OnlineAdmin
· 08/06/2020 3:33 PM
Allenb, how are you doing?

Oneal
· 08/05/2020 1:08 PM
Is anyone roasting on a Coffee Tech FZ 94? Using Artisan. Need help. thumbdown

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,681
Newest Member: rrgudur
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Behmor Cleaning
racer7
I've been using the 1600+ ever since it came out. I prefer my equipment clean and that is necessary if you want the most flexibility out of it- lest its lawyer inspired time outs create problems.

Joe has done a great job t the price point but it takes some work to keep it clean.

First, cleaning the air paths requires extra effort due to the number of small sheet metal screws to remove and the snags and difficulty accessing places. Minimum tools are a long soft brush and a long stiff brush plus cleaning chemicals on surfaces.
The coffee oils in the air path attract and hold dust tenaciously which is where chemicals come in but be sure to keep them minimal and away from electrics.
I get a lot of dust on the exhaust panel on mine and a fair amount in the chute leaving the big fan.

To clean the internals I suggest ignoring Joe's Simple Green recommendation. It is not an aggressive enough cleaner to remove baked on coffee oils well. I use either 409 or the purple degreaser from auto parts places. Follow with a water or alcohol wipe or wash as appropriate.

Though I haven't tested it, given the stainless construction of tray and drum, I'll bet one could use even more aggressive degreasers like barbecue degreaser or even automotive parts cleaners meant for cleaning carbs. Even driveway dgreasers.. Just stay away from anything with chlorides which will pit stainless

After degreasing the chaff tray with 409 or purple I put it and the drum in my dishwasher.

Note Joe's 5 cycle recommendation for cleaning. Accurate in my experience. Will be a bunch more work if put off for long.

Mine still looks nearly new.

Don't forget the pre heat run before roasting. Will get rid of any cleaning residue if you're sloppy and careless.

FWIW, despite the fact that the Behmor isn't intended for dark roasts and despite its time locks, it can readily be manipulated to do dark roasts if you understand its operation. Easier if its clean. Not for me though, I hate charcoal in my coffee.
Aside from not liking carbon, stuff tends to taste almost identical if blackened. (Which of course means cheap commodity arabicas will taste fairly similar to much better stuff- perhaps the reason it is done commercially by some)
Edited by racer7 on 05/25/2016 6:55 PM

turtle
I've found the both TSP and Oxy clean work well on coffee oils if you soak in hot solution, then scrub
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

JackH

racer7 wrote:

Joe has done a great job t the price point but it takes some work to keep it clean.

To clean the internals I suggest ignoring Joe's Simple Green recommendation. It is not an aggressive enough cleaner to remove baked on coffee oils well. I use either 409 or the purple degreaser from auto parts places. Follow with a water or alcohol wipe or wash as appropriate.

Note Joe's 5 cycle recommendation for cleaning. Accurate in my experience. Will be a bunch more work if put off for long.

Who is Joe?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

racer7
Joe is Joe Behm the inventor and significant contributor to both home roasting and improved SCAA certified brewers. Never met him but you can get a good idea of his dedication and personality from his acknowledgements on the Behmor website.

OxyClean, commercial dishwashing powders, and powdered laundry detergents share various properties, including extreme alkalinity. Either (or both) alkalinity or solvency for fats/oils is the way most degreasers work. Lots of possibilities given the chemically resistant stainless construction of tray and drum.

Tony_C
Mine still looks very new. Between cleaning cycles, manual cleaning, thorough brushing down and vacuuming (Dyson hand held works awesome) after each roast, mine is performing very well. I have 10oz of Monsooned Malabar roasting right now awaiting 1st crack.

I do need to perform the more thorough breakdown cleaning though like Joe recommends by tearing is down some to vacuum out the exhaust areas.

1st crack started!

And I agree with racer7, Contrary to popular belief, I have gotten some really nice dark roasts from mine. The downside is that it does produce a fair amount of excess smoke that the suppressor cant handle. Hence my need to do a break down cleaning.

Cooling now!
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

Tony_C
First batch of Malabar done!
Tony_C attached the following image:
monsooned_malabar.jpg

Edited by Tony_C on 05/29/2016 5:12 PM
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

Jump to Forum: