bullet2.gif Getting Rid of Static
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif Heat Gun...Max Ca... [228]
bullet2.gif TC4 with aArtisan... [217]
bullet2.gif PETS also part of... [70]
bullet2.gif My Experience wit... [44]
bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster... [32]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 1

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 4,888
bullet2.gif Newest Member: busterbk9
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 04/26/2017 02:49
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 5911
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » ALL ABOUT ROASTERS » HotTop Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cant get Artisan to respond! What am I doing wrong?
Randy
plugged in my usb to both my unit and my laptop, no response. thought maybe I had the wrong usb port so I tried all three, no response, what am I doing wrong? Using windows 10
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

renatoa
Any driver required to install ?
DIY: TurboOven, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers

JackH
I am not familiar with the HotTop interface. There may be a setting on the HotTop to put it in datalogging mode?

Usually Windows will detect a USB device when it is plugged in. Did you get any pop up from windows searching for a driver?

Also try Control Panel --> Device manager and see if any new devices appear.

Not sure about the Hottop but you usually have to define the device in Artisan.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ajf
You need to install a VCP FTDI Serial Driver for Artisan to communicate with the hottop.
Check out https://www.hottopusa.com/news.html as a starting point.

I also have a KN-8828B-2K+ and use Artisan without any problems, and live in Ridge.
If you have any problem, send me a PM (click the message box below this post), and I will try to help you get things sorted out.

Alan
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Randy G
If you have the latest version of Artisan here are the start up instructions for control:

1 - Follow the instructions HERE to complete the basic Artisan setup.
In particular you need to have the VCP FTDI serial driver installed for the communication between your computer and the Hottop serial chip. This is a virtual COM port that allows Artisan and the computer to communicate through the USB port and to "see" and "talk to" the Hottop.
2 - Plug in roaster
3 - Start Artisan on your computer

If you have already done steps 1 through 3, the next two steps are where most people have solved their problems:
4 - To get Artisan to "see" the roaster, the correct COM port must be set in the Artisan menu system:
A - Open menu item in Artisan "CONFIGURE" and select "Serial Ports Configuration:
B - In the "Comm Port" widow make note of all listed ports. Then close window.
C - Connect USB cable to roaster to computer
D - Open same menu item again and look for a COM port that just appeared which was not there before. That new COM port is the Hottop. Select that port and close the pop up window.
6 - Click the "ON" button on the Artisan main screen. At this point the Artisan interface should display the way you chose to set it up (temperatures displaying correctly, slider controls, etc.)
Artisan is now ready to log the roast

For Artisan Control of Hottop:
7 - RIGHT click the time display in the upper right hand corner of Artisan. When you do this you will see the text "SUPER ON" or "SUPER OFF" (it toggles with each click then disappears). It will appear for one or two seconds above the upper LEFT hand corner of the Artisan graph area . "Super On" is for Artisan control of the Hottop.
8 - Click the "CONTROL" button in the Artisan interface. The Hottop roaster should now start operating (drum turning and heat and fan working according to the Artisan settings). Additionally, all display characters should be blue on the Hottop and the USB icon should be illuminated.

NOTE: If you have made any changes to settings in Artisan and still have problems, close Artisan and restart it to be sure settings are in effect.

If the above didn't work, try uninstalling and downloading the current version of Artisan and begin again.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
x1 x1

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Randy
Thanks Randy and all for the response. I didn't bug you Randy because the hottop manual says to go to Artisan for any issues, which I did...which was useless.

I downloaded the driver and will try it tomorrow as we have closed all of our offices due to the upcoming blizzard.
Everything for a reason...after not being able to get artisan going yesterday, I did a manual roast with some Guatamalan Tres Maria and had a pot this morning. I was the best roast I have ever done! Now I can't wait to see how my roasts look on the graph but I was glad I did the manual roast without it first.
I am really enjoying the hottop, I find it easy to use, easy to clean and I am really enjoying the coffee I'm roasting...as is my family.ThumbsUp
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

Randy
ajf wrote:

You need to install a VCP FTDI Serial Driver for Artisan to communicate with the hottop.
Check out https://www.hottopusa.com/news.html as a starting point.

I also have a KN-8828B-2K+ and use Artisan without any problems, and live in Ridge.
If you have any problem, send me a PM (click the message box below this post), and I will try to help you get things sorted out.

Alan

Wow, Ridge IS close by...I will definitely keep you in mind thanks!

MaKoMo
Don't install the FTDI driver on OS X 10.9 or newer as it will conflict with the systems provided driver! Please follow the Artisan installation instructions for your platform as linked from the Artisan Github page and the post on the Hottop 2k+ post on the Artisan blog, as well linked there.

Randy
MaKoMo wrote:

Don't install the FTDI driver on OS X 10.9 or newer as it will conflict with the systems provided driver! Please follow the Artisan installation instructions for your platform as linked from the Artisan Github page and the post on the Hottop 2k+ post on the Artisan blog, as well linked there.

I will NOT use the Artisan site again for any driver. Their link directed me to some business that charged me $40 bucks for the driver that never came and screwed up my computer. Luckily I got a refund and cleared all their garbage off my laptop. Randy's info was much clearer and I will find out later how it worked out. As far as Artisan for help and direction...they have no clue what that is IMHO.

Randy
Randy G wrote:

If you have the latest version of Artisan here are the start up instructions for control:
SNIP

Okay I downloaded and installed the driver with no obvious problems. When I plugged into the roaster and checked the config it showed COM PORT 3 only both before and after being plugged into the roaster. I uninstalled and reinstalled Artisan and the same thing, COM 3 showing only.
Any ideas?
Edited by JackH on 03/15/2017 04:33

MaKoMo

I will NOT use the Artisan site again for any driver. Their link directed me to some business that charged me $40 bucks for the driver that never came and screwed up my computer. Luckily I got a refund and cleared all their garbage off my laptop. Randy's info was much clearer and I will find out later how it worked out. As far as Artisan for help and direction...they have no clue what that is IMHO.

Thanks for your feedback Randy,

I would love to be know where "Artisan" linked you to some business that charged you those $40 to be able to fix this mistake for others in the future. Note that even if we would link to "some business", it was not us charging you, in contrast we gave you something for free!).

I just checked the Artisan installation instructions at https://github.co...llation.md as well as the README distributed with the Artisan builds and couldn't find any link to a commercial driver that could charge you. Anyhow, I am not aware of any commercial FTDI driver as needed for your Hottop, as the only authorised drivers come from the company producing the hardware and those are free of charge on all platforms. As a service to the community, we also link to the CP201 driver (not relevant for your hardware, but for others) as well as the PL2303 drivers, both freely available without any charge from the chipset vendors via those links.

Strong words towards a volunteer open-source project run solely by myself with excellent support by a few open-minds from the roasting community. So I take this critique and accept that I have no glue about the software that I developed during the past 7 years for a number of hardware platforms, and which is used by several 10k people (mostly professionals) across this planet and hope that those that make money with the help of my "product", like the company Hottop, will support you well.

Marko
Edited by JackH on 03/15/2017 04:31
x4

JackH
Randy wrote:

Okay I downloaded and installed the driver with no obvious problems. When I plugged into the roaster and checked the config it showed COM PORT 3 only both before and after being plugged into the roaster. I uninstalled and reinstalled Artisan and the same thing, COM 3 showing only.
Any ideas?

When you disconnect the HotTop, does COM 3 go away? (Disconnect the Hottop USB and restart Artisan.)

I believe that this driver grabs the next available COM port. Usually COM 1 and 2 are taken by the system.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
COM allocation and release could be observed in device manager without any need to have Artisan installed.
If a COMx port don't appear and disappear in device manager when plug/unplug HT, then the issue is related to system/driver incompatibility, surely not related to Artisan at all.

JackH
Understood about Device Manager. Since he already has Artisan installed, I went the easier route. See step 4A in Randy G's post (#4). Artisan displays available COM ports in it's configuration menu.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ajf
Randy wrote:

Randy G wrote:

SNIP

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like you have not configured Artisan for use with HotTop.
Artisan is designed to work with a large variety of different hardware configurations, and unless you tell it what configuration you are using, it will not work correctly.
If you follow Randy G's link to complete the basic Artisan Setup, you will have to complete step 3 (Reading from the KN-8828B-2K+) to get things to work at all, and you will need to complete steps 4 and 5 to get it to work the way you want it,

Alan
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

rgrosz78
Randy wrote:I will NOT use the Artisan site again for any driver. Their link directed me to some business that charged me $40 bucks for the driver that never came and screwed up my computer. Luckily I got a refund and cleared all their garbage off my laptop. Randy's info was much clearer and I will find out later how it worked out. As far as Artisan for help and direction...they have no clue what that is IMHO.

Randy, it sounds like maybe you saw a pop-up browser ad?! I've never seen anything like what you described.

Many other Hottop users have found Marko (and the artisan site) to be VERY useful. I have found answers to many of my questions there.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

www.softwarepolish.com
Randy
MaKoMo wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Randy,

I would love to be know where "Artisan" linked you to some business that charged you those $40 to be able to fix this mistake for others in the future. Note that even if we would link to "some business", it was not us charging you, in contrast we gave you something for free!).

I just checked the Artisan installation instructions at https://github.co...llation.md as well as the README distributed with the Artisan builds and couldn't find any link to a commercial driver that could charge you. Anyhow, I am not aware of any commercial FTDI driver as needed for your Hottop, as the only authorised drivers come from the company producing the hardware and those are free of charge on all platforms. As a service to the community, we also link to the CP201 driver (not relevant for your hardware, but for others) as well as the PL2303 drivers, both freely available without any charge from the chipset vendors via those links.

Strong words towards a volunteer open-source project run solely by myself with excellent support by a few open-minds from the roasting community. So I take this critique and accept that I have no glue about the software that I developed during the past 7 years for a number of hardware platforms, and which is used by several 10k people (mostly professionals) across this planet and hope that those that make money with the help of my "product", like the company Hottop, will support you well.

Marko

Marko,
I obviously liked your program enough to spend an additional $500 on my roaster so I could use it. It would be nice if I could. I found the github site difficult to navigate and nearly impossible to get any timely help with technical issues. That you provide it for free is nice, but at least when I pay for something I can expect support...hell I'd PAY for support for someone to remotely fix this. As far as the link, there did not appear to be a pop up, I followed the link appropriate for my computer to obtain a driver and the site appeared. I ended up spending the whole day fixing the mess they left my computer so to say I was pissed is an understatement. Glad to know you had nothing to do with them but if they are somehow hacking into your links the last thing I want to do is go back looking for that link and deal with any of that again. My free time is precious and I am really looking forward to using Artisan but instead I have spent days screwing around with this when I'd rather just be roasting...so that's what I've been doing....roasting on manual...coming up with some great results and then cursing that I did not have Artisan up and running so I could see my results on graph and get a clue as to what I did right.
And for all your opinions about my critique of Artisan...nowhere in that response was ANY suggestion about what I might do to fix the problem...so I rest my case.
x1

Randy
JackH wrote:

Randy wrote:

Any ideas?

When you disconnect the HotTop, does COM 3 go away? (Disconnect the Hottop USB and restart Artisan.)

I believe that this driver grabs the next available COM port. Usually COM 1 and 2 are taken by the system.

No COM 3 is the ONLY port that has EVER shown and I have 3 USB ports

Randy
renatoa wrote:

COM allocation and release could be observed in device manager without any need to have Artisan installed.
If a COMx port don't appear and disappear in device manager when plug/unplug HT, then the issue is related to system/driver incompatibility, surely not related to Artisan at all.

Okay that sounds hopeful, now what do I do to fix it?

renatoa
Can't advise for your specific case, but I can tell what I am doing myself, a computer professional: for any serial communication project I have a separate antique laptop, featuring a hardware serial port, not a virtual port emulated using an USB cable/adapter/driver.
And more, that machine is running XP !
The same you can hear from any serious professional working with industry equipment over serial line.
The software serial implementations, especially on Vista and newer OS, simply can't be trusted for reliability.

Though, you could try to install a virtual XP machine on your W10, maybe you have luck with XP USB drivers.

Jump to Forum: