You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,630
Newest Member: sadigalolita
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Beef Tips
BeefTips
Hello Everyone, my name is DJ. I'm from Florida, USA. Im about as new to roasting as can be since I habe yet to start roasting. I have a popper and a bread maker. I bought the popper and decided I really wanted something different. I'm going to make the classic bread maker/ heat gun set up soon. I found this website by simply googling home made coffee roasters one day. I have lurked as a guest for a while and decided it was time to get access so I can ask questions and comment on threads. Looking forward to learning about roasting from Y'all!

renatoa
Welcome !

I would consider the flour sifter or rolling drum/cage approach instead bread maker, much even heat distribution and better agitation.

allenb
Big welcome to Homeroasters! We're looking forward to seeing your roaster come together whether it be breadmaker or any other method. BTW, I've had some way over the top killer cups from HRO members roasting in the classic "Corretto".

Post often and have fun!!!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BeefTips
Renatoa I havnt considered the sifter. My concern with it is how can I make the the agitation manual? With the roller drum that was my first thought. I was going to use a counter top rotisserie oven. That doesn't give the necessary heat or agitation. So I've settled on the bread maker and I already have started getting everything for it.

renatoa
There are 20-60 RPM motors everywhere, I don't see the issue... even a $10 screwdriver can be used for this purpose.

I spent a lot of time to study proper agitation in a stir crazy style pan, and having now a better understanding of the beans circulation I don't find a bread machine satisfactory for this task.
Too many layers of beans, thus too big temperature gradient from bottom to surface, a paddle that not guarantee a good vertical circulation, heat source too focused, all of these are factors discouraging the use of such machine, no matter how many success stories are reported here and elsewhere.

Good luck !
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

allenb

renatoa posted: I spent a lot of time to study proper agitation in a stir crazy style pan, and having now a better understanding of the beans circulation I don't find a bread machine satisfactory for this task.
Too many layers of beans, thus too big temperature gradient from bottom to surface, a paddle that not guarantee a good vertical circulation, heat source too focused, all of these are factors discouraging the use of such machine, no matter how many success stories are reported here and elsewher
e.

When optimum batch size is not exceeded, the agitation capabilities of a breadmaker often cycles beans back to heat source faster than a typical fluidbed roaster. Stir Crazy and breadmaker are two different animals. Jump to 1:12 in the video

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BeefTips
Allenb what is your recommendation for batch size. I'm sure every machine is different but just am average size for the correto machines.

renatoa
Allen is right when you see this kind of movement in the bowl.

The pessimistic thoughts I wrote above are inspired from my fellows experience filling the recipient until the agitator is buried under beans and no more doing its job.
Probably you should stop adding beans when you still see the shaft.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

allenb

BeefTips wrote:

Allenb what is your recommendation for batch size. I'm sure every machine is different but just am average size for the correto machines.

From what I've seen, depending on bowl dimensions, 1 lb seems to allow very good agitation but maybe more is possible.

Allen

BeefTips
Sweet. Thanks for the info

allenb

renatoa wrote:

The pessimistic thoughts I wrote above are inspired from my fellows experience filling the recipient until the agitator is buried under beans and no more doing its job.
Probably you should stop adding beans when you still see the shaft.

Thanks for clarifying the issue at hand. Yes, as with all cooking appliances, overloading is bad and will produce inferior results. I used to try and squeeze in a couple more ounces of green into my drum roaster than I should and produced poor results in the cup.

Allen

Jump to Forum: