bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster Build
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif TC4 with aArtisan... [217]
bullet2.gif PETS also part of... [70]
bullet2.gif My Experience wit... [44]
bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster... [32]
bullet2.gif Cant get Artisan ... [27]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 4

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 4,885
bullet2.gif Newest Member: Chip
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 04/24/2017 07:43
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 5904
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » ALL ABOUT ROASTERS » HotTop Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cant get Artisan to respond! What am I doing wrong?
ajf
Randy,

If you still have the problem, then I should be able to help you diagnose the cause of the problem. I was a software engineer for over 40 years, so I have a good understanding of computers.

You say that your Hottop does not communicate with your laptop.

If we replace your laptop with mine, and it works, then the problem is related to your computer.
If it still doesn't work, then the problem is caused by a bad USB cable or a bad HotTop. Replacing your USB cable with mine will show which.

If the problem is with your computer, then it is caused either by a hardware fault, or a configuration issue.
If it is a hardware fault, I can lend you an old laptop to use until you can get yours fixed.
If it is a configuration issue, I can check how it is configured, and make any necessary corrections.

Alan
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Randy G
I would suggest starting with a different USB cable.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
x1

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Randy
ajf wrote:

Randy,

If you still have the problem, then I should be able to help you diagnose the cause of the problem. I was a software engineer for over 40 years, so I have a good understanding of computers.

You say that your Hottop does not communicate with your laptop.

If we replace your laptop with mine, and it works, then the problem is related to your computer.
If it still doesn't work, then the problem is caused by a bad USB cable or a bad HotTop. Replacing your USB cable with mine will show which.

If the problem is with your computer, then it is caused either by a hardware fault, or a configuration issue.
If it is a hardware fault, I can lend you an old laptop to use until you can get yours fixed.
If it is a configuration issue, I can check how it is configured, and make any necessary corrections.

Alan

Alan,
Thank you so much for the generous offer. I sent you a private message. This is a brand new laptop so I'm hoping it isn't a computer issue but a least if it is I'm still covered under warranty. I did find that my intel driver was out of date and updated it so I'm hoping that will solve the problem...just not willing to tackle it tonight.
I will most likely give you a call over the weekend regardless...thanks again.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

Randy
Randy G wrote:

I would suggest starting with a different USB cable.

Will do Randy.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

Johnh
New to the group. Having similar problems. I'm using an older MacBook Pro (mid 2010) updated to Sierra (latest version of OS/X) Luckily I also have windows 10 on a virtual machine I can use on this laptop. I'd prefer to use artisan on the OS/X side of the computer as it's more convenient and uses much less battery resources.

I followed the instructions for artisan as well, IIRC it gave links to 2 possible sources of serial port drivers - one of which I downloaded and installed - it did nothing (prolific PL2303 I think). Artisan on the OS/x side can't see the meter (Amprobe TMD 56). The second link listed does charge a fee for their serial port drivers. I've no idea if it works as I did not try to download it. IIRC they had some sort of 'test' to check compatibility that I did download, but it didn't really do anything.

Running artisan on the Windows side (using the same physical usb port) seems to be fine. It can be a little balky to get it started - but once Artisan is running and sees the meter it does fine.

I'd still prefer to run on the OS/x side. I don't know about serial drivers and what I'm doing to my mbp to just start randomly loading drivers hoping something works.

I'm not attempting to control my roaster - just monitor and chart profiles. Roasting on a freshroast SR500.
Edited by Johnh on 04/11/2017 21:43

JackH
Hi Johnh,

What meter are you using to read temps?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Johnh
Amprobe tmd56 multimeter. Its on the artisan supported devices list and works fine on w10. Marko answered an email I sent (Thank you, Marko) and said others have succesfully used the amprobe unit on os/x.

I should start another thread elsewhere so as not to hijack this thread.

Johnh
I thought I would carefully go through the process and get port settings, etc. to try and sort my problem out.

And it works today. Reading temp probe fine on OS/x. The MBP has been restarted a few times since I initially attempted to read the meter. Maybe something finally took, I dunno.

mac-usb-serial dot com does indicate a fee for their serial drivers. That is where the NoZap driver link eventually takes you. The driver I tried first was the Prolificusa driver link - this driver seems to be working now.
Edited by Johnh on 04/12/2017 07:28

Jump to Forum: