bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster Build
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif TC4 with aArtisan... [217]
bullet2.gif PETS also part of... [70]
bullet2.gif My Experience wit... [44]
bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster... [32]
bullet2.gif Cant get Artisan ... [27]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 8

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 4,885
bullet2.gif Newest Member: Chip
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 04/24/2017 07:43
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 5904
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Is the Hottop REALLY worth the price?
Anyhowe
Hi all. First post. Just ordered a 2kb. I opted BASE over plus as I could not see the advantage of the software for this purpose. Don't get me wrong I like the concept and my beer brewing systems are completely automated. The difference for me was the beer making process is the same with no regard to temperature and grain type. In my eyes the coffee roast is much more dynamic depending on the first or second roast, the ambient temperature and the bean itself. But the main reason was that the whole process takes less than 1/2 hour. I can hang and make human adjustments as necessary. For beer making it is 6 plus hours of baby sitting.
So school me here; what am I missing ?

Randy G
The biggest difference between the KN-8828B-2K and the KN-8828B-2K+ is that with the Artisan software, the "+" can roast on a temperature-priority basis through its "alarm" programming.

Start with a YouTube search for "Mill City Roasters Roaster School."

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
turtle
Anyhowe wrote:

Hi all. First post. Just ordered a 2kb. I opted BASE over plus as I could not see the advantage of the software for this purpose. Don't get me wrong I like the concept and my beer brewing systems are completely automated. The difference for me was the beer making process is the same with no regard to temperature and grain type. In my eyes the coffee roast is much more dynamic depending on the first or second roast, the ambient temperature and the bean itself. But the main reason was that the whole process takes less than 1/2 hour. I can hang and make human adjustments as necessary. For beer making it is 6 plus hours of baby sitting.
So school me here; what am I missing ?

The updated control panel is well worth the price of admission.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
x1 x1

Anyhowe
Thanks. I Agree as I struggled over that option. The dials alone seem like it gets much easier. But in the end I could not pull the $500 trigger.

Anyhowe
Randy G wrote:

The biggest difference between the KN-8828B-2K and the KN-8828B-2K+ is that with the Artisan software, the "+" can roast on a temperature-priority basis through its "alarm" programming.

Start with a YouTube search for "Mill City Roasters Roaster School."
. Just a noob here. Does the temp control ignore time then? I was had the understanding that time between cracks for example was important. Or is it just temp? Thx

Randy G
All the "B" models have controls that allow adjustment of fan speed and heating element power. The factory programming of the "AUTO" mode on all our roasters as well as any saved programs in the "B" models operate on a time priority basis. That is, when you run a saved program, the roaster will make changes at the elapsed time from the "ADD BEANS" signal you had previously made the change, regardless as to the current temperature in the roast chamber or temperature of the beans.

of course, if you are controlling the roaster manually throughout the roast none of that matters.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
x1

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
turtle
Anyhowe wrote:

Thanks. I Agree as I struggled over that option. The dials alone seem like it gets much easier. But in the end I could not pull the $500 trigger.

I do not believe that the straight B2-K models have BT/ET probes (yet).

The plus model does.

You can modify a B2-K to add these if you are handy with tools and are not afraid of modifying a new $1k roasting machine.

I modified the B model I still own (it is a plus model now) BUT.... I bought mine several years ago after the previous owner had caught it on fire. I was only into it for $150.00 so tearing it apart, drilling and tapping the rear wall and adding probes was easy as my cost/risk was minimal.

The B2-K is a good roaster but understand the temp it is telling you is the single probe temp and will not reflect either BT or ET as it is effectively an average and mostly used to control the emergency functions (too hot eject/shut-down and too hot to restart functions).

It is useful but does not reflect what is happening. You will find you use visual and smell more to roast than the temp that is displayed to you (at least I did). It is consistent so once you are used to seeing the temps at the roasting points you can use it to gauge your roasting.

Randy
Thoroughly enjoying the new roaster which I have named Ginny (I name all my beloved appliances) I have done several roasts on auto and was pleased with all but 2 Ethiopian roasts that seemed to have smaller beans and roasted too quickly IMHO. Still trying to build up my nerve to go manual...I need to review the instruction manual first to see how to start.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

turtle
Randy wrote:

Thoroughly enjoying the new roaster which I have named Ginny (I name all my beloved appliances) I have done several roasts on auto and was pleased with all but 2 Ethiopian roasts that seemed to have smaller beans and roasted too quickly IMHO. Still trying to build up my nerve to go manual...I need to review the instruction manual first to see how to start.

Start with the auto setting then change the fan and heat at the point/time you feel you need more or less to maintain your roast profile.

I used this paper roast log for quite a while before automating everything (BT/ET probes and logging the roast with software)

http://www.coffee...ng_Log.pdf

JackH
Glad you are enjoying the HotTop Randy.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Randy
Thanks Jack, I'm having so much fun. I spent most of the afternoon watching "Roaster School" videos from Mill City Roasters and I learned so much! I was especially pleased that they discussed those using a whirley pop as well as a commercial roaster...ya just don't see a lot of that around. What I learned gave me so much more insight into my roasts that I think I want to hook up the artisan...not so much to duplicate a roast but just to learn what I'm doing right now and how it equates on the graphs. I still have not picked up my owners manual to see how to roast other than auto...that's the project for today.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

Randy
Start with the auto setting then change the fan and heat at the point/time you feel you need more or less to maintain your roast profile.

I used this paper roast log for quite a while before automating everything (BT/ET probes and logging the roast with software)

http://www.coffee...ng_Log.pdf

Thanks Turtle! Todays project is to go through the manual and figure out how to use this bad girl out of auto. I want to hook up the artisan and see what I'm doing on the graphs just for my own learning...funny, I didn't think I would go near artisan for about a year but after watching those Mill City Roaster videos yesterday my curiosity is peaking...
So are you saying I can use auto but control the fan speed and heat as well? Can I do that and still use artisan?
Ah...today is gonna be fun!

Jump to Forum: