 grams.

The closest figure good for 1 kg drum is 12x12 inches.

AlexMunt
Sory, it was my error in writing. I have made the correction in my post.

220x 220mm the correct dimention.

The footprint, like you have mentioned, is 120x40 cm more closer than the drum. :) Grin

Thanks for the Note renatoa!

allenb
Hi Alex,

In the interest of keeping individual build threads devoted to the original poster's project, it's best to PM the OP with any questions related to ones own build otherwise, a longer than desired set of back and forth's typically happen sidetracking the OP's thread off course.

But, please start a thread on your build so we can lend a hand and many will want to see it's progress. And, post lots of photos!
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

danst
The right answer is : with this 8.6x7.4 inch drum I have made some 1200g roasts, with no problems. But I feel, it is the maximum, on the rear perforated plate start some smallest / broken grains to fall out.
I believe with 2.5kW power it is possible to make 1kg roasts only very slow or with higher preheating temps and with more risk of scorching and ashy flavours.
The electric roaster with solid drum has the same needs on power as gas roasters.
On the next change, when the heating is gone (I don´t know when), I make surely 4.5 - 5 kW heating. Depending on power square load on tubular elements.

Jump to Forum: